RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » VIA Web Site

Author Topic: VIA Web Site
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm having several "senior moments", but I am having problems navigating the new VIA web site. It was a challenge before the changes. Their new web site seems to be just as confusing.

Here is the "Canadian" schedule between Toronto and Vancouver:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver/schedules/

I got this by going to VIA, choosing "Trains", then picking "Schedules".

How to you get the timetable for the eastbound Canadian from Vancouver to Jasper? What is the "42B", in red, signify? Finally, why is there a 1.5 hour stop in Jasper for the westbound Canadian (arrives at 1300 & departs at 1430)?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree this new website is not the most user friendly. To find Vancouver to Toronto, if you just scroll downward you will find "Vancouver to Toronto" click on and the e/b schedule will appear. As for 42b again if you move you mouse over it, the meaning appears i.e. a 48 hour flag stop request.

In addition to the one and a half hour stopover in Jasper, look at Winnipeg with its four hour stopover. Obviously padding gone wild.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Th/Le Canadia/en is no longer the Super Continental; it is now the Continental Limited.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Viarail, they are no longer offering the Senior Companion fares, which was quite a substantial discount on two people traveling, providing one is over 60. They still offer discounts for seniors, but it is nothing like it used to be.

I m sure glad I bought my tickets for my trip this Saturday on the Canadian several months ago. We are leaving tommorow taking the Maple Leaf from Buffalo into Toronto ,overnighting in Toronto and then leaving Saturday night all the way to Vancouver in an upper and lower berth.

I took this trip in March of 2006 alone,and now I m looking forward to all that daylight this time of the year. I ll post a report when I get back. We ll be arrivng in Vancouver on Canada Day July 1 and we ll be flying into Chicago for the 4th of July and then back to Buffalo on the 6th.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for the information. I finally, based on Royaltrain's post, was able to figure out how to see the Vancouver to Jasper schedule.

I still can't figure out why there is a 1.5 hr stop in Jasper and 4 hrs in Winnipeg. That seems long even with padding. Possibly it has to do with unscheduled stops through the Canadian rockies that are now permitted?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was interested to find that VIA apparently offers wifi service on their trains (at least some) and has some suggestions for behaviour on board. Would that Amtrak would follow their lead.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.5 hours in Jasper allows for crew changes and washing of the train. It also allows the passengers time to walk around town -- you can walk to most of downtown Jasper in about 3 minutes from the VIA station, and it is fun to walk around town some during the layover -- lots of souvenir shops and "touristy" places.

I don't know about the 4 hrs in Winnipeg -- that is new. When my wife and I rode the Canadian eastbound last summer, the Winnipeg stop was only an hour or so.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the timing changes were to extend the trip to four days and allow more time, at a reasonable time of day, in some of the cities. Makes it more of a tour than just transportation.

Jasper is indeed great, the station itself rather neat and the town right there. Nice ice cream place right across the street.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Vicki:

Do you, by chance, remember tbe name of the ice cream place across the street? I'm headed to Jasper on the Rocky Mountaineer, in Aug. We have 3 nights in Jasper, so the ice cream sounds good!

Any other places to visit in the town of Jasper you could suggest?

Richard

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon - Well the Rocky Mountaineer will be taking you to the major sights, right? The Ice Fields, Lake Louise, the fabulous hotel there. Frank in SBA can share on that place too.

As for the Ice Cream store, don't know the name but there is a very clear first block of businesses directly across the street from the station and it is among those. You really can't miss it.

We spent quite a few hours in the station as our Canadian was late. So we milled around the local area. The Skeena was sitting there too, I really want to take that some time. We were there in October, moose rutting season. Had to watch out for them! I suppose August might be moose sized mosquito season.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I was interested to find that VIA apparently offers wifi service on their trains (at least some) and has some suggestions for behaviour on board. Would that Amtrak would follow their lead.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

I was on a Via 1 trip last Sunday from London Ont. to Toronto, and it was announced that wifi was being offered free of charge. This is apparently only temporary as I was told the wifi service had some difficulties (slow, cutting out etc.) and until it is working properly Via is allowing free access.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page