RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » extra train

Author Topic: extra train
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted this and it disappeared thanks to a screwed up system so if you get a repeat you will understand. On the news the other night it was stated that in December Amtrak was going to run an extra train from DC to Richmond as part of the use of the stimulus package. Did anyone else hear or read this?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An additional State funded Wash-Richmond and a Wash-Lynchburg frequency appears a done deal, Ms. Train Lady:

http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/news/files/Amtrak%20Three%20Year%20Agreement%20Demonstration%20Project%20Agreement.pdf

A new station is being added to Amtrak's roster - "Elephant Plaza".

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am excited by these VADOT funded expansions.

Having grown weary of starting any trip riding up CSX's former ACL line between the Carolina's and Richmond, I welcome the opportunity to begin trips by driving to Lynchburg, spending the night, and then heading to Washington on the new Lynchburg train.

The plan calls for a slightly later than the Crescent departure and the former Southern Railway line from Lynchburg is far more interesting in terms of scenery.

Note Also that when buying my own fare as opposed to using Guest Rewards Points, I prefer to overnight in a, say, Comfort Inn and then catch a coaches only train in the morning rather than pony up the money for a Viewliner room held together by duct tape.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

Having grown weary of starting any trip riding up CSX's former ACL line between the Carolina's and Richmond, I welcome the opportunity to begin trips by driving to Lynchburg, spending the night, and then heading to Washington on the new Lynchburg train.

Sad but true David. Now if they would just extend the Lynchburg train to Greensboro, it would be in driving range for me. Until then, though, I'll have to take my chances on the Palmetto.

By the way, I did see that the Lynchburg train will be considered a Northeast Regional since it is an extension of an existing NE Regional from NY. It would seem then that it would be covered under NE Regional AGR points (3000) , that is somewhat cheaper than 1 zone LD (5500).

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to re-confirm: you are saying the new Lynchburg train will run on a different and more scenic route than the Crescent? . . . . that is exciting news to me!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the case Ms. Sojourner, Wash-Lynchburg via the SRY, or otherwise existing route of the Crescent.

Schedule appears at Adobe Page 22 in the linked document I provided above. However, the schedule, especially the NB schedule will enable to see the SRY by light of day - something htat has not been p[ossible since the Piedmont came off when SRY joined Amtrak during 1983.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Not the case Ms. Sojourner, Wash-Lynchburg via the SRY, or otherwise existing route of the Crescent.

Schedule appears at Adobe Page 22 in the linked document I provided above. However, the schedule, especially the NB schedule will enable to see the SRY by light of day - something htat has not been p[ossible since the Piedmont came off when SRY joined Amtrak during 1983.

Valid information but your timeline is off a little Mr. Norman.

Southern Railway's 'Piedmont' came off the Monday after Thanksgiving in 1976. Southern had received permission to discontinue effective a few days prior to Thanksgiving but opted to run the train through the holidays as a goodwill gesture. There was no 'adios' drumhead but the FP7's hauling the train in it's final days received 'Thanksgiving Special' decals affixed over the SR logo on the train's nose.

The Crescent was conveyed to Amtrak effective with the train's departures on February 1, 1979.....a mere 22 months after Graham Claytor's mandatory retirement from Southern in March 1977.

I'll add that the route between Lynchburg and Charlottesville is mountainous and quite scenic......and seen by the light of day from a passenger train only when the northbound Crescent is running late.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is indeed a scenic mountainous route. Though I enjoy the curving route while nodding off on the SB Crescent, I really enjoyed the scenery from the Southern's SB mixed train in 1976, the NB N&W 611 steam inaugural a few years later, and the SB American Orient Express in the 1990s. The latter offered the best view from the rear of the observation car. Glad to see a day train return.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Stand corrected and with respect, Mr. Presley.

Likely I could have and most definitely should have researched that report prior to its posting. Sorry for any inconvenience my lack of such may have caused.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SilverStar's mention of the observation on AOE reminded me that as a youngster (that was a while ago) I was with my mother on the Southerner ATL-Wilmington, DE. For reasons long since forgotten we were originally in coach but changed to a bedroom after departure.

Shortly after boarding we sat in the beautiful tavern observation car watching Atlanta suburbs give way to a nice spring evening in the south. I also recall sitting in the diner the next morning for breakfast amidst the gleaming silverware and white linen while WUT's Alco's shuffled pullmans from various overnight trains.

Those kind of memories do make it hard to appreciate today's shadow of that fine train.

Wonder what it would take to route the Carolinian via Greensboro-Lynchburg-Charlottesville? One of the Piedmont trains from Raleigh to Greensboro (perhaps extended to Rocky Mount)could provide connections for WAS/NY passengers. The Southern's route is so much nicer than ACL's through eastern NC.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Stand corrected and with respect, Mr. Presley.

Likely I could have and most definitely should have researched that report prior to its posting. Sorry for any inconvenience my lack of such may have caused.

Hardly an inconvenience.......just one of the few areas I know enough about to chime in.....and without having to research!

--------------------
David Pressley

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen the whole Southern Railway line from Spencer to Charlottesville on the NC transportation museum excursions every year for the last two years. This year they are doing one to Charlottesville and one to Asheville. They do these trips in early november and late october.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I forgot to mention in my Palmetto trip report that work is well underway on a new platform and track in Richmond - Staples Mill station for the new train from Richmond-Washington. This will make 3 tracks off the mainline that go into the station.

According to the Palmetto's extra board conductor, who was quite friendly, they expect the new train to start in mid December.

What I don't understand is the new track and platform are stub end and face south. If the new train is parked there overnight, it will have to back out before proceeding north. I am sure there is a good reason it couldn't be on the north side (or even run through), but it escapes me.

A interesting excursion would be to take the new Lynchburg morning train from Charlottesville into Washington, spend the day, and take the new Richmond train back there.

If Amtrak would let you use the Cardinal thruway bus for just the Richmond-Charlottesville segment, you could complete the circle by leaving your car in Richmond and take the bus to Charlottesville. A short walk to the convenient Hampton Inn in that nice city for the night would have you ready to take the new train the next morning.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's a mighty rough road from Lynchburg to Danville
Thirty curves on a seven-mile grade..."

From "The Wreck of the Old 97"

Indeed it is, and pretty bumpy from Lynchburg to Charlottesville too. I last covered that trackage in daylight on the "Birmingham Special" in 1971, and then on Southern's move of steam engine 2839 from Alexandria to Birmingham in 1978. We were authorized to run at full track speed, and at 70 MPH behind steam, I got a good feel for what the "Crescent" behind a Ps-4 Pacific must have been like.

I returned from that trip on the "Hilltopper" from Lynchburg.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I had the supreme pleasure of riding Southern's last excursion with locomotive 2839 - a daylight move from Salisbury to Alexandria on a brisk, sunny day in November 1980 (or was it 1981?).

I spent much of the trip in the vestibule stepping inside only to warm up from time-to-time. Those Southern Railway crews certainly did enjoy running that locomotive at full track speed when they had her.

My only disappointment that day is that we were delayed at Monroe, VA by some freight traffic and those of us who were returning to North Carolina on Amtrak's Crescent were put off the excursion in Manassas to make our connection rather than getting to ride the last 24 miles into Alexandria.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page