RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AGR and blackout dates

Author Topic: AGR and blackout dates
GIZMOS
Member # 4953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GIZMOS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had an interesting experience with Amtrack Guest Rewards, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience.

To make a long story short, I tried to book a Zephyr trip from EMY -> CHI leaving on December 16th. Now, the 17th is the first of the AGR blackout dates, but the 16th is not and the offical AGR legalese says "... travel origination on Redemption awards may not occur on the following dates/times ..." followed by a long list of blackout dates. Emphasis on the word "origination".

I asked the AGR CSR, Mandy, if this was OK and at the time she said sure, no problem. Mandy made the reservation, gave me a confirmation number and my AGR account promptly went down by 30,000 points.

You can guess the next part - a week later, Mandy called back to say that Amtrak had decided not to issue our tickets because the travel violated the blackout dates. After much back and forth, a week of various phone calls back to AGR Customer Service, AGR Trip Planning (whoever they are!) and various unseen supervisors, AGR finally agreed that "origination" really does mean "the start of the trip" and has promised to send us the tickets for real.

I hoping they keey their word this time and don't call me back in another week to say they've changed their mind again.

So I guess the lesson is that if you're persistent then AGR will actually honor the terms of the agreement, but they really make you work for it.

Bob

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we forget, and Mr. Gizmo's experience is indicative of such, that Amtrak Guest Rewards is an independent business enterprise and has a relationship with Amtrak as that of a travel agency.

What I have never seen a report of here is whether tickets issued in exchange for AGR points are issued on standard Amtrak stock or on ARC Airline Ticket stock.

I doubt if I will live long enough to see a reward on my AGR account - balance at present is 7742 points racked up since I joined during 2005.

Posts: 9982 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIZMOS
Member # 4953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GIZMOS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Lest we forget, ... Amtrak Guest Rewards is an independent business enterprise"

It's true - AGR is not Amtrak. I don't know the exact legal nature of their relationship, but they're certainly separate. OTOH, AGR does business using Amtrak's name and the the Guest Rewards points, just like airline miles, are both an incentive and reward for travelling on Amtrak. I'm not sure it's a good idea for Amtrak to wash their hands of anything that AGR does.

quote:
What I have never seen a report of here is whether tickets issued in exchange for AGP points are issued on standard Amtrak stock or on ARC Airline Tiocket stock.
The AGR tickets that I've received in the past look just like any other Amtrak tickets. Tell me what to look for and I'll let you know when (if!!) I receive this last set.

Bob

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any ARC logo on the stock would be a good tip off. The absence of any Amtrak logo would be another.
Posts: 9982 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pair of Amtrak tickets in my home right now 'purchased' using AGR points. (The trip is in roomette Chicago-Atlanta via Washington.)

They are printed on regular Amtrak ticket stock.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was the last time anyone saw a paper airline ticket?

Here's an interesting article about the demise of paper tickets:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/grossman/2008-05-30-paper-tickets_N.htm

The paper boarding pass is also headed down this road. Many airlines will now let you use an electronic boarding pass sent to your cell phone or other device.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week I booked a 2 zone trip with AGR. Austin to Seattle in August. The site value was over $1400 - one of the best things about AGR is being able to book late in the game without penalty.

The interesting thing was this time the confirmation says that I can pick up the ticket at any Amtrak station or Quiktrak machine. Earlier trips AGR has mailed the paper tickets to me. This seems like a significant change to me - it at least seems to make cancellation or change or plans easier.

So I am going to make this 5day 4night trip on Amtrak. Many on this forum would think I am mad. I am looking forward to it. About half a day of it will involve a transfer from 22 to 5 via Springfield and Galesburg: 2 hrs in each city + a 2 hr bus ride. I don't mind. And there will be a 9 hr layover in Sacramento from 3pm to midnight. I have a friend there who will meet me to have dinner and a long yarn so, again, I don't mind at all breaking up the trip that way. I have covered all of the track before, so I'll try to look out the other side this time!

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
City - I don't think you are "mad" -- have a great trip!!!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIZMOS
Member # 4953

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by GIZMOS:
I'll let you know when (if!!) I receive this last set.[/QB]

Well, it's been two weeks and I haven't yet received these AGR tickets. Can't decide if I should call and ask and risk re-opening the whole blackout days debate, or just pray that they're slow and keep waiting.

Bob

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COM, your trip sounds like one of mine, so how can I think you're crazy?

Re AGR, I like dealing with them. Sure, they sometimes make mistakes, but I find them pretty accommodating. And while it's true there are some blackout dates, I just avoid them. I try to avoid holiday travel in general.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
COM, your trip sounds like one of mine, so how can I think you're crazy?

Re AGR, I like dealing with them. Sure, they sometimes make mistakes, but I find them pretty accommodating. And while it's true there are some blackout dates, I just avoid them. I try to avoid holiday travel in general.

I'll add that in booking my trip AGR initially cited a charge of 20,000 points but, when asked, corrected that to 15,000 points. Chicago and Atlanta are both in the central fare zone even though the most direct route between them includes travel in the east zone.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page