RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Can GM build railcars?

Author Topic: Can GM build railcars?
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope that I'm not stepping on any GM union workers, but why can't GM or any of these car mfg. build passenger rail cars? Seems to me that a good share of the tooling is there.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No reason why not, Mr. Urda:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/business/economy/10michigan.html

The Times suggests that such could be the case; brief passage:

• Michigan is also pursuing wind-power technology, solar-panel manufacturing, even production of railroad cars — any viable industry that might be interested in hiring the thousands of engineers who used to work in the auto industry

Regarding any possible notions of "union-busting", when EMD was under GM ownership, workers at La Grange were represented by the UAW; at London the CAW. I hightly doubt that since the spinoff, that pre-existing Labor Agreements were abrogated. Had such been the case and with my railroad Labor Relations background, I think I would have "picked up" on such.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF GE can build locomotives, I suspect the GM can build railcars. All it takes is desire, vision, money and...Oh yeah, maybe not.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GM *did*, in years past, build rail cars, just not in plants designed to assemble autos. I don't see why they can't again start to manufacture rail cars. They've got lots of engineers and skilled assembly line workers (yes, the engineering of the cars was mediocre at best and the quality of the cars assembled by the workers also failed to meet global standards, but I'd like to think that was more a function of management than of workforce quality).
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greyhound coach bodies with 4'8 1/2" rail wheels.

There's a reason Aerotrain didn't take off.

There's a reason it didn't last long on any road it ran demonstration under.

Can GM really do structural steel and aluminum?

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Ford could build B-24 bombers in WWII, I don't know why GM couldn't build railcars. But is there a sufficient demand to make it worthwhile? Look what happened to Colorado Railcar.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Pullman, Aerotrain was a, what the modellers call, a kit bash of existing parts and assemblies. The engineering done for such had to be described as minimal. The only original assembly was the "radical" design of the locomotive's carbody. Underneath was a 567-12 engine normally used in SW models. There was one powered truck assembly; again same as for an SW-1200.

The cars were simply GM Highway Traveler intercity bus bodies with a 2ft "extender placed down the middle of such. I believe the "cars" undercarriages were based upon the Talgo that was being developed at that time.

However, after one ride, the public that showed up to do simply said "enough is enough".

But with that being said, I'm certain that a properly engineered railcar could be produced in a former automaker assembly plant - and employing UAW represented employees as well.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Owners (The US Government)floated the idea, the Union leadership said thats against the contract and to shut up and just send the checks.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Norman,

Our mutual confidence in GM is reflected in your (3d?) Lex and my longstanding ownership of a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

If GM were to receive license from Bombardier and build the existing plans slowly deteriorating at IRM (P-S and Budd... I think ACF still owns its own), then yes, I think they could meet design spec.

Original engineering? That's almost as much fun as watching the Kansas Legislature pass a budget.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first car ever was a 1959 Chevy Bel Air with huge tailfins; that was probably the high-water year for Chevrolet, which soon would introduce the "unsafe at any speed" Corvair. Haven't bought a GM product since, new or used.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're gonna discuss cars, let me say that our 2003 Impala is the best car we've ever owned. It gets better mileage than the smaller Mazda it replaced.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page