RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bush plan for Amtrak

Author Topic: Bush plan for Amtrak
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to a Washington Post story about the Shrub Administration's "plan" for Amtrak. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13473-2002Jun19.html

Nothing new here. Pretty much a rehash of the ARC plan, but lacks the ARC's committment to some sort of national rail service. It appears to be more of an exercise in Republican political ideology, rather than a genuine plan to make things work. I note that Bush will not increase Amtrak's budget next year unless an appropriations bill is consistent with the principles outlined. In other words, "My way or the highway" (pun intended).

It is especially disappointing to see Norman Mineta going along with this charade.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 06-19-2002).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shrub Administration??!!??

There's no such person in any administration having anything to do with Amtrak or trains in general.

If the intention was to belittle our President; that says a lot about you and your pettiness.........

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a miserable "plan" that is little more than unworkable ideology. Can one image the chaos that would ensue if other forms of transportation were handled similarly? If this is the best the Bush Administration can come up with, it should just leave it to Congress. The ARC plan, with all its flaws and questionable assumptions, was a masterpiece compared with the Bush plan.
Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, highway transportation spending is controlled by the states, who do all the design and construction (via contract) with money provided by the FHWA.

FTA provides money to the states for transit system projects on the same basis. In neither case is there any direct Federal control.

It seems to me that the issue here is whether Federally-supported rail should be a series of state-by-state corridors (or corridors involving two or more states) or some sort of national system.

If you analyze Amtrak's ridership, you'll find that 75% of passengers are on short-distance trains, so that's a pretty good answer to the question of what Amtrak's network should look like.

Long distance trains which use freight railroad tracks could be run under contract by almost anybody. No Amtrak needed.

The Bush plan is vague, but looks like a start, anyway. Let the debate begin.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Federal support is the key to Amtrak's survival does anyone know how Via rail is supported, by private or Federal, in Canada? Does Via operate in the red or do they actually make a profit?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rresor wrote: "Long distance trains which use freight railroad tracks could be run under contract by almost anybody. No Amtrak needed."
IF the private freight companies are willing to let them... Amtrak has been running on their tracks for 31 years, and if a newborn private company that has no experience in running passenger trains came in, how would the host freight systems react?

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CK:
Since Federal support is the key to Amtrak's survival does anyone know how Via rail is supported, by private or Federal, in Canada? Does Via operate in the red or do they actually make a profit?

Glad you brought that up - Via actually makes a good case in point for the current Amtrak dilemma.

Via does run on government support, though the finer details may be different in its case. In the late '80s (early '90s?) Via's subsidy was cut dramatically, resulting in the loss of nearly half its system. At the time, the resulting outcry was confined mostly to rail-advocacy and other interested groups, as is the case in America now. The public was relatively quiet.

Ten years later, however, the lament in Canada is far more audible. With hindsight, it's generally conceeded that the Via cutbacks were a mistake, and were not worth the money saved. Unfortunately for Canada, it's too late - service won't be restored anytime soon.

This is a lesson we (the country, the government) would do well to learn from: Instead of questioning whether or not Amtrak is worth funding, we should ask ourselves if the benefits of not funding Amtrak are worthwile. Really, what would we save? What sacrifices are made for Amtrak now? One additional highway interchange per year?

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a follow on to gct29's post on the 1990 VIA cutbacks. With the exception of the highly trafficked, but still money losing, "corridor" (Quebec City-Montreal-Toronto-Windsor and connecting routes) VIA only retained routes which served very remote areas - many stopping in locations not accessible by road.

The best example of this is the famed Canadian. The former Canadian followed much the same route as the Trans Canada Highway, as did (and still does) Greyhound, while the more northerly Super Continental travelled a lesser served route. When one transcontinental was axed, the lower populated and lesser served route was retained (and renamed) while the train with more transportation alternatives was dropped.

From my point of view, providing a rail transportation service to communities that have no or few alternatives was the best (but not the only) reason for government financial support. Today, road congestion is quickly becoming an even better reason.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmtrakMole
Member # 1698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmtrakMole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny that George Bush has money for this:
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=19062002-121751-8795r

but finds it difficult to support a national railroad. Go figure.

------------------

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little clip from the previous report.

Definitely a worthy cause, as is our national rail passenger system.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmtrakMole
Member # 1698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmtrakMole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A worthy cause? Perhaps to some but certainly not me. Charity begins at home. This is 500 million that is better spent in this country. Granted giving money to either Amtrak or pregnant women in either Africa or the Caribbean, under the pretense of 'medical research, is pretty much a waste, I would still prefer to keep my tax dollars on American soil.

------------------

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the local news is correct, the AIDS money is being directed overseas at the request of religious (primarily Christian) missionary types. For some reason it has become a 'hot cause' they support.

That in general might be the "key" to getting Amtrak funds...the trains aren't seen as being that critical or necessary to any of the political groups currently in favor with the White House.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember all this folks when you go to the polls in the fall to vote.....
Posts: 27 | From: San Antonio, TX. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also am mad at the Bush "plan" and I am a Republican. But let's remember that the chief anti-Amtrak advisor is Mineta, a Clinton holdover. Clinton/Gore gave lip service to Amtrak but didn't pour money into it either. Before now, Amtrak's biggest cuts were during the Carter years. There are many Republicans in Congress who are major Amtrak supporters so get off the partisan trash. (I agree McCain is nuts...you guys can have him).

That said, I am mad as heck that there is not a plan from the president's staff to reorganize Amtrak so that its trains can continue, service eventually expand, and money be used wisely. But when you examine this rationally, Amtrak's past 2 presidents brought this on by their "Big Lie" that the company would be profitable. Now they are out in better positions...that is who we should blame.

I also am mad that for 31 years Amtrak has not tried to truly expand, especially in the sleeping car department. They just charge higher and higher prices and soak the public since many of us have to have a bed to sleep on and supply is outweighed by demand. I asked NARP's late president about this at a seminar years ago and he just blew it off so nobody in the passenger train advocacy gave a flip, from the way I see it.

I agree with earlier posts that this country wastes way too much money on foreign giveaways (often to enemies). Yet we can't properly fund a good passenger train network. This has been true through the administrations of both parties and is one of America's big blunders.

What really amazes me is how quickly this is happening. It will be an economic disaster for areas that rely upon commuter trains that will be unable to run. Leaving Amtrak passengers stranded is incredible as many are in the midst of cross country trips.

VIA Rail bought some British equipment cheaply a couple years back. They may be able to buy lost more usable equipment real soon (from Amtrak's creditors).

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Star:
[VIA] may be able to buy lost more usable equipment real soon (from Amtrak's creditors).

Alas, more foreign aid (ha, ha).

But on a serious note, funding is not an either/or question. America not so poor that we cannot afford to fund passenger rail while still paying for foreign aid and other programs. The money's there. Also, $1B is a drop in the bucket compared to humanitarian efforts elsewhere. Just goes to show how little Amtrak gets to begin with.

Further to the point, what will be saved by scrapping federal funding for rail in the first place? I don't see anyone screaming, "Hallelujia, our economy problems are over now that Amtrak is off our backs!" Amtrak's funding amounts to the equivalent of a highway on-ramp or two per year, or as Warrington put it, roadkill removal (some of which, incidentally, is human - we have yet to broach the collateral toll of highway policy).

To put it simply: The money that goes to Amtrak is a pittance, therefore the money saved by not funding Amtrak will be . . .

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GCT is exactly right. There is money for anything the gov't wants...I just say let's be more diligent in foreign spending and take care of providing a GOOD rail system with more service.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechtech
Member # 1459

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for mechtech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion some States like California, Florida, New Jersey and New York have their own good transport policies. Let these states handle the complete rail policy in the future, including their Amtrak services. They can make arrangements for connecting services between different states.
Posts: 9 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulfnshore
Member # 1201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulfnshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree money spent on AMTRAK is better then money spent in Africa
Posts: 17 | From: new york | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DisbandAmtrak
Member # 1429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DisbandAmtrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about we stop our crack-like addiction to foreign (middle Eastern) oil? Make gas $5 a gallon, THAT will sure make trains popular in a hurry.

Uncle Sam to Crowm Prince Abdullah, "Come on baby, give me some stuff, I need a fix baby, come on!"

Posts: 37 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is plenty of money for Amtrak and all of the other things mentioned then why are the politicians trying to convince us to vote for them because their opponents are
spending too much. This forum would be better served if we all left our personal
political preferences at the door when we enter. Congress(both parties) spends more on pork added to worthwhile programs than we are talking about for Amtrak. And why does
congress behave this way? Because small
constituincies (like rail enthusiasts)pressure them and so they vote for each others pork to keep themselves in office.
Term limits anyone.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's mighty difficult to leave your political persuasions "at the door" when discussing something like Amtrak that is so wrapped up in public policy.

I realize that of the three major Amtrak message boards (Forums), this board is more concerned with travel matters (i.e. "is Sleeper worth the money?), while trainorders addresses operational matters (extra long #4 consist left LA today). Public policy discussion has always been the mainstay over at railroad.net, but presently they have server capacity problems that I hope they can work through. Although the site is presently not "dead", it appears to be "lame". So I hope the members here that do not think public policy is appropriate for discussion will bear with us us who do until railroad.net gets back "up to speed".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with railroad.net, but I think discussions of public policy are fine on this forum.......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I am misunderstood. I think my response was definately about public policy, and I agree we should discuss it
But to digress into name calling and obvious
bias against any individual or political
party one should have very specific and irrefutable facts to present.
Once more, I believe my response was indeed
a discussion about public policy.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new to the board, so I hope you don't mind me adding my voice to this. I'm a conservative, and I voted for Bush, but I support Amtrak. The reason is that I think Amtrak is a public transportation issue, and really shouldn't be tied to a political ideology. Both Republicans AND Democrats have often failed Amtrak. Remember the first significant cuts occured during the Carter administration, around the same time they were bailing Chrysler out. It's also a matter of fairness; other forms of transportation are subsidized, so I don't have a problem with Amtrak being subsidized. I hope this makes sense. Like I said, I'm new. LOL!
Posts: 16 | From: Richmond, Virginia-USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That you voted for Bush, Mr. Chip, should not be any barrier to your participation here.

Lest we forget, Amtrak was formed under "closet railfan" Nixon's watch. The worst emaciation of the system (Floridian, National Ltd, Lone Star) occurred under Carter's watch, the second worst (Pioneer, Desert Wind) under Clinton's.

Much as the sponsors of these various Forums might wish to the contrary, there is nothing barring you from participating at more than one. The other two "majors" are www.trainorders.com and www.railroad.net - If either of these two wish to ban me for mentioning this "factoid of life", so be it!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
It's mighty difficult to leave your political persuasions "at the door" when discussing something like Amtrak that is so wrapped up in public policy.

I realize that of the three major Amtrak message boards (Forums), this board is more concerned with travel matters (i.e. "is Sleeper worth the money?), while trainorders addresses operational matters (extra long #4 consist left LA today). Public policy discussion has always been the mainstay over at railroad.net, but presently they have server capacity problems that I hope they can work through. Although the site is presently not "dead", it appears to be "lame". So I hope the members here that do not think public policy is appropriate for discussion will bear with us us who do until railroad.net gets back "up to speed".

Mr. Norman,

While each of the forums you mention are quite active (with the recent exception of railroad.net) and provide excellent sources of information, debate, discussion, et. al.. I find that the content is not as cut and dried as you contend. While it's true that the content tends to lean towards the interests of the more "vocal" participants, there is enough of a variety on each to cover all the bases.

While, for Amtrak at least, I do not frequent forums other than the ones you mentioned (again with the recent exception of railroad.net), I'm sure there are other members here who will feel their other favorite (e.g. Yahoo Groups) would rank higher on a "Top Three" list.

Although astonishingly inactive regarding Amtrak, my overall #1 railroad forum favorite has become railfan.net.

I do agree that it's hard to leave politics behind, but it's a good idea to not blame either party for Amtrak's current state. The same state of affairs has been going on through so many different houses and administrations.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 06-24-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page