RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Would You Recommend Amtrak? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Would You Recommend Amtrak?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Chemult, the "Thruway Bus" (which is actually a 12-passenger van) will meet the train -- therefore, if the train is late, the van will wait for the train to arrive. I imagine it's the same deal going back to Chemult.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others have noted, it is most important to ask the potential Amtrak traveller what his expectations are and how much he wants to spend. Most of the time I would not recommend Amtrak, especially long distance trains, to those who expect luxury and reliable service. I have a cousin who is a clean freak and extremely demanding wherever and by what means she travels. By air it is always first or business, in a hotel a mere room will never do, only suites. Room service must be impeccable, and if anything should go wrong, may God help the unfortunate staff. Obviously for this cousin I think I would recommend a mule train over Amtrak.

For other less picky individuals, once I inform them of Amtrak's many deficiencies, and that the first-class (sleeper) fares are more expensive than air (often more expensive than first or business class) and if they are still enthusiastic I may reluctantly recommend Amtrak on condition that they only go first-class, and agree not to sue me if they don't like the trip.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a combo of Trainlady and Smitty. I'd recommend the San Joaquins and Capitol Corridors without reservation, and would recommend LD trips with a bunch of caveats, particularly that the time and adventures be considered part of the trip.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page