RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Interesting Timetable Observation

Author Topic: Interesting Timetable Observation
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing a little research on the original CB&Q route between the Twin Cities and Chicago because I am riding an excursion train over this route in July.

A couple of remarkable things struck me while looking at the May 1969 Official Railway Guide;

1) Even at that 'late' date for the private US passenger train, the Burlington offered 4 daily departures from Chicago to the Twin Cities (and 3 returning).

2) Every train except for the overnight lollygaggers made the run from Chicago to East Dubuque, IL in under 3 hours. One, the westbound Morning Zephyr, was carded for a mere 2 hours and 42 minutes Union Station Chicago to East Dubuque.

Item 2 interests me because during the 1990's when I was working for a youth group in Dubuque, driving time CHI to DBQ over still mostly 2-lane US 20 was nearer to 4 hours. I know that much of US 20 is four lane now but I still would be surprised if today's drive time......beyond the speed limit and pushing the limits of prudent driving.... Chicago to Dubuque is much under 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Forty years later and we've still found no surface alternative for what the CB&Q was doing four times a day in 1969!

Remarkable.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how 4449's time on this route will compare to the 1969 service? Unfavorably, I would think, partially due to the need to rewater periodically.
Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the print and web material material regarding this excursion, it appears such will operate Mpls to Chi July 18 over the MILW, existing route of the Empire Builder, rather than the CB&Q.

However if I'm mistaken and the routing is over the "Q", then I guess I'll make it my business to get trackside at 18.34 and watch it pass. Possibly Mr. Presley could help me out with a phone call when they near that point.

Oh and a note on 18.34, as I explained to Mr. Haithcoat when we last met up during this past April, that is actually where my one-time office was located. The "main street' through Clarendon Hills, Prospect Ave, with the "Coffee House with a view" is 18.32. The BNSF (METRA) station is 18.30.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's much to be said for living "trackside", especially if you're a railfan. Part of my growing up years took place in a house just yards north of the Long Island Rail Road's main line (MP 12.9 measured from Penn Station, just east of the now abandoned Hillside station). Lots of action, including a small freight classification yard nearby.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
From the print and web material material regarding this excursion, it appears such will operate Mpls to Chi July 18 over the MILW, existing route of the Empire Builder, rather than the CB&Q.

However if I'm mistaken and the routing is over the "Q", then I guess I'll make it my business to get trackside at 18.34 and watch it pass. Possibly Mr. Presley could help me out with a phone call when they near that point.

Oh and a note on 18.34, as I explained to Mr. Haithcoat when we last met up during this past April, that is actually where my one-time office was located. The "main street' through Clarendon Hills, Prospect Ave, with the "Coffee House with a view" is 18.32. The BNSF (METRA) station is 18.30.

Be happy to do so.....phone that is..... assuming nothing changes and the CB&Q line remains the route of the day. Perhaps upon reaching Aurora?

The initial print and web material did not make it clear which route the train would follow on the 18th so I telephoned the 261 folks in Minneapolis before purchasing my ticket (in the dome car) for the trip.

They told me that the plan is the all Burlington route (pre-Amtrak Empire Builder) on July 18th..... (note that there are no ticket sales originating in Milwaukee on that day) and then using the traditional Milwaukee Road route on the return in early August.

I'll add that it is probable I would have spent my leisure train riding dollars elsewhere had this not been the case. The CB&Q route will be new mileage for me and that was the deciding factor. That the 4449 will haul the train is merely icing on the cake.

FWIW - the excursion calls for an 8am departure from the Harrison St. Yard in Minneapolis and a Chicago arrival at 6:00pm. (We'll see what actually happens) That's about 3 hours and 20 minutes longer than the Q's running times in 1969.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not mine

At one time this house @ 18.75 was owned by a railfan, and he had an "observatory" of sorts behind one of the front windows. However the family that owns it today (I know them) likely considers the view of a premier railroad operation quite the nuisance. Likely the whacking of $100K or thereabouts off a "comp" does not sit well with them either.

I'm waiting to learn of some 'cybersleuth" tracking me down.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocala Mike:

The good news is that the platforms at Hillside have been rebuilt. The bad news is that it's an Employees Only stop.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the SP 4449 will have to have a servicing stop o9r stops along the way
thus the longer schedule.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Remember the SP 4449 will have to have a servicing stop o9r stops along the way
thus the longer schedule.

Chris

Oh for sure. We recognize that the May 1969 schedule was achieved with 'State of the Art' (for that time) E-9 diesel locomotives.

With a steam excursion I'm in it for the adventure.....not over the road time.......just fascinating to me that the Burlington 40 uears ago was able to beat even today's driving time!

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page