RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SWCHIEF #4 6-8-2009 Rescheduled

Author Topic: SWCHIEF #4 6-8-2009 Rescheduled
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to a bridge fire in Trinidad, CO the Southwest Chief, Train No. 4
eastbound will be running through Clovis, NM, Amarillo, TX, Woodward, OK,
Waynoka, OK, Alva, OK, Kiowa, KS, Attica, KS, Harper, KS, Argonia, KS,
Mulvane, KS, Derby, KS, Wichita, KS, Sedgwick, KS, before reaching Newton ETA 4:30 PM.

This would put the train into Wichita around 3:40PM. Topeka about 7:00 PM. Lawrence 7:30 PM.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that bridge on a section of track which only Amtrak uses now? BNSF would be reluctant to make major repairs if it's on the Raton Pass side of Trinidad I'm afraid.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes it nearly 14 hours late! Anybody see a bus on the horizon, or a set swap with #3?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff M:
That makes it nearly 14 hours late! Anybody see a bus on the horizon, or a set swap with #3?

Geoff M.

I'll bet there will be some Kansas foamers (who never get to see Amtrak during the light of day) showing up at points south and west this afternoon to shoot videos and pictures.
Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Is that bridge on a section of track which only Amtrak uses now? BNSF would be reluctant to make major repairs if it's on the Raton Pass side of Trinidad I'm afraid.

If the bridge is west of milepost 635.0, the line is now owned by New Mexico DOT. Trinidad is listed as being at milepost 635.8 in the employee timetable.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sfthunderchief:
quote:

Geoff M.

I'll bet there will be some Kansas foamers (who never get to see Amtrak during the light of day) showing up at points south and west this afternoon to shoot videos and pictures.
The word got out, several dozen railfans and all three Wichita television stations were on hand to film it. They used stock Amtrak footage for the News at 6:00 because the train came trhough at 6:20. But the news crew stayed around and the 10:00 PM broadcast may actually show the rare appearance and rare miles transit.
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
News coverage of Amtrak's one day interruption of service that became a positive media event in Wichita, Kansas last evening.

http://www.kwch.com/global/story.asp?s=10496586

http://www.ksn.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=480@ksnw.web.entriq.net.

Now we see some of the faces of the Northern Flyer Alliance.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slow news day?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the NBC segment, was any of the footage 'for real" or was all simply file footage?

Somehow, one doth not think the home of Boeing and Cessna as being overly supportive of rail service, but then I guess Wichita is the only stop en route in which there is any suitable population. Only problem; if this service is to be an extension of the existing Heartland Fly-er, Wichita will be served at 0dark30.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As noted elsewhere, Kansas failed to pass through both Houses a Concurrent Resolution of support for KS-DOT to apply for Federal Funds. Of course, since Kansas doesn't have a current passenger rail plan, the application for funding is a moot point, since that's the first hurdle at US-DOT.

Further, in the May 2009 KS-DOT letter, the Department staff and leadership still think the supermajority is in play next year as regards State funding for added service.

Further, there's the pesky matter of Kansas budget shortfalls. Right now it looks like Governor Parkinson is going to have to use his executive knife to pare the budget some more.

In the meantime, in Topeka, SINE DIE!

So... 3-4 are on the Belen Cut-off for the moment, and we'll see how long that lasts.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
As noted elsewhere, Kansas failed to pass through both Houses a Concurrent Resolution of support for KS-DOT to apply for Federal Funds. Of course, since Kansas doesn't have a current passenger rail plan, the application for funding is a moot point, since that's the first hurdle at US-DOT.

Further, in the May 2009 KS-DOT letter, the Department staff and leadership still think the supermajority is in play next year as regards State funding for added service.

Further, there's the pesky matter of Kansas budget shortfalls. Right now it looks like Governor Parkinson is going to have to use his executive knife to pare the budget some more.

In the meantime, in Topeka, SINE DIE!

So... 3-4 are on the Belen Cut-off for the moment, and we'll see how long that lasts.

Kansas KDOT has contracted with an eastern firm to prepare an "HR2095 qualifying passenger rail plan", to be completed in conjuntion with the states application for ARRA funds and the Amtrak study.
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a video I shot of the two trains #3 & #4 in Amarillo on June 8th, 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-2aftNVxY

And some pics...
 -

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Slow news day?

Geoff M.

No Geoff; we were just getting ready to discuss Mrs. Obama's outfit she wore at Westminster... [Big Grin] The "wedding cake" ensemble...

Thanks for those Amarillo pics; sure would be nice to see the Chief in NM's Abo Canyon. Might not have been possible, as I have heard about the new tighter security there regarding photographing. Sign of our times, I guess...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

What, our Westminster? Can't say I've heard about it! But there is plenty of other news around which might relegate even her to the "and finally"s.

Mr. Printman, were you filming whilst driving, or was the driver on the centre line whilst the passenger was filming? Either way I cannot condone this!

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember we drive on the right hand side of the road!

Good shots [Smile]

Return of the San Francisco Chief!!!

I don't see a BNSF pilot; wonder if BNSF engineman rode the cab with the Amtrak crew?

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

quote:
Remember we drive on the right hand side of the road!

Most of the time, yes. The camera appeared to be to the left hand side of the right hand lane which would make it the driver's seat.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS252US253&q=Amtrak%234%20at%20Wichita&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

Here's a video at another rare location (Wichita) shot sent to me by a friend. The president of the group of community leaders that comprise the Northern Flyer Alliance is apparently among this group.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great video, Printman!! Thanks for sharing it! I assume you were driving on Interstate 40.....
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't see a BNSF pilot; wonder if BNSF engineman rode the cab with the Amtrak crew?

Yes, there were BNSF pilots on board.
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Great video, Printman!! Thanks for sharing it! I assume you were driving on Interstate 40.....

Not I-40. The line does not follow I-40. That is the sparsely used TX136. The train does go under I-40 which you can see at the BNSF depot. Right behind the tower is the I-40 overpass.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page