TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Wish List

Author Topic: Wish List
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can post what you'd like to see fixed at the forum, removed from the forum, or new forum topics added. I'll start with a few that have been mentioned

- fix the clocks
- fix those darn rating stars
- fix private message indicator [Smile]

- Add a forum topic where anything non-rail could be discussed. This could be politics, gardening, who serves up the best BBQ ribs, or.....

- I would like to see a forum headed "information needed" or "need help". Trainweb receives over a thousand emails a day, some to do with business, some personal, lots of junk but they also get many requests from people seeking information on something rail related. Their letters are always replied to, but, sometimes the only reply they can send is a generic one. I don't receive these emails, but sometimes they'll send me a few in hopes that I can help.

- I'd like to see a feature I've seen at another forum (nod,nod,wink,wink) implemented on this forum. It allows you to print just the one reply or question you want, rather than having to print the whole page.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fix the option to be notified via email when there is a response to a message you have posted. Maybe that is linked to the problem of failure of the private message indicator?

Since you have five rating stars I think you should keep that function. We want you to be happy!

And thanks for stepping in here to dispell fears of topic deletion.

Spell check??

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the star-rating so long as I can keep my 5-stars.....it reminds me to be a little more considerate than I am in real life!

I reserve the right to change my opinion should I ever dip below such a lofty rating.

For a suggestion - I wouldn't mind combining VIA discussions with Amtrak. The Amtrak topic is by far the busiest, it seems, but sometimes I'm looking for Canadian information.

Oooooops.....I now see that the esteemed RRRich has made the same suggestion (combine Amtrak & VIA) in his post to the 'Deleted Threads' thread.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I see that I have gone from "Not Rated" to 4 stars overnight. Thanks to whoever.

[Wink]

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all us tech challenged members, I'd like to see an easy way to post photos. I know it's possible now, but way too complicated for my attention span.

On this forum, the primary interest seems to be train travel. So expanding on the Via/Amtrak idea, maybe it needs to be - Passenger Train Travel - could include all things Amtrak, Via, and related commuter, transit, and tourist train services we use when traveling.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know what the cost of this would be (and maybe the deal breaker); but, maybe upgrade the sites software to the latest version or go with another product such as http://www.vbadvanced.com/ which is much more user friendly and allows embedded YouTube Video to be posted rather then just a link

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Delaware and Hudson Virtual Museum (DHVM)
Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures)
-- Darren

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
And I see that I have gone from "Not Rated" to 4 stars overnight. Thanks to whoever.

[Wink]

Well I gave you '5'.

Least I could do given that Amtrak doesn't stop at your local depot anymore.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, David; at least the Tropicana Juice Train still comes through. My home stations are now Palatka (N/B), Deland (S/B), and next year I hope Lake City (W/B). I'm not into bus connections on my rail trips.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the non-rail forum; allows stuff to go there that's not-Amtrak. That was the bane of my existence at a nod-nod-wink-wink other Forum as well... along with GBN before me.

ETA: And stars aren't mandatory. GOOD [Smile]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consolidate the forums into fewer categories. There are way too many and only a few see much activity.

An off-topic area would be nice. Another forum I've used has a similar open discussion area. However, they later added the restriction of no discussing religion or politics, because it got too heated.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err Mr. PullmanCo it was a left eye wink wink, (Monty Python style) meaning it was Mr.Geoff Ms' forum I visited, not the right eye wink wink you're referring to.

Mr. Toy, those were the concerns of TrainWeb,and why a "non-rail" topic was never allowed, but, I think it's worth a try, and if it fails, those two topics might have to be vetoed.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one thing I have noticed is the "hot" topics are usually met with tolerance for the other guy's opinion. Would it work to have one forum strictly for passenger rail and lump all the others in a second one? Since we have great reports on this one why do we need a separate one for reports?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my biggee: PLEASE figure out a way for us to post pictures in a manner that is not rocket science!! I have yet to figure out, understand, or comprehend how to post pictures. I do not know computer code, PC code, or any other fancy-schmancy computer coding. However, what I *do* know how to do is click something that says, "Attach Photo". [Smile] A simple, no-brainer method of posting pictures is my one big request. Thank you.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like the idea of a non-rail DERAILED topic section. I had brought this up years ago and got no feedback at all. Thats kind of one of the reasons I left the forum as an active member, there was other stuff I wanted to share but no where to share it. Discussing religion should be a no-no, but politics or current political events would be ok as long as it remained civil.

I also like the idea of a separate section for train reports. It lumps them together and makes them easier to find.

And maybe a section or page with links to informative rail websites that are 'non-competitive' to the purpose of Rail Forum. Like the site that shows all the Amtrak Stations across the country, sites that have great rail and Amtrak pictures, and other members sites.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
one thing I have noticed is the "hot" topics are usually met with tolerance for the other guy's opinion. Would it work to have one forum strictly for passenger rail and lump all the others in a second one? Since we have great reports on this one why do we need a separate one for reports?

I agree on combining reports into the rail forum - that's where most of them wind up anyway.

Since this is trainweb.com site, I'm not sure I understand why we need a forum for non rail topics. Surely there are other sites that would do a better job of politics or other non rail subjects and probably have a more diverse group of members.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Since this is trainweb.com site, I'm not sure I understand why we need a forum for non rail topics. Surely there are other sites that would do a better job of politics or other non rail subjects and probably have a more diverse group of members.

I think because the members here form a community unto themselves, and some members have grown to know other members well, whether it is in a good way or not. Sometimes this little group or family of forum members might like to share ideas and ideals, likes and dislikes, views, non-rail vacations, and other areas of their daily lives that dont necessarily relate to rail, but someone on another forum who may not know us, may not understand where we are coming from. Or care.

Sure there are other forums out there that cover every topic conceivable to man, but we as a small and sometimes tight knit group, like to 'keep it in the family'.

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
Sure there are other forums out there that cover every topic conceivable to man, but we as a small and sometimes tight knit group, like to 'keep it in the family'.

That's my view, too.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moderator:
Err Mr. PullmanCo it was a left eye wink wink, (Monty Python style) meaning it was Mr.Geoff Ms' forum I visited, not the right eye wink wink you're referring to.

I'm honoured! That uses Discus software in case you hadn't already found that out. It works fine but I don't like the archiving of old messages, instead of a "page n of m" style.

Firstly, Mr. Moderator, I'd like to know your name!

The "trip reports" section is a good idea.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there already is a (scarcely utilized) trip reports section!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1959 shares my opinion as well. One thing I have enjoyed with this forum is the give and take attitude of most.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was named after my father, Lawrence. Short form though, Laurie.

the Moderator

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Messrs. Palmland and Smitty -- we need an EASY way to post pictures into this forum, in a way that those of us who aren't Ph.D level computer programmers can understand!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:

I agree on combining reports into the rail forum - that's where most of them wind up anyway.

Initially I posted my Trip Reports on the appropriate sub-forum BUT they would not generate any hits.......very little traffic just looking for Trip Reports.

As a result, I went through a period of posting my Trip Reports under 'Trip Reports' and also putting a note on the 'Amtrak' subforum linking to my thread on 'Trip Report'.

Now I just put my Trip Reports on the Amtrak forum but title them Trip Report. That seems to be working OK.

--------------------
David Pressley

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put my first few trip reports on the Train Web's "Trip Reports" pages (as far as I know, they are still there!), but they often took several months to get posted. For the last couple years, I now put them on my web site and furnish a link on this forum to y'all.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like David's suggestion about a seperate "Trip Report" heading. I am planning a Canadian train trip vacaction, this summer, and plan on posting a report along with pictures.

A "Trip Reports" or "Train Trip Reports" heading could be under "Passenger Trains", along with the Amtrak, Commuter Trains, etc.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reference to Smitty and other's comments about adding photos. I agree, I can't figure it out.

I was just on a Delphi forum I occasionally visit. I am not fond of the organization of the threads but uploading pictues is a snap. Just click on "add files" and a screen comes up to allow you to select the file or files to include. You click to upload and it is done. They appear as thumbnails, a click enlarges them.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need an easy way to get pictures on, would be awesome. I still haven't figured out how to do it yet. I also think trip reports should be moved under passenger section, because everyone goes there first. Then we should have like an area for tips on travel or tourist railroads. Maybe an area to for us to tell each other when a train themed television show is on or about movies with trains. Another nice thing would be having the private messages being connected with our email. I agree we need to add an off topic area, to talk with our friends about non railroad stuff to. Then we should add an area for book reviews about books about trains, so we know if we want to buy it. Thank You.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When one first accesses the site, and gets to the "Major Sections," under the Forums heading, please fix the spelling of the word Discussion (it now says Disscussion)! Thank you
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page