RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Would You Recommend Amtrak? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Would You Recommend Amtrak?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure when or even if this topic has been addressed here in the past, but I think there could be interesting discussion arising from such.

The question is simply what Amtrak services would you recommend, with of course your good name standing behind such, to a non-railfan/hobbyist friend or associate.

I'll lead off; I would heartily recommend Amtrak for Northeast Corridor travel; I would conditionally recommend routes such as Chi-Milw and Chi-Springfield if the traveler had no need for an auto at destination. My conditional recommendation would apply on any of the college routes, although it seems like most any college kid I know has an auto.

I would not recommend LD's to anyone, but if asked I would give general advice on routes accommodations, etc. The best case in point is this past February on the Florida trip with my Sister. While down below, she developed an ear blockage (it runs in the family; I get 'em too) and deemed it best not to fly home to New York as scheduled. She ended up staying over two more days doing nothing more than going to the Doctor or shopping mall and eating salads at a Mickey D (last I saw of her was at a Hertz outlet after she had her auto "for the duration" in hand). I was not about to suggest "how about the train', even though she would have been home sooner. Had she asked, I would have needed some smelling salts.

Let's discuss with maturity and respect.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because you don't like LD trains doesn't mean your sister would not like them. You should have spoke up and let her decide.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What to say that I haven't said before, Mr. Norman? I remember passenger trains before Amtrak. Maybe that says it all.

No, I would not recommend Amtrak to anyone who wasn't a railfan. Friends ask me about trains, and I suggest a trip across Canada on VIA's train. I have found Amtrak service to be extremely variable, ranging from excellent to atrocious. I've been on very late trains with failed air conditioning, on trains where diners and lounges ran out of just about everything, on trains where toilets stopped working...there's not much point in going on.

I do recommend to friends that they take the train in the Northeast Corridor, where Amtrak runs a reasonably competitive service. I'd probably also recommend the short-distance California trains. But the LDs? No way.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I can add anything different; I'll endorse the NE Corridor trains. It's really the only way to get to New York from Boston these days. And look at Frank's (in usually sunny SBA) thread where he goes to the dentist on the train. Seems like the California trains work pretty well for getting around.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I am the dissonent voice. I would and do recommend the ld trains to friends. I exlain all the posasibilities pro and con. The nightmare flying has become is simply beyond the pale for me. I love the l d trains and don't mind putting up with some problems. The scenery is great, the food better than the mystery meals the airlines served, I don't have to sit for hours in a sardine can built for 12 where 13 are crammed in. Even the roomette is peaceful and comfortable. Now Coach is different. The 5 hours to Ct is about my limit. Actually I have had miserable experiences on the NEC ranging from bc that was worse than regular coach to nightmare bussing thanks to CSX. I might add I have made some wonderful friends while traveling on the train.We still keep in touch.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend the ld to. ld is a great way to see the country, and if your a little late, so what. The food is better, then planes, corridor trains. Plus if you get sleeper it is just as private as your car except you sleep as the train gets you to the destination, and you don't have to worry about food its always close at hand. Not the mention you meet interesting people on the train, people you would not meet in a car, or talk to on a plane. Not to mention the scenery is much better then being on an interstate, where it is just the signs and billboards. And it is even better then being 2200 ft up where you only make out a field or two, and large bodies of water.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom--

I didn't take the train to the dentist in Carp. I would if the schedules worked better but they don't. I just took advantage of being there to do a little train spotting.

I DO, however, take the train to and from Los Angeles. I just don't enjoy driving in that kind of traffic anymore. If someone else is willing to drive that's OK. If not, I'll take the Surfliner.

I would be hard pressed to recommend a LD trip on Amtrak unless I knew the person REALLY understood what they were getting in for.

Frank in overcast SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank what bothers me is it seems as if most of you equate every LD trip to a chamber of horrors. Most of the trips are fine. No one seems to mention the flights that are cancelled due to weather and people end up sleeping on the floor of the terminal sometimes for several days. No one mentions the cruises that are aborted because of wide spread virus. Sometimes I feel that all the complaints about Amtrak are a matter of peoples' preceptions and overly ambitious expectations. No means of travel is perfect. Why do expect more from Amtrak?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, congrats on your 3,500th post, btw...
I'm in the heartily "YES" column on all the trains, anytime, anywhere. With the exception of the awesome speed of air travel, I pretty much detest everything else about them, esp. the commute jobs, like SW Air. I find them rather dehumanizing; right from the have-to-take-your-shoes-off point. The generally unpleasant TSA employees, the unfriendly seat partners...I'll make an exception on transpacific Asian based air carriers like Asiana, Singapore, Cathay-- here it's different, but I will use the train whenever possible. I'm in a minority here, in that I get some pretty deep discounts on Amtrak, but I'd still use it paying full price. Like Frank, if you're going to LA-- it's Surfliner all the way...I applied for the tickets to the Mike Jackson Memorial at Staples this Tuesday; if I get the tix, I'll "Surf" up there and report back here about all the kitschiness...how could it not be over the top? I'm already hearing about white tigers and elephants (for real!)

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains to people. If I lived down in SoCal, I would recommend the Surfliner or Metrolink and Coaster, depending on where they would want to go (and when). I don't have any friends on the East Coast that I could recommend Acela to, but if I did, I would recommend that service (I've never been on the NEC trains except Acela, so I don't know about the other ones).

Long-distance trains--no way. If Virgin America flies to a destination they are interested in, I HIGHLY recommend flying VA. They are the BEST airline in the world. On-time, clean, modern, friendly crews (including the cockpit crew who comes out before every flight and says hi to people), personal TV's at every seat, in-plane chat rooms on your TV, live DirecTV broadcasts, thousands of songs to choose from and build your own playlist, and on and on.....Sorry, but when flying VA, there is just no way to compare it in any ways/shape/form to Amtrak--none. And it's cheaper and quicker.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a post, a while back, with a link to a long list of complaints about Amtrak. Some of the members of the Trainweb forum conveyed the idea that all of the complainers were not "real railfans". My disagreement with this concept is, I think, a basis for answering Mr. Norman's question.

The non railfan comes into the Amtrak picture without bias. The massive complaints by non railfans must be considered. Some of Amtrak's problems are not Amtrak's fault...lack of adequate funding and on-time problems due to the freight carriers. But much of the problem is Amtrak's. Poor service, unlclean and clogged toilets, paint peeling off the wall, running out of food, poor food, and surly attendants are not problems that connot be fixed, in my opinion. Funding can affect these, but I would be in favor of cutting back the number and frequency of routes to gain some improvement. Amtrak cannot cater just to passsengers who are railfans or don't wish to fly. Finally, as I have a lot of libertrarian blood in me, I think any government-run entity will be loaded with problems with regard to inadequate funding and a general poor quality of services.

Having said all of that, I can answer Mr. Norman's question with "darn right I can recommend Amtrak to friends, and I always do!"

I will agree with many of the comments posted above. I think commuter corridors offer the best service. However, I still think of LD trains as a great way to travel. Trains such as the Starlight and the Empire Builder go through some of the most beautiful and interesting country in the nation, and I can recommend those and other LD trains for that fact, alone.

I do warn people about the pitfalls of Amtrak, especially the LD train. But, I am a railfan and will say it is the only desirable way to have fun in travel. I don't expect much..if Amtrak could get back to the 1990's level of service, that would be good enough for me.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too remember with substantial fondness the excellent trains and service prior to Amtrak. This tells me that it can still be done, so why not?
Living in AZ I drive to all locations west from KC as I have many locations to visit. If I fly as I did last year to DC I fly 1st class. It only cost me $250 more than coach (by shopping online).

The southern CA trains are great and after driving over there I sometimes leave the car and ride them.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that it whatever mode of transportation you choose there are going to be negatives and positives. What really helps improve the experience and minimizes the downside is being prepared. I'm always amazed by the number of people who arrive at the airport, train station or cruise terminal totally clueless.

On my last trip through Nashville (BNA -- An interesting three letter code to research!) I noticed that they now have three lines for security. One is for "Handicapped and Families". The next is for "Air Travel Novices" and the third is for "Experienced Travelers". I don't know if this was done by the airport or by TSA but it really helps with the flow. I got in the "Experienced" line because I know about removing my shoes, emptying my pockets, taking my coat off, etc. Even with the stop for the routine check of my hip replacement I was on the other side of security in the "Reassembly Area" in under five minutes.

For cruise travel we always check in on line, have our documents ready and are usually onboard in ten to fifteen minutes. (The lone exception was when we sailed from Ensenada and had to wait on a bus for almost an hour because the hotel where the check-in was being done didn't have the capacity to handle the crowd.)

For train travel I always pick up my ticket(s) in advance (would that they could be printed online) and, for short trips, take my own water and snacks. For longer trips (I'll be doing one more to burn my AGR points) I follow the excellent advice I've found here not forgetting the duct tape! I also expect delays and hope for at least some level of professionalism from the crew.

Just my two cent's worth on a gorgeous, sunny 4th in SBA.

Frank

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
On my last trip through Nashville (BNA -- An interesting three letter code to research!)

Here we go:

http://www.nashintl.com/about/history_bna.aspx

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman--

Here's a bit more to add to the story:

The airport first opened in 1937 as Berry Field. It was named after Harry S. Berry, the Tennessee administrator for the Works Progress Administration.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would unconditionally recommend Acela travel and Autotrain travel; I would recommend certain LD trips with caveats (i.e., the CZ and the EB).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
and don't forget the swc and the cl
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend rail travel to people all the time - mainly by putting my own butt in the seat and talking about it. Anyone who knows me knows that I am an opera fan and that my preferred method of getting there is by train. Many people say, oh how interesting, and quite a few have taken the plunge: none have come back with complaints.

I am taking the TX Eagle to San Antonio tonight. Folks both here in Austin and in San Antonio say: 'There's a train? I didn't know there was a train.' Well, there is and it offers perfectly good service - running right on time today. I fully expect to arrive in SA around 9:30pm (an hour early) having enjoyed my short journey. I have been checking the website this afternoon and had there been the dreaded 'service disruption', I always have the option of the bus which takes almost as long as costs nearly twice as much is fully as erratic as Amtrak and is much less conveniently located at this end. I expect to also be making regular monthly trips to Fort Worth beginning in the fall. Same story.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not I would recommend Amtrak would depend on the needs of the traveler making the inquiry. It depends on the destination, the preferences of the person traveling, availability of various modes and relative costs.

One real world example: A colleague who lives in Salinas was making several business trips to Sunriver resort in central Oregon. He would drive to San Francisco, park in long-term parking, fly to Portland, rent a car, and drive 4 hours to Sunriver.

I suggested he take the Starlight from Salinas in the evening and sleep on the train. In the morning he could get off in Chemult, where he could take a one hour Thruway bus ride to the front door of Sunriver Lodge. He liked the sound of that. As far as I know, however, he never went back there, so he didn't have a chance to try it out.

I generally don't recommend long distance trains for day trips. LDs are best suited to overnight trips in the 450-1000 mile range. Anything less and it's easier and cheaper to drive. Anything farther and the cost is significantly greater than flying, unless you go coach. But for the 450-1000 mile range, the train is faster than driving (no overnight motel stops), the price is competitive with flying, and the time factor is offset by sightseeing opportunities.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
I applied for the tickets to the Mike Jackson Memorial at Staples this Tuesday; if I get the tix, I'll "Surf" up there and report back here about all the kitschiness...how could it not be over the top? I'm already hearing about white tigers and elephants (for real!)

Well Bob, so far 1.2 million people have applied for tickets. 8500 to get two tickets each. Beyond belief! Tigers and elephants? Guess I will have to stay home and keep the TV tuned to this one.

Meanwhile, all those folks who take the Metrorail to work, going right by Staples Center, will have a difficult time getting on their trains.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell all my friends, when they ask, that taking Amtrak is an adventure and I love it. I'm always promoting train travel to my friends. I love the LD's , however I make sure they know what can happen. I've been stuck in airports during snow storms, which is why I use the train in winter.
This September I'm going to LA from Emeryville for a Giants/Dodger game. I wouldn't think of going any other way. My traveling partner has never been on Amtrak and I'm hoping the Starlight shows its best side.

Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad Bob: Is it true that if you bring a chimp to Staples Center on Tuesday, then both you and the chimp get into the MJ memorial for free?
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about that, Ocala M., but if I win the ticket lottery, I was going to offer one of the tickets to Hopeful Vicki...she might want to see those pink elephants and stuff!
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait to see the memorial on Tuesday---I think it will be quite a spectacle! I guess I could say "circus" would the right term, but the funny thing is, the circus (Ringling Brothers) will be moving in immediately afterwards to open their show the next day! How ironic is that?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Mr Resor and Mr Norman, I travelled on the name trains before Amtrak. My specific travel is on UP 9 and 10, the City of Saint Louis. I've seen Echo Canyon and the top of Sherman Hill from the dome, eaten French Toast from the dome of a dome diner, and slept in an upper berth as only the Pullman Company could do it.

Do I recommend Amtrak LD? Yes, as vacation travel, where the trip can be part of the decompression lauching or finalizing the vacation.

Business? No. I don't have the time to give to business travel by rail anymore, at least not in the US. Amtrak does not have the things I need to effectively do work enroute ... specifically, quality wireless connections out in the deep boonies of the West. No, a sat phone doesn't cut it Byers Canyon, and there are times it doesn't work coming from Dodge City to Albuquerque.

Short hauls? Right now I'm not big on them. The Missouri River Eagles (I know they have a new name now) are an afterthought on a crowded singletrack Union Pacific. I do have to admit, it's 2x daily service. I can't wait to see what the Kansas Legislature does in 2010 for the Heartland Flyer extension. They need no less than 2x daily KC-DFW. Will it happen? The good news is Kansas is not California, with a $24B deficit. The bad news is Kansas for the new FY had an effective $-0- reserve fund (I posted the number in the KS thread).

NEC and Chicagoland? Haven't needed those lines. Others tell me they work. That's a good thing.

I have to wonder at the folks who want HSR. I've become the man with the bucket of cold water on a lot of pipe dreams: WITH WHAT MONEY? China some day is going to call our paper. Watch our standard of living when that happens.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Smith; ref:

E-Bay

I'm reminded of Major Clipton's closing line of script from the movie "The Bridge On The River Kwai':

"Madness!!! ....Madness!!!!"

What will happen if the authorities start checking ID's as I understand the tickets will be "registered' and are marked non-transferrable; not for resale.

OK, I'm sorry that a popular entertainer deceased at a turning point in his career.....but.....enough is enough!!!!!!!!

Finally, "utter absolute madness":

E-Bay

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Wow---9 million dollars???? Holy smokes.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually recommend train travel to my associates (unless the proposed itinerary would involve some kind of out-of-the-way or middle-of-the night connection, or a ridiculously "roundabout" route to get where they want to go), but I too tell them about the potential problems. If I recommend an LD train, I definitely recommend that the person go in a sleeper rather than coach.

Short-haul and corridor trains are highly recommended by me. For many years I rode the old Blue Water Ltd between East Lansing, MI and Chicago, to visit my folks when they were alive and living in the Chicago suburbs.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is very broadly framed. People travel for all kinds of reasons. I am glad that I have never had to travel on business, apart from leading a few school trips from the UK to Germany and France, where most of the travel was by coach/ferry or train/ferry. The one time we did fly from Bremen to Newcastle it was a blessed relief that the journey was over so quickly! So planes do have their uses, at times and on short routes.
I agree with train lady. Having experienced Amtrak, granted only on holiday, which I admit makes a huge difference, I have recommended Amtrak to friends in the UK and they too have enjoyed the experience. I also draw attention to the things that can go wrong, as chronicled on this site, as we have experienced very few problems, either on the shorter Californian routes, on Acela or the five long distance trips we have made.
Train staff, with one minor exception, have been efficient and polite beyond the call of duty. People tend to react to the way in which they are approached. I certainly found Amtrak staff more human and approachaable than Via crew between Montral and Toronto. The food was also much better on Amtrak. Food on the l d trains is also more than acceptable; it is not simply there to help distract from the experience of flying, it is part of the journey, as is the company you meet at meal times.
Compared with flying, train travel in any country, even the UK at off-peak times, is much less of a hassle. On departure there is very little hanging around. We have encountered very disagreeable airport staff in Paris, San Francisco, Chicago, twice, and Montreal; pleasant ones in JFK and Cincinatti. We have, however, also experienced very inefficient pre-boarding station staff at Penn and Montreal.
We have received wrong or deceitful information while flying. Planes have been cancelled with no reason given. Flights have been missed because of connecting flight delays. Yes, this can happen with rail too. No system is perfect, I sometimes think people feel Amtrak should be.
I do not deny that airport security is important but no-one can enjoy being herded, shoeless and beltless, through the screening process, juggling with coins of different currencies in different containers. On several ocasions I have had the impression that security screening attracts employees for the wrong reasons, that is other than those who are obviously bored out of their minds.
Trying to sleep, cramped, with the seat in front pressing against my knees, on the overnight plane back to Europe, with screaming infants and whining toddlers around, is one of the most unpleasant travel experiences there is, paticularly when compared with the overnight accomodation supplied by Amtrak.
Then there is the scenery, which on holiday is so important. I have rented a car in Colorado but the driver can never fully appreciate the scenery, even on relatively quiet roads. Here surely Amtrak l d must score over all other forms of transport. Then again it depends if one is travelling for pleasure or business. I rarely read when on the train, even though I always have a book with me. Just watching the scenery, the landscapes, townships pass by is distraction enough. Granted the stretch from just after Grand Junction to Helper can pall after a while, but so does the view onto unbroken clouds or the Atlantic or even the vast Canadian interior.
I certainly look forward to my next Amtrak experience and from hearing from friends who are travelling this year.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As Topic Originator, I am pleased to note how the discussion has moved forth with maturity and respect. The off-topic "sidebars" relating to Michael Jackson could have been to far more inflammatory topics.

Again allow me to note that my overall assessment of "more positives than negatives' stands with regard to Amtrak travel. I realize such hardly represents "ecstasy", but it is more favorable than some I have seen here.

However, I'm not about to go running around to my "McMansionite' neighbors (my 1300ft "Mini-Mansion" was completed during 1942; I've lived here since 1979), all of whom seem to use commercial transportation for their Xmas, Spring Break, and Summer out of town journeys, (the Escalades and LX-470's get no further than KORD), "hey guys, how 'bout thinking of a train trip....'. I think there are zealots out there who would think I have a "duty' to do so.

However if I were to be asked, I'd give straight answers. But, I'd be derelict if I did not mention how inconsistent the product is and that any journey becomes some sort of an adventure. While some of course want adventure rather than my air travel overall assessment "no fun but soon enough over and done', the McMansionites simply do not.

Finally, I can recall an incident of "over the top" zealotry. A few years back, some railfans were hanging around the Glenview IL station, which is a transfer point to O'Hare by taxicab or livery. They were approaching air travelers trying to entice them to ride the Empire Builder and even offering to drive them down to CUS for the Chief or Zephyr. While well intentioned (so far as they were concerned) that was too much; I'd hate to think of the potential of liability for "he with the deepest pockets'. Hopefully, someone broke them up - I had no reason to hang around to find out.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Well I am happy to see that I am not the lone voice in the wilderness. I admit I am as biased about flying as some are about trains.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"People tend to react to the way in which they are approached," MGT writes. Amen.

Put another way, cheeriness begets cheeriness. The happy traveler approaches a flight, a cruise, or a train trip knowing that "adventures" (as GBN so ironically calls them) may or may not occur, and the best way to deal with them is to shrug them off and focus on the things that delight.

The Joe Btfsplks of this world will never be happy.

Forewarned is forearmed, however. I would not hesitate to recommend a trip on the CZ, SWC or EB, but would always advise a tyro traveler of the things that could happen -- fritzed heat/AC, delays, crew problems, problems with provender, etc -- and prepare for such eventualities.

I'd also warn not to expect the mythical level of service of the Good Old Days. Those days are gone forever.

Finally, I would take the example of the always wise Mr. GBN and pack a few bottles of honest plonk for consumption in the sleeper.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recommend Amtrak to a friend? Of course. However, with some caveats.
NEC: Acela, First Class ONLY. Usually on time and the in car service is usually "good".
East: The Silver Meteor, sleeper only. I have taken it the last two years for our annual GeezerFest in SRA. For me it is an integral part of enjoying the event. I suggest roomettes to singles and bedrooms to couples.
On my trips the trains have been very close to on time by trips end, north or southbound. The in car services have been "fair".
LD: Again, sleepers only. Roomette for singles, bedrooms for couples. On time performance varies by route. I try to steer folks away from the LSL, Cardinal and SL. On both the on time perfomance and on train services. All of which on our numerous trips have varied between terrible and completely unacceptable. The only equivocation is to measure the sights available on the Cardinal against the paucity of service and complete lack of any thought of arriving on time. The Cresent on board services have been fair to good. On time perfomrance: acceptable.
The CZ: The fair on train service coupled with the crap shoot on on time performance are in my opinion well worth the trade off for the scenery DEN/SAC.
The SWC: The best direct way to get from LA to Chicago. On board services generally rate fair and we've yet to miss an EB connex.
The CS: The train I love to hate. On board service can be absolutely fabulous one trip and absolutely absent the next. Same for on time performance.
The EB: Probably the most constant service wise,if you don't count last years midwest flooding. The on board service is usually good to very good. The on time performance has been for us, "good".
We ALWAYS tell our friends the perceptions are from OUR expeience and may have no relation to what they experience.
That we enjoy LD traveling by train is evident from the fact we've done so in four of the last five years and will again this Autumn. Additionally as noted above I've traveled solo BOS/SRA twice in the last two years.
So the answer is a definate YES...but with caveats...'cause we'd like to stay friends.
Best regards,
Rodger...and the bride of 45 years.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recommending train travel when you live in Steubenville, Ohio takes care of itself. The nearest station is Pittsburgh, 50 miles away with poor parking and one thru train, and the end point of another train per day. (Capitol Ltd. & The Pennsylvanian)

Since I am known for train information (AAA tells people to call me) I ask a lot of questions of the person before I recommend Amtrak. People I have recommended and helped with train travel have all been thrilled, but I make sure they have the correct expectations before departing.

Air travel in our area is with Pittsburgh International Airport, which is 25 miles away; and people have adapted to diminished service, so expectations with any mode of transportation has lowered in the past few years. People in our area drive longer distances to airports in Columbus, Cleveland, and Akron-Canton for pricing and flights; but the parking at Pittsburgh Amtrak Station remains a real negative to even the adventuresome.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's roughly 2 hours to the closest Amtrak route from here, being either the Cardinal, Capital Limited, or Pennsylvanian. With Amtrak completely and literally 'out of sight, out of mind' there are people here that dont even know what Amtrak is. When I lived in Salisbury NC I was a die hard advocate for Amtrak because it ran through town 6 times a day. Its been 5 years since my last Amtrak ride. Since I've lived here in Clarksburg WV my views and opinions on Amtrak have almost drifted into a void of complete indifference.

However, based on past and personal experiences:

The Pacific Surfliner and Amtrak Cascades I could easily and always highly recommend. Never took Acela or the NE Corridor routes but feel I could recommend them as well. Same for Amtrak California.

Long Distance 'day routes' like the Carolinian where fine in my opinion, but to others 12 hours in a metal tube just dont cut it. Overnighting in Coach is another story based on a persons endurance ability.

I would literally have to interview a perspective LD customer to see how much money they wanted to spend, how important time and comfort are to them, and then offer alternatives. I would of course be completely objective, pull up timetables and onboard route amenities, give them complete details, and then let them make the final decision.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
Its been 5 years since my last Amtrak ride.

but to others 12 hours in a metal tube just dont cut it. Overnighting in Coach is another story based on a persons endurance ability.

Good post, dmw-- sounds like you are overdue for an Amtrak trip, though! [Smile]

I don't like 12+ hour metal tube rides either; it's just that for me, they're easier on the trains than the airplanes. For some reason, I never get the claustrophobic feel of the planes, on the train. However, those roomettes (the old "economy bedroom") are pretty smallish, esp. if you're a large/tall person, or have 2 in the room... however the privacy, and not being around wailing kids is a nice inducement to have one; also you just sign for your food in the diner.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Mr. Norman--

Here's a bit more to add to the story:

The airport first opened in 1937 as Berry Field. It was named after Harry S. Berry, the Tennessee administrator for the Works Progress Administration.

Frank in Sunny SBA

BNA is a sentimental airport for me - for my first plane ride, my grandmother took me on Ozark Airlines from Clarksville, TN to Nashville - Berry field (all of 40 miles). Would have been in the late 50's and was a great DC-3. Interestingly there was a beautifully restored Ozark DC-3 parked at the Marthaton, Fl airport with its door open. I spotted it on a recent trip to the Keys. Anyone know its story?

To answer Mr. Norman's question, certainly the routes with frequent service (California, Milwaukee, NEC could certainly be recommended - and in spite of CSX, I think I could include NEC extended to Richmond and soon to be Lynchburg (NS). For any friend I valued, I think some selectivity is needed in recommending LD trains. Certainly the Empire Builder, Starlight and maybe CZ would be at the top of the list. Don't think any Viewliner trains would make the cut until they did some serious maintenance work on the equipment (or had new cars) - including diners. Also the scenery does not compensate for other shortcomings as on western trains. I, of course, would take any of them - although my one trip on LSL was probably enough.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair the majority of cruises are not aborted for any reason, just diverted. You still cruise, just to somewhere else.

I personally expect a higher level of 'everything' from Amtrak because if I choose them over a substantially quicker, much cheaper mode of transportation they had better offer something to make it worth my while. That means better service, better food, better entertainment, and better everything. Otherwise, I choose NOT to go on Amtrak and someone else gets my business.

quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
No one mentions the cruises that are aborted because of wide spread virus. Sometimes I feel that all the complaints about Amtrak are a matter of peoples' preceptions and overly ambitious expectations. No means of travel is perfect. Why do expect more from Amtrak?

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recommended Amtrak travel and will continue to do so BUT first I want to know a little about what the person I am recommending the train to is looking for -

Are they looking for something cheaper than flying? Are they afraid to fly? Are they looking for a scenic cruise? Are they wanting a taste of what it was like to travel by train?

If I know these things about the prospective passenger, I know if the advice would be 'avoid everything outside the northeast corridor or the Auto-Train' to 'sure, book that cross-country trip from Charlotte to Seattle.....go the long way and don't miss the California Zephyr'.....

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
In the morning he could get off in Chemult, where he could take a one hour Thruway bus ride to the front door of Sunriver Lodge.
Mr. Toy:

I have thought about doing something like this. I see, by the CS schedule, it arrives in Chemult at 9:40 AM. How much of a wait, in Chemult, would it be before the Thruway bus gets in? Also, if the Starlight is really late is there a possibility you could miss the bus connection?

What about going back? Is there a bus from the Sunriver Lodge which would connect with the CS on the train's way back to Calif? I see the Starlight gets into Chemult around 8 PM, if it's not late..that might be more difficult.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page