RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » National corriders iniative

Author Topic: National corriders iniative
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed in the national corriders news letter for the 10th that there is a possibility of the return of the FEC line in south Florida in 2012. Have any of you who live down there heard or seen this?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I tend to question anything sourced from the Sun-Sentinel, I think we all owe Connie thanks for locating this material and sharing it here:

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df2/df08102009.shtml#AmtrakPassenger

To my best knowledge, the photo shows a SB train at Stuart FL.

No question that "there's been talk' about initiating both Amtrak and Tri-Rail passenger service over the Florida East Coast Ry. The route is more the "natural" for handling passengers with service through the "tony" downtowns of Palm Beach and Broward Counties. FEC is a superbly maintained piece of railroad and their freight trains operate on a timetable and at speeds of 60mph. Any calls for "massive funds needed to rehabilitate' the line are simply unfounded.

BUT

The FEC is not covered by any Amtrak related legislation nor is it party to any agreements with Amtrak. Any of the "rights of access" granted Amtrak under RPSA '70 and the May 1, 1971 Agreement are simply non-operatives.

While there are no constraints whatever regarding two or more parties agreeing upon conditions under which they will engage in a lawful business activity, I would dare say that Amtrak access to FEC property will be "heap big wampum' as, again, FEC is outside any provisions of RPSA '70 and the jurisdiction of the National Arbitration Panel.

Hello, Montreal.

I would think that 60 Mass will take a hard look, absent having to bend to some political breezes such as they did when re-establishing 449 as a BOS-CHI train, they will see that operation over the FEC is not in their interest. The reason, in addition to the surely "whopper' access costs and as I have noted here in the past, is that IF Amtrak is "under the gun" to kill an LD route (not likely at present, but the future.....?), the 97-98 Meteor over its existing route could be killed without any 180 Day Notice under ARAA '97. Reroute it over the FEC and the MIA-JAX portion would now require Notice.

But alas, I'm sure if the service were to be resumed, I'd be at the station for a joyride, as a ride over the FEC escaped me (I did observe during 1967 the two car "Local" train set laying over on Sunday at N Miami).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page