RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Specter Leaves the Dark Side

Author Topic: Specter Leaves the Dark Side
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can thank (or blame) Amtrak for Sen. Specter switching parties today. It's been reported on MSNBC that Joe Biden and Arlen Specter "rode the rails" together quite a bit from and to DC, and the VP has been lobbying the Pennsylvania senator for quite some time during those trips to cross over.

There is no truth to the rumor that moderate Republicans will soon be placed on the endangered species list (but their numbers are certainly dwindling).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a dues paying member of the Dark Side I am happy to see him go. Now if he would only take Snow and Collins with him.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skipping any political commentary, I can only say, Mr. Spector, don't let the door hit your butt on your way out.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The turnout for primaries consists of different folk than those in the general election. He could not survive in a Republican primary, so he did what he thought he had to do to stay in office.

After being in the Senate for 30 years, he apparently feels the Republic can not continue without him.

I disagree.

As for having a conversation with Biden on this subject while on Amtrak, I doubt that. You just don't discuss desertion on this scale in a public place.

Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth be known, he left a long time ago. He just made it official, even though he said it shouldn't happen only 12 days ago on Hannity's show.

It's just another step towards the rebirth of The Republic of Texas.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, when Texas secedes, will Austin be an enclave like Berlin was? Anyway, your secessionist, anti-American governor would like to hold up on the "rebirth" until the federal anti-swine flu funds arrive.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I grew up, I was taught not to use swear words - you know like d@mm, hell, and DEMOCRAT.

The political party in which I was indoctrinated (but get your 'balance" from reading The New York Times) was one of fiscal responsibility, free enterprise, freedom of choice, and RESPECT for the "loyal opposition'.

Sorry, that simply is not the party of Rush ("I hope he fails"), Sean, Sarah, and Joe the Plumber.

To the point, I have to accept Chris Matthews comment last evening that this was not ideology on the part of Sen. Spector (now D-PA); he is free to vote as he pleases on any motion of Cloture. But it has everything to do with a 2010 re-election bid.

But to return the discussion to anything resembling passenger rail, Sen. Specter is "East Penn" and as such is pro-Corridor. The last "West Penn" US Senator, Sen. Santorum (R-PA), was "uh not exactly" pro-any kind of passenger rail.

Finally, the question to what extent can any of the above noted "personalities", plus and including Kieth and Madcow, be considered broadcast journalists; I'm afraid they are entertainers - which is why I "tune 'em all out'. The only panel discussion shows that can be considered journalism are the three Sunday morning network offerings (plus PBS Washington Week).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocala Mike, as long as the liberals live within our constitution, there will be no problems. {We plan on using most of the US Constitution; it's not being used right now.}

And we do not have a secessionist/anti-American governor, so I have no idea what you are attempting to communicate.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman, who {besides PBS} do you consider to be a journalist on the main network Sunday shows?

The only old style journalist I have noticed on any of the Sunday shows is Britt Hume.

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get limited coverage of US news over here. CNBC and Sky show the NBC and CBS nightly news respectively but due to the time difference it is late at night. The only 24 hour US news channel we get is Fox....

A programme I always enjoyed was the McLaughlin Group but that was dropped from the schedules about a year ago. Indeed, the EPG still had it listed when something else was going out in its slot. Anybody know what happened to Tony Blankley? The last few weeks I saw McLaughlin he wasn't on it but there had been no mention of him leaving/retiring.

I also became a big fan of Meet the Press but that was also rescheduled from 5.00pm to late at night and I haven't watched it since the tribute to the late, great Tim Russert.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Williams, Tony Blankley got displaced in favor of Fox Blonde (PhD) Dr. Monica Crowley. Lawrence O'Donnell 'got whacked' after his anti-Mormon blast during the '08 Campaign.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Tangential (Opinion)--

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/opinion/30collins.html

Brief passage:

Imagine those Amtrak conversations between Joe Biden and Arlen Specter.

The vice president’s devotion to taking the train home to Wilmington, Del., is legend. It turns out that besides reinforcing his commitment to mass transit, Biden’s commute also gave him hours and hours of uninterrupted quality time with the senator from Pennsylvania.

Which he used to urge Specter to ditch the Republicans.

“We have talked over every problem under the sun and under the moon,” said Specter, at a welcome-to-the-Democratic-Party press conference with Biden and President Obama.

Biden, Washington’s most compulsive talker, and Specter, one of the Senate’s most self-absorbed egos, rode the rails, sharing their every thought. Probably not in the quiet car. You’d think that by the time one of them paused to take a breath they’d be in Montreal

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Gil: [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Tangential (Opinion)--

Brief passage:

Imagine those Amtrak conversations between Joe Biden and Arlen Specter.

The vice president’s devotion to taking the train home to Wilmington, Del., is legend. It turns out that besides reinforcing his commitment to mass transit, Biden’s commute also gave him hours and hours of uninterrupted quality time with the senator from Pennsylvania.

Which he used to urge Specter to ditch the Republicans.

“We have talked over every problem under the sun and under the moon,” said Specter, at a welcome-to-the-Democratic-Party press conference with Biden and President Obama.

Biden, Washington’s most compulsive talker, and Specter, one of the Senate’s most self-absorbed egos, rode the rails, sharing their every thought. Probably not in the quiet car. You’d think that by the time one of them paused to take a breath they’d be in Montreal

But since the demise of the Montrealer, it would not have been possible for them to go all the way without a change of trains........

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Tangential (Opinion)--
Biden, Washington’s most compulsive talker, and Specter, one of the Senate’s most self-absorbed egos, rode the rails, sharing their every thought. Probably not in the quiet car. You’d think that by the time one of them paused to take a breath they’d be in Montreal[/i].

Now, this has got to be one of the most accurate assessments of these two I have ever seen anywhere.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. NY Times certainly allows too much hyperbole in their op-eds nowadays, although I find it surprising that they got Specter and Biden pegged in that manner, and using language you'd expect from the NY Post.

As for Specter, I perceive that it is ideology. His too-flippant comment about his former party going "too far to the right"* is anything but accurate, is a blanket statement lacking meaning, and only serves to create division more than anything (which makes it hypocritical).

* I find that offensive, especially in light of what's going on in the European Union and especially countries like Italy; the President said last month that he was "impressed" with "European leadership," which as a former resident of Ireland made my skin crawl. Italy is the current definition of "too far to the right", and now has too much influence over the fate of Ireland, since the group that leads Italy, Silvio Berlusconi's "Il Popolo del Liberta" (which is composed of Fascists) are right now the dominant voting bloc in the European People's Party, which dominates the European Parliament.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page