RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lake Shore Limited Line Number Changes?

Author Topic: Lake Shore Limited Line Number Changes?
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend was booked on the LSL in May in Car 4810, a Chicago to NYP sleeper. When he picked up his tickets, he had somehow been shifted to 4812. I hold tickets for 4810 in July and decided to check with the reservations office to see if anything had changed. Indeed we now are in 4811. Apparently they are eliminating the 4810 car when they add the Boston sleeper which will be 4820. This seems odd as the first car they typically fill is the "10" car then "11". Sometimes the computer will assign the "best" rooms regardless of car first (near center of the car). It just seems like lots of work for Amtrak to have to shuffle people around instead of just eliminating 4812. I assume they are doing this to avoid confusion between cars 4810 and 4820 but that is strange...never happened in the old days. My friend moves from room 2 to 3 while we retain the same deluxe bedroom B. Once the new schedule is in effect (1 hour earlier eastbound plus through Boston sleeper effective later this week), can someone on the route verify the placement of the sleepers and line numbers?
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same issue. I was the absolute first purchase on 48 in June and am going all the way from Chicago to NYP. When they moved me to the 4811 car, I was confused.

Basically, they took all the current reservations, then started reassigning cars based on destination. The older reservations first. This way, if there are not enough rooms, the NEWEST reservations would get dropped first.

As for placement on the train, I suspect they will put the Boston sleeper up front, right behind the Boston baggage car.

Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Printman. Did you already have your ticket when you found out about this? Did they say whether you need to have the ticket reissued? Since it will show up correctly on the manifest, I don't want to do an exchange as mine was via Guest Rewards. I'd have to mail it back and hope it is not lost and I also know that Guest Rewards often has to cancel entire reservations to rebook anything. Even though Amtrak handled this, AGR might mess it up.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two reservations. One was purchased (my son and me) and the other was AGR (my wife and other son). I do not have tickets for either, I will pick them up on the day of departure.

Amtrak did call me about both of them (even the AGR) to inform me of the new departure time from CUS.

Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Thanks for the info. Have a great trip. If anyone else sees the LSL in coming weeks, please tell us how the consist is arranged.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that the Lake Shore's Boston cars are placed on the head of the New York cars both East and Westward. This makes the most operational sense as the only cut needed is that of #49's power. The entire WW 449 consist is simply backed down at the Maintenance Facility and added to the head of #49.

EW #48-448 is even more straight forward; 448 power and cars are cut from 48, then pulls South to the Depot for its station stop. #48's ALB-NYP power now is coupled to the head and it pulls South for its station stop.

No drilling of cars necessary; and existing labor agreements, even the considerably more restrictive ones from "back in my day', allow the two Road crews to handle that work (drilling cars is Yard crew's work)!

Only downside; if you are a 448/9 Sleeper passenger, hope you enjoy air horns.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another downside: between Albany and Chicago, a Boston sleeper occupant must walk through the two Boston coaches and two or three New York coaches plus a lounge car to reach the dining car. In early morning, this involves dodging people standing in the aisles rearranging belongings or headed to the restroom, plus trying not to trip over feet sticking out from people still sleeping.

Westbound from Boston, it's almost worth riding coach to Albany (a daytime trip) and getting a New York sleeper - right next to the dining car!

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page