RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Vancouver BC Train Station

Author Topic: Vancouver BC Train Station
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be spending one night in Vancouver before a cruise in October. We will arrive via the Cascades 510 and need to get some Canadian dollars for our cabs, meals, etc. over the next day.

The cruise forum has someone by the intrigueing name of Zephyr who states that the ATM at the Vancouver station charges an "exhorbitant" extra fee to obtain money and recommends going across the street to the Sky Train station ATM.

Anyone here with experience in this area?

Also found it interesting that AGR took my extra points for Business Class on the 510 but I see, at least as of now, there is no Talgo and no Business Class operating on that train. Guess I will have to battle to get the points back if this is still so in October.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
The cruise forum has someone by the intrigueing name of Zephyr who states...

I suppose if someone by that name said it, it's best not to doubt it.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie, how about getting what you need from your own bank?

If they must "order it in', then likely the plastic bandit at the VIA Station (sometimes called the Pacific Coast Station or even the CN Station) is likely no worse of a rip off than any other source.

Finally, how much currency will you need safely presuming you and Mr. Art are AGR point chasers and will use credit cards for all transactions possible.

In short, even if the cabbie takes your US at par, what are you "out".

Just be certain you have a good supply of US in small denominations; you don't want your change from a US$50 returned to you in funny money.

As of a few moments ago the exchange rate is US$1.00 CD$1.21; judge to what extent you consider the 21% premium a reasonable "convenience charge"

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, unless things have changed since last fall (when I was last in Canada--though in the east, not in Vancouver), your best bet in Canada is to use your credit card WHENEVER you can, for meals and even for little gift shop purchases and stamps and coffee and so on! The exchange rate/fees on the credit card (at least, through last fall) were invariably lower than those at any bank or other exchange place (including getting Canadian money here at my local bank in advance, as Mr Norman recommends). I have also found that most establishments in Canada (inc Vancouver) take Mastercard even for small purchases (unlike for example Boston, where many of the cheaper restaurants did not accept credit cards last fall) So, however much you exchange for Canadian cash, no need to exchange too much--just rely on the credit card as much as possible.

About the only things for which I ever have to use cash in Canada are taxis, buses, and other little transportation fees (for instance, the Metro or the little ferry to Granville Island). I suppose also tips to hotel porters, but that didn't arise in my case on any visits. I generally keep some Canadian cash on hand from the last trip to use when I arrive, but when I don't have it, I have found that you can always use AMERICAN money with a cab driver (I have done so more than once in Montreal); what happens is, the driver treats the American money as if it's Canadian, and you lose in the exchange rate (i.e., if the fare is $7 Canadian, you can pay $7 American if you like, they will take it hahaha why not, your money is worth more!). Unless things have changed and the American dollar is now worth less than the Canadian (I haven't been following it), I imagine this will be the case in Vancouver too.

BTW, when we arrived in Vancouver station 2 years ago, it took FOREVER to get a taxi from Vancouver station to our hotel near the cruise ship terminal downtown. We were told that all the taxis were at the airport, not many at the train station, because it was the day before cruise ship day! (though we were not taking a cruise, we were taking Rocky Mountaineer next day; it was just our bad luck to come that day!) It was May, a Friday I think; no idea if same situation will apply for you in October, esp in this economy. Anyway, that makes me think you might want to consider trying to book a taxi in advance. In that case, you could possibly pay in advance on your credit card . . . many cab companies, though they won't take credit cards with the driver, will take them for advance bookings. BUT I am not sure this is a good idea, because it locks you into taking the cab you paid for, and if you don't know the line, you don't know how reliable it might be. I have sometimes had trouble in places where I arrange a cab in advance (though I've never paid in advance); it wasn't there when I wanted it and I had to wait; I would rather have caught a different company's cab that WAS there! So I'm not sure about doing this.

Vancouver does have a Metro (I think that's what they call it), as noted--a small one, but they keep expanding it for the 2010 Olympics. It stops right across from the Vancouver VIARail station into which you will come on Amtrak. However, it's elevated there and I'm not sure how manageable it would be with luggage, esp with the amount of luggage one often takes on cruises. But it's cheap, almost free! And it stopped near our hotel by the cruise terminal area, as I recall.

Another tip in Canada: buy a $5 Canadian calling card and use that for all your phone calls. You can get one in lots of CVS-type or 7-11-type stores in downtown Vancouver (just ask at your hotel what's the nearest; though note some are closed on Sundays in downtown Vancouver). Don't use your cellphone in Canada, it will cost you an arm and a leg. And some hotels will also charge too much for using their phones.

Don't know what hotel you are staying in, but if it's near the cruise terminal (at least, the cruise terminal from which I sailed; might there could be more than one?) and if you like interesting ethnic/pan-Asian food, I strongly recommend a late lunch at a trendy but very nice restaurant called Wild Rice, 117 W Pender at Abbott, 604-642-2882, www.wildricevancouver.com. It is located on the part of Abbott that is moving into a less fancy area but is a trendy place, though very nice staff and owner (both times when I was there, he came over to ask how I liked it). Among other things, they have interesting (and not too small) small plates items, like taro & crabcake, kabocha & squash potsticker, and this fabulous red date plantain banana bread dessert, plus lovely little green drinks called jade slippers. Except for the drinks, I shared everything with the friends I was with. When I last checked (2 years ago), the restaurant was open for lunch on weekdays and dinner 7 days (but dinner may be too pricey) and did not take reservations. Oh, and don't miss the bathrooms! BTW, they definitely took credit cards.

For morning coffee etc there is a small local chain called Caffé Artigiano, with one at 763 Hornby St, another at 1101 W Pender St in the cruise terminal area. It opens 6:30AM (though I'm not sure about weekends). They too took credit cards.

My favorite thing to see in Vancouver is Stanley Park, but it's a lovely city, I love just walking along the water in all sorts of places . . .

Oh, re the Amtrak train: Call Guest Rewards and cancel that part of the trip. If you haven't picked up your tickets (or had them mailed) it's easy; if not, you'll have to send them in a letter to get your points back (keep a xerox too in case they are lost in the mail). Business class or not, I have never used my points for this short a trip; it isn't too pricey, and I save my points for l-d sleepers. But I have made the trip twice on Talgo (once business class and once coach) and once on a substituted Superliner. I liked the latter best because it had an observation car; it was fantastic, we left our luggage downstairs & raced in and got the best seats and spent the whole trip there (left side facing forward northbound of course, the water side). There are often eagles near where you cross the border!

Have a great trip!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman: The railway station has been known for several years as Pacific Central Station which is the former CN and GN station. Unfortunately some years ago it was decided that Via would have to use this station (which is somewhat out of the city) and not the far more convenient downtown Canadian Pacific Station that is now being used as a commuter rail station for West Coast Express, the Skytrain and the ferry to North Vancouver.

Sojourner: The Canadian dollar depending on the day of the week, is worth about 18 to 20% less than the U.S. dollar. There is no "Metro"
in Vancouver, but there is the elevated Skytrain that has been expanded in recent years with service to both the former CP and CN stations.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Ms. Sojourner has been in Canada "once or twice" since I had any reason to be there (1988 to be specific), both she and I have noted that a cabbie would just take your US at par. True, this means that, at present exchange rates, you have paid a 21% premium for that ride, however your recourse is simply a reduced tip.

Otherwise, use credit cards to the fullest extent possible; while at one time credit cards offered banker's rates of exchange, they have of late created a profit center for themselves, but apparently not to the extent as the plastic bandit located in the station.

Finally on stations; the first time I visited Vancouver during 1962, the Great Northern had their own station, which was adjacent to the CN's. But as I recall, the CP station certainly appeared to be the more attractive edifice from which to start a rail journey, as seems to be the case in any city in which the two carriers had their own stations.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, RT--I had a feeling it wasn't called the Metro but had completely forgotten it was called the Skytrain. Getting old is no fun!

I really liked both the Skytrain and the old CP station--the latter is worth a stop in its own right, even if you are not taking the train. AND there is a vendor there called Tick Tock Watches (sp?) who sells watches very cheap. I bought one of theirs from their other place in Victoria for $12 Canadian and am still wearing it! It was quite attractive for a cheap, er, inexpensive watch--attractive enough to wear even when dressed up on the cruise (well, attractive enough for ME).

I agree that it is really annoying that the Amtrak & ViaRail trains don't go to this station. I am always annoyed when a train station is not conveniently located. One of the points of l-d train travel, in my opinion, is that you can go from city to city downtown. These train stations out in the 'burbs miss the point. (I am thinking, too, of Ottawa! not to mention Savannah, Jacksonville, Charleston, even Albany-Rensselaer. They should all be downtown, as no doubt many of them used to be. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A week ago I boarded the “Canadian” at the Pacific Central Station in Vancouver and I saw the afore-mentioned ATM (often called ABM here in Canada.) I did not need any cash, but if I did I would use that one before the one reported to be at the Skytrain station. This is not a nice area. Although I never felt threatened, it is never a pleasant experience to wade through all the beggars/drunks/druggies in the small park between the VIA and Skytrain stations. Is it not possible to purchase what Mr Norman calls “funny money” at a U.S. bank?

The end of the Skytrain station that is closer to the VIA station has a very long stairway. If carrying luggage, I recommend crossing the street (there are traffic lights) and using the opposite end of the station which has an escalator. The former CPR station at the downtown end of the line is called Waterfront station and there is an escalator to the street right beside the main cruise terminal: Canada Place. There is also direct underground access from the Skytrain to the Fairmont (formerly CPR) Waterfront Hotel. There is another ship terminal used on busy days, Ballantyne Pier, which is about a mile east of there and not conveniently accessible by public transport.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. We do intend to use credit cards during our short stay but felt we should have some cash for the taxi. Probably will get a small sum from the ATM at the station.

In reference to the taxis being tied up at the airport picking up cruisers - probably not, this is the last cruise of the season, the repostioning cruise heading down to San Diego. During the summer season though there are many ships leaving each weekend for Alaska and the airport thing is probably a concern.

David, thanks for your excellent info. We will be staying in town the one night and will aim for taxi transport. The mysterious Zephyr person indicates that most taxis actually take credit cards. How was your Canadian trip? We took it westbound two years ago, loved it.

Banks here, even in our big city, don't want to deal with "funny money". We did check at Thomas Cook, they wanted to provide C$100 for $98 US plus $7.95 for the transaction. I doubt that the ATM fee would exceed this ludicrous exchange rate.

And Sojourner, thanks for all the info. We have been on this train before on a Talgo. I will use my points, it is only 1500 but I will get the 500 back if they don't yet have BC available. I use the AGR Chase card so I amass points at a frightening rate. And I use Cruise Locators for my cruises which adds points x2 for each dollar spent.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Miss Vickie, even if the last time I set foot on Canadian soil (well, assuming pavement counts as soil) was during June 1988 to transfer from the last Love Tub I set foot on (a "positioning" cruise) in this life to the Airport for a CYVR-KSFO flight, I sincerely hope you and Mr. Art have an enjoyable journey.

While I had little use for the flick (save the several big name actors, "low bud"; plenty of ship file footage) "Out to Sea' and likely for the same reasons as I had little use for "Silver Streak II", I find all too many of the scenes (forgetting the farcial plotline) of the former to be all too real.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page