RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto-Train..Top or Bottom

Author Topic: Auto-Train..Top or Bottom
NJBill
Member # 5602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJBill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be leaving for our first trip on the Auto -Train this Sunday. Is it better to try to sit (we are in coach) on the first or second level? It will be my wife and I with our kids 12,12,14.
Any other tips would be appreciated...

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of a few moments ago, there is a Family Room open on 53(20); the rate for such looks "adequately attractive'.

There's my first tip; I can give you many more (17 journeys to date) should you choose to book such; however, I cannot help too much regarding life on the head end (or rear on NB #52)as that is "not exactly" a "been there done that".

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the kids will spend a lot of time wandering the train, as well as the fact they try to keep lower level for those unable to climb stairs, I would suggest the upper level.

Also, even though I prefer sleepers, I think one family room with 3 "older kids" is a little inadequate (tight).

JMHO

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of class of service you intend to use, I can give you help with boarding and alighting.

First, be sure you allow adequate time for your drive from origin to Lorton. The 3PM cut off for autos (2PM for SUV's) means just that. While during '07, I did get a 2 minute "break", I have seen instances where 15' after close, a Caddy is driving up with horn a blarin', and with the driver becoming quite indignant when being denied loading.

I find Google drive times to be quite 'aggressive'. I would suggest adding 10% to such, as for anyone who adheres to speed limits, that would be needed. After factoring in the inevitable potty stops (you know necessary frequency and duration of such) then add an hour on top of that. You never know where or when traffic jams in the Balto-Wash area will occur, but all I can say they will be when you least expect such.

I would also suggest that before surrendering your vehicle (there is no access to it en-route) simply to pull into the visitor area, "take a breather", and 'take stock'. If rushed, it is simply too easy to forget some ostensibly "indispensable' item such as a cell phone, laptop, or whatever the "electronic plaything of the day" may be. If you are into the Yakima, Usushia or Thule set, or otherwise car top luggage carriers, you will have to remove those and place the luggage within the vehicle.

Upon arrival, that is when the "arewethereyetitis" sets in. The wait will seem interminable. While the standard answer is "we don't know when you will get your car back", don't believe that. Owing to the potential for claims, founded or otherwise, they must know exactly which autos (they are controlled by a loading number) are in which auto carrier car and where that car has been spotted, but play along and don't challenge them with this little piece of info.

Otherwise, if you choose not to upgrade to Sleeper, there are worse experiences out there - such as riding overnight Coach aboard any other Amtrak train.

Enjoy.

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/5821.html

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re Mr. Norman's contribution about the Family Room: The two child's berths are only 4' 9" long, much too short for any child which is past that "growth spurt". If the two twelve-year olds are late bloomers who have not yet reached 5 feet in height you might consider it; the bottom adult berth is wide enough to accommodate a husband and wife who are willing to snuggle up and the oldest child could go in the upper berth. It would be cramped, but doable. Otherwise, if you wished to upgrade to sleeper, you would need to book either a full bedroom (again, adults doubling up on the lower) plus a roomette, or else three roomettes (nobody over the age of three could ever double up in a roomette bed). Just FYI.

As to answer your question about "upper or lower": Presuming that there are no mobility impairments which would hinder you climbing or descending stairs to access the restrooms, choose the upper level. The view is better, the ride is not noticeably different, and you have more ready access to the lounge and diner.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you chose to upgrade, it will be just a tad tighter then the coach, but you get your own bathroom, that is the only difference. I don't know what the difference between a superliner and a viewliner is, but I can fit 4 in a bedroom on the viewliner, it was a little tight but it is possible.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Family Bedroom on a Superliner does not have its' own restroom. It is a shared restroom on the lower level (shared by other sleeper passengers).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page