RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "A train journey to the soul of Britain"

Author Topic: "A train journey to the soul of Britain"
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great excerpt from a new book in the Financial Times last week. There are resonances with Amtrak:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f7927fbe-305e-11de-88e3-00144feabdc0.html

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Henry, I might just buy that book! Strangely evocative whilst being seemingly unbiased. In case anybody's wondering, that is London Paddington station in the photo, gateway to the west country and Wales, the station I arrive at when I have to suffer London (77 miles and 60 minutes away).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A brief quote from the article:

"One must allow for three factors: the difficulties of building through the British countryside; the weary fearfulness that afflicts a governing class with a long record of disastrous management of major public projects; and the temptations of short-termism that inevitably afflict here-today-gone-tomorrow politicians whose main aim is not to be gone until the day after tomorrow at least. "

When I dispair at the seeming incompetence of our government, there is some comfort that we are not the only country so burdened. We should keep that in mind regarding the construction of high speed rail.

Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Henry. I read a very good review of this in yesterday's Times so ordered it from Amazon (seems very good value at £7.50 - $11). Mr Engel is an engaging and intelligent writer, best known over here from having been the Editor of Wisden (the cricket bible).
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for locating this material, Mr. Kisor, and sharing same with the Forum.

After reviewing such, I'm just as glad my reasons for visiting the Mother Country expired during 1989 when my Sister and family completed their stint as expats.

When I visited the UK on roundly three year intervals during the family's 1970-89 'tour of duty' with Goldman, it was British Rail back then. Now I realize that the average Briton did not have access to the BritRailPass which made First Class travel simply so cheap you couldn't afford NOT to travel, and therefore had no access to the likes of the Midland Pullman. There was 'a gripin a plenty' by the Locals along with 'a ya I know you Yanks can come over here and ride for as good as nothin'", but it would certainly appear that service has only deterioriated from what I once knew.

And those fares noted in the excerpt? Acela First never looked so cheap (that's Brit for inexpensive, BTW).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,
Thanks. Nice bit of writing. The English seem to be able to use the language very effectively. To call the fellow who hassles us about taking pictures around the railroad a clodpole captures him beautifully. You need to try to work that word into your next publication.

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Now I realize that the average Briton did not have access to the BritRailPass which made First Class travel simply so cheap you couldn't afford NOT to travel, and therefore had no access to the likes of the Midland Pullman.

The BritRail pass was, and still is, only available to foreigners (non-EU I think). Roughly equivalent to the USA Rail Pass which I believe no longer exists.

quote:
...but it would certainly appear that service has only deterioriated from what I once knew.

That depends how you look at it. During the late 50s to late 60s there was a lot of investment and new infrastructure. But during the early Labour and later Conservative years that investment dwindled to almost nothing. After a brief spell of pretty much nothing happening, we now have new rolling stock in the majority of the country, old lines are reopening, and new signalling has gone in (with yours truly involved, though thankfully not in the German Siemens disasters (x2)). I recommend you visit again to see what happened in the last 20 years since you last apparently visited.

quote:
And those fares noted in the excerpt? Acela First never looked so cheap (that's Brit for inexpensive, BTW).

Er.... English for English you mean?

The media's favourite tactice for quoting train fares is to use the walk-up, peak time fare. As an example, Swindon to London walk-up, peak time fare is well over £100. But buy in advance - even just a few days - and you can be on the same train for £15 - as I did just last week.

quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
Henry,
Thanks. Nice bit of writing. The English seem to be able to use the language very effectively.

One would certainly hope the English would be able to speak English. Though to be fair some foreigners do seem to speak better than some people.

quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
To call the fellow who hassles us about taking pictures around the railroad a clodpole captures him beautifully. You need to try to work that word into your next publication.

You've got knee-jerk 11/9 reaction to thank for that. In case anybody here does feel like taking photos in the UK, speak to the station manager first. They are usually very accomodating as long as they hear about it from you beforehand rather than during the event from some over-zealous train dispatcher or even the British Transport Police, few of whom seem to know the guidelines (it's allowed) - though to be fair, the guidelines this week seems to depend on what happens to that butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world, such is the nature of the farcical "security" situation at the moment. Did I mention swine flu? 'nother subject I guess.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clodpole! I knew that word as "clotpoll." Same meaning, same pronunciation. German is "dummkopf." Not sure what it is in French or Spanish. American youth probably employ what used to be called an indelicate term. UK youngsters as well.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just finished Mr Engel's book and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in the railway system here in Britain.

It is amusing rather than hilariously funny. Am I alone in avoiding those books that, in so many words, warn "Don't read this in a public place unless you want to be embarrassed by being convulsed with laughter"? They are normally dire (unless they're written by Bill Bryson).

The book covers all aspects of British railways from its tentative - and tragic - beginning through to where we are today. He takes a number of rail trips around Britain (the Scottish pieces are particularly readable) but the descriptions of these are not as numerous as his historical pieces.

In summing up the current state of our railways he says "With the exception of a handful of reopenings, new airport links and the Channel Tunnel line, the railway system in England in 2009 remains almost precisely what it was almost 40 years ago." I would not disagree, in fact, in many respects it is worse especially if one is a commuter.

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page