RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak or Cruise? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Amtrak or Cruise?
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really a superstructure but close. We worked with the Ninth infantry.

http://brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/photos/Boats10.jpg

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, I remember. There's a graceful looking craft...what a sheer line! I was in My Tho in '68. Wonder what it looks like now?
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest anyone think this topic has gone off of such, any Swabbie here should share with the forum what a tour of sea-duty is known as in the US Navy, as this Zoomie will defer.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. We simply referred to them as deployments. Is there some salty Vietnam-era term I should be aware of, for historical reference at least?

Re the Somali pirates: Although we never actually used it, we had a little trick up our sleeve to deal with postulated waves of rubber Zodiac boats from Iran. Imagine a 16" anti-personnel (enhanced shrapnel) high explosive shell detonating precisely 200 feet above a group of open boats by means of a proximity fuse...very quickly, no more open boats.

(And they say battleships are obsolete!)

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always heard sea duty called CRUISES - NROTC college buddies and onward.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, that term was used informally.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after a lot of thought, a ton of research, and an enourmous amount of consideration, I booked the cruise for Fall 2010 to the Grand Cayman Islands, Belize, and 2 ports of call in Mexico. The train trip just couldn't match the cruise and I got a nice large cabin with a window for a entire week for just under $1100! Time to renew my Passport... [Smile]
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the time to see the ruins!!!!!!!

-
Altun Ha Mayan Ruin

-
Grand Princess

--------------------
Delaware and Hudson Virtual Museum (DHVM)
Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures)
-- Darren

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stourbridge Lion already checking those out! [Wink]

I think one of the biggest deciding factors (other than the economics of cost, variety of food and dining options, comparing stateroom against roomette sizes, and their offerings in entertainment options) was that if the weather turns crappy (rain) I am still on a very nice, very large mode of 'luxury' transportation. With dozens of different places to retreat to and relax, it won hands down. I just couldnt picture myself in a steel tube (train) again for 5 days at the staggering cost of over 2000+.

Sorry Amtrak. Maybe again in 2015?

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dmw--

All this and no "paper ticket" to worry about losing!

Have a great cruise!

Frank in dark and cool and "Jackson-less" SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this cruise talk got to me and I had to throw in a Mexican Riviera trip in December between my other two cruises. And I could take the Surfliner down to SAN.

Frank, I let the Jackson family know that your home would be available for the viewing. Nice of you to offer it.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
dmw-- All this and no "paper ticket" to worry about losing! Have a great cruise!

Frank in dark and cool and "Jackson-less" SBA

I actually had a dream last night about going on a trip and losing my Passport! Not a good sign. Still, it's a long way off but it's something to really look forward to. Yea!

--------------------

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank will be hosting the viewing?? I better call my contacts at TMZ and get this out there quick! [Big Grin] Someone was saying our Rail Rev would be a speaker, but I believe it will be Al or Jesse, actually... [Wink]
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN writes: "Lest anyone think this topic has gone off of such, any Swabbie here should share with the forum what a tour of sea-duty is known as in the US Navy, as this Zoomie will defer."

I asked my elder son, a LCDR, about this, and he suggested "Haze gray and underway." Colorful in its fashion, but he also said the phrase is more often applied to Navy ships at sea. He added that submariners have a great many rude terms for sea duty but as he was at a government email address he felt it an inappropriate forum to educate me.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dmw--

Just a suggestion for you about the passport. Make several photo copies of the first page (picture, etc.) and leave one at home and carry another apart from your passport. It's not a legal substitute but it does have all the info you'll need to get a new one if that should be the case. Other people have suggested scanning it and keeping the information (this works for credit cards, too) and keeping the file in a place where you could access it from wherever you might be.

On our two consecutive cruises around South America we surrendered our passports in Buenos Aires when we boarded and did not see them again until after we left Costa Rica headed for San Diego. All of the appropriate stamps were in there so someone had looked at them. We found out later that if we had had them with us we could have gotten "Fin del Mundo" (End of the World) stamps in both Puntarenas, Chile and Ushuaia, Argentina!

Thanks, Vicki, for offering our place to the Jacksons. You know how nice the view is but they seem to have opted for something a little larger. Staples Center?

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Frank. We decided that an event of such import must be held in an appropriate venue. Let's see, Staples holds 19,000 and the overflow will be to LA Live, the area already trashed in the Lakers celebration.

Love this town!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember to bring your $25.00 fee when you attend, Vicki. Wouldn't want Michael's father to wind up in the "poor house" or anything...interesting about those End of the World passport stamps you can get down there, Frank...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Bob--

Oh, we could have gotten them but we didn't have physical control over the passports. I was told they would only stamp passports. No postcards, etc. I suspect is was quasi official.

One of my favorite passport stamps is from HM Customs for Devon and Cornwall. One of our ports on a transatlantic cruise was Falmouth. HM sent two of her best men to cross the pond with us and stamp our passports before we arrived doing several hundred a day. I asked one how he got that tough duty and he just winked and said "She's my Mum."

And I did see a bus in Falmouth headed to Penzance. But no Pirates.

Frank in cooling and soon to be dark SBA

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
sbalax This re-newal next year will only be my 3rd Passport (got my first one around 1988 before going to Italy for 2 years) and I havent ever thought about making copies 'just in case'. Good idea. THANKS. This will be cruise #30 and I am sooo excited, even though it's still 14 months away. It's going to be a long wait.... [Wink]
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
Frank will be hosting the viewing?? I better call my contacts at TMZ and get this out there quick! [Big Grin] Someone was saying our Rail Rev would be a speaker, but I believe it will be Al or Jesse, actually... [Wink]

Glad to let Al and Jesse have that one!

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how many innocent folks were trampled by Al and Jesse racing to the camera?
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
dmw--

Go to www.cruisecritic.com and then boards and Roll Calls. These are discussion boards for a particular sailing. We've met some great people this way and lots of great suggestions, information and tips. I believe you may need to "join" to post of the Roll Calls but that is free and easy. I don't know what cruise line you will be on but if it's Celebrity or RCL they host gatherings for the Cruise Critic folks with nice refreshments and, usually, fun prizes.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
And I did see a bus in Falmouth headed to Penzance. But no Pirates.

How 'bout Gilbert? Or Sullivan? [Big Grin]
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
sbalax Thanks for the link. I'll have to give it a look and some thought.

I am the definition of a 'loner' on cruises. On both Amtrak and on cruises I have met up with folks and dining room companions that have ruined more trips than I can remember. They just latch onto me feeling sorry for my loneliness and try to occupy my hours for me. I dont like having to constantly excuse my way out of their 'arranged' activites or evening entertainment. They dont realize that there is a distinct difference between being lonely, and being alone. As the saying goes, 'I'm never alone, I am with my own best friend'.

I dont so much as mind the crowd either. I do enjoy people-watching. As mentioned before I rarely drink, not much for socializing, and dont party. On most of my past cruises I awoke by 6am, in bed by 11pm.

However, nowadays I would prefer the 'solitutude' I can find in travel by eating alone in Lido or Specialty restaurants on ships, booking non-share cabins, and finding a good quiet corner on a ship with a sea-view, a gentle breeze, and relax with a good book. Thats just me.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I trust that we are all aware of MJ's, now scrubbed for what the lawyers call Force Majeure, concert tour sponsors, AEG Entertainment. Lest one wonder, the "alphabet soup" stands for Anschutz Entertainment Group. Also, lest we remember who owns the Staples Center where his Memorial will be held so that SBA Frank can have a little breathing room....guess who?

It appears Mr. A's interests will have quite the payday from MJ - dead or alive.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
dmw--

I understand where you are coming from. We've been very lucky with the tablemates we've had on "Traditional" dining (except when we were given a table for two!! We fixed that VERY quickly!). You might well enjoy "My Time Dining" (or one of the similar programs) which lets you choose what time and what sort of table you want in the main dining room. That way if you find people you enjoy you can stay with them. If not you can move on.

The "Roll Calls" do get to be a bit like adult summer camp with quite a bit of chat about packing, etc., but we have also found great information on ports, hotels, independent tours, etc. there. Give it a try. There is nothing to prevent you from "lurking".

Frank in sunny SBA where we are all breathing a bit easier!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
...They don't realize that there is a distinct difference between being lonely, and being alone. As the saying goes, 'I'm never alone, I am with my own best friend'........Thats just me.

Mr. DMW, I appreciate your willingness to step up here at the Forum and say as you have....and in my case as well, "That's just me".

I am about eighteen years older than are you, I've never married, and for that matter never voluntarily shared a domicile with any other person. I defer to the twelve or so here who know me face to face to decide to what extent I can be considered "sociable".

My "social climbing" Mother and Father simply "couldn't understand it"

So go on your cruise, enjoy it, and don't let the "Fun Squad" or any of the characters out of that flick "Out to Sea" I noted earlier corral you. They are in all likelihood acting in good faith, but they "just don't know".

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
I also dont like going to employers Christmas Parties and company picnics. Hate the fake camaraderie that invariably surfaces after everyone's had a few drinks.

And believe it or not, with all this talk of cruising I have booked 2 cruises for next Fall. Found some really good deals. Now I really have something to look forward to!

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
...They don't realize that there is a distinct difference between being lonely, and being alone. As the saying goes, 'I'm never alone, I am with my own best friend'........Thats just me.

Mr. DMW, I appreciate your willingness to step up here at the Forum and say as you have....and in my case as well, "That's just me".

I am about eighteen years older than are you, I've never married, and for that matter never voluntarily shared a domicile with any other person. I defer to the twelve or so here who know me face to face to decide to what extent I can be considered "sociable".

My "social climbing" Mother and Father simply "couldn't understand it"

So go on your cruise, enjoy it, and don't let the "Fun Squad" or any of the characters out of that flick "Out to Sea" I noted earlier corral you. They are in all likelihood acting in good faith, but they "just don't know".

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
It's been awhile since I first started this thread, and recently came back from two weeks vacation. I cruised the Celebrity MERCURY Dec. 11-20, 2010 from Baltimore (9-nights in a wonderful Balcony stateroom) and had 4-nights pre- and post-cruise hotel in Baltimore. Here are some pictures I took along the way in Baltimore, of the NS SAVANNAH, and during the 9-nights on the cruise ship and ports of call. I wanted so badly to take an ACELA while in Baltimore down to DC just to experience it but never found the time to squeeze it in. I did see the Penn Station in Pittsburgh, the exterior more interesting than that of the interior.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
GREAT pictures! Thanks for posting them. It's good to see that although Mercury is one of the smaller and older ships in the fleet Celebrity is doing a great job of maintaining her.

The Coco Cay pictures brought back great memories of a stop there a year ago December when we were on Azamara Journey. We had to cut short the stop because of a front that was moving in but we still enjoyed the visit.

The "Tempest" pictures are wonderful! How long did this last? We've never had seas that rough including going around Cape Horn.

I'm having hip surgery next month so we don't have anything booked until 17 nights HNL-SYD on Radiance of the Seas in late September. I'm hopeful, though, that we can work a couple of short ones in in April or May.

I'm also looking at taking the Indian-Pacific from Sydney to Perth to rejoin Radiance for the cruise around the southern half of Australia and South Island New Zealand. We did the Ghan from Sydney to Alice Springs in 2001 and very much enjoyed it.

Frank in sunny and drying SBA

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
HI Frank, THANK YOU for taking the time to look at my pictures. The Celebrity MERCURY is an OUTSTANDING ship, perfect size and VERY well maintained even after 13 years. Sadly her career with Celebrity Cruises is at and end. She departs the fleet next month and after a long shipyard conversion will emerge in May as the Mein Schiff 2 for the German cruise line TUI, a wholy owned subsidiary of RCCL. Her sister the GALAXY is over there now as Mein Schiff having departed the Celebrity Cruises fleet in 2009.

Our bad weather on the first full day at sea lasted for the better part of the entire day, starting up around 3am and ending around 10pm, the very worst of the weather lasting for about 3-4 hours. The sequence of pictures shows the build up quite well.

The Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship and those sea/rail itineraries look quite marvelous. I hope to see pictures after your return either here or at Cruise Critic. I had to look up on Wikipedia the Ghan and Indian-Pacific. They look quite nice and the routes amazing! How did it compare to AMTRAK here in the US?

The Celebrity MERCURY anchored off CoCo Cay during my cruise Dec. 11-20, 2010
 -

Me, posing with the ever present camera around my neck
 -

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks for the response and pictures. I never get tired of travel whether it be in person or vicariously.

Let's see, with Mercury leaving and Galaxy gone that leaves only Century and it's headed to Australia and New Zealand but will stay with Celebrity.

We've done three cruises on Radiance already and it's a tie with Celebrity Constellation as our favorite ship. Radiance is going in for three weeks of refurbishment before the Alaska season starts. They are upgrading the cabins and playing around with a couple of the dining venues. I am hopeful that they won't mess up the ambiance of being a ship not a Las Vegas hotel.

We really enjoyed the trip on the Ghan. At that time it ran from Sydney to Alice Springs via Adelaide. Now the route is Adelaide straight on through to Darwin. The equipment they use is older, perhaps mid-50's to 60's but very well maintained. The loos are of the "Don't flush while the train is in the station" type. Since the trip was a pre-retirement one for me we splurged and got the one Deluxe Cabin. It had it's own shower and toilet, a dressing table with TV above and a VCR. There was also a small table and two chairs and a double sized bed with a pull down twin.

The service was very Aussie. Excellent but with no pretension at all. The meals were all included and were excellent. I haven't ridden on the VIA trains but I expect the menus, quality and presentation would be comparable.

That said, it is not inexpensive. And, sadly, because of Australian law, the "Pensioner" rates can't be offered to non-Australian citizens. There was an interesting mix of passengers with lots of Brits and retired Aussies. We were the only Americans on board for that particular run.

We spent a night in Alice (Certainly enough time...) and then did a coach tour to Uluru/Ayers Rock. We spent three nights there before flying back to Alice and on to Darwin. A total of three nights there with another three on a coach tour of Kakadu National Park. We connected in Darwin with a mate who is from Perth. It was great to enjoy a part of the country he'd never seen. And it was good to have someone along who "spoke the language". He helped me understand the difference between "a schooner" and "a middy" when ordering beer!

My horoscope for today is: Part of the appeal of travel is that you don't know what to expect. You can choose your destination, but you can't choose your adventure. Plan your next trip.

I'm doing that right now!

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This should be a worthwhile read for our Love Tub afficiandos around here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704828104576020750509765440.html

Also by same author (ex libris):

http://www.amazon.com/Only-Way-Cross-liners-Mauretania/dp/0760706379

I've had two "Trans-At" sailings in this life, both during 1960; s/s Rotterdam and s/s Constitution. I hold favorable memories of both X-ings to this day.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman--

Thanks for the link to the article. I need to re-read it later in the day when I have a bit more time.

Also thanks for the link to "The Only Way to Cross". I came across my copy the other day and plan to spend some time with it during my hip surgery convalescence. I also came across my copy of Mr. Kisor's "Zephyr" book.

I was surprised by the wide variety of prices for "The Only Way to Cross" on Amazon. I guess it's a question of condition and edition.

Frank in cool and cloudy SBA

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was fortunate to get a copy of "The only way to Cross" when it was first published. Mr Maxtone-Graham wrote a follow-up called "Liners to the Sun" which I regret I did not not buy because I much prefer ocean crossings to cruises. The library of the Queen Mary 2 has a copy of this book, the first half of which I read on a crossing in May 2009 and the second part a year later. It was far more interesting than I had expected; there is much content about liner voyages as well as cruises.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Sorry for the delayed response, been busy at work and planning another vacation. 

THANKS Frank for the details of your amazing Aussie trip, one I fear I personally will never realize. I am green with envy! And I imagine your pictures are remarkable.

I don't know if Stourbridge Lion is still out there but you may be interested to know that Grand Princess is having her 'shopping cart handle' removed.

See HERE

THANKS Mr. Norman for the links. I remember reading 'The Only Way to Cross' and 'Liners to the Sun' when they were first published. Both are excellent books and offer a brilliant history and transition from 'crossing' to 'cruising'. Both are highly recommended.

As for my next big vacation, I am booked on another cruise for late this year (December again), 9-nights on the Celebrity MILLENNIUM out of Miami doing a back-to-back; four ports of call and three full days at sea plus a turn-around day in Miami between sailings. It will entail my first flight in nearly 8 years although I am looking at stretching the trip out a bit and riding the Silver Meteor back to Baltimore (with an overnight or two), then a bus back to WV. I have only done the Silver Service as far as Tampa (southbound) and thought the train ride would be a nice way to end a cruise and two weeks off on holiday?

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page