RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Live Blog from the Southwest Chief #4 Leaving LAX...... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Live Blog from the Southwest Chief #4 Leaving LAX......
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't written any sort of travelogue or taken any railroad related photos in about a year and a half now so I figured my trip this evening to Santa Fe, NM is the right time.

I'll be updating this page with info, photos, and hopefully my GPS signal will be linked as well.

Enjoy!

http://trainweb.org/coaststarlight99/SW_Chief2009.html

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good! Is Chris P. on this trip?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep...
Photos of the food, etc. now up! [Smile]

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep the updates coming! Tell Chris I said hi. I'm overdue for a trip down to Fullerton.

In your dinner pictures, I'm surprised to see mashed potatoes. I wonder when they started serving those?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is fun seeing a "live" broadcast from the train...and my favorite Amtrak train too [Smile]

Amazing what we can do with technology nowadays.

I remember wondering how in the world we were going to contact a rental car company from the Southwest Chief before arriving into Albuquerque a little more then 10 years ago. Now it's a no brainier with cell phones.

I'm looking forward to more updates. Have a nice sleep on the Chief.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep the reports coming.

The food looks pretty good. The salad has been upgraded a bit since my last trip. The garnish with the steak is a little odd though. A slice of tomato and a slice of orange???

I'm betting that that steak came from Cuisine Solutions or a similar provider. They have a process that produces pretty edible food for the mass market. Some airlines use it for their First Class product. And, as I've mentioned before, some of the line is available at your nearest Costco. I especially like the lamb shanks.

I missed you at LAUPT by a couple of hours today. I was on the 775 Surfliner to SBA at 2:55PM. It was an unremarkable trip except for the fact that Business Class was about 85% full.

Frank in cool and foggy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
I was thinking the same thing regarding that orange with the steak.

I've updated again this morning, breakfast was not quite as good...

Anton

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. I enjoy the updates, and the pics.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smitty, I have been getting mashed potatoes on DC-Chi for years. Don't remember about west of Chi
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Weird about the mashed potatoes.....I just looked through all of my AmFood pictures on my long-distance trips, and I don't have any pictures of them. Maybe they've been on the menu all along and I just never ordered them? Strange...

Great live blog Anton---I'm glad you're having a good trip! Make sure you keep Chris in line. [Smile]

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is fun! I'm enjoying this trip Anton!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on #3 currently sitting in Albuquerque.
there weren't any mashed potatoes last night for dinner. Pauline takes care of me in the dining car; I'll ask her about them tonight. I'd take a picture of my dinner, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to get it posted. I'll try!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Thanks for the comments all.
Arrived at hotel, and new updates are up.
I'm not use to doing this type of thing, so I may go through everything when the trip is over and add more commentary, etc.

Glad you're all enjoying.
Anton

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
It looks like you got chips from the bottom of the bag in your lunch picture! At least there wasn't a tomato slice and an orange slice like you had at dinner and breakfast. [Roll Eyes]
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Haha... Yeah the burger was different and so was breakfast

Dinner was probably the best considering it was prepared off the train. But the french toast and burger really had a taste to them that was not the same as being cooked on-board like old times.

Carl@trainweb.com
Member # 4654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl@trainweb.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last trip with you guys, Chris Parker couldn't sleep a wink on the trip. Is he doing any better these days? Tell him his photos are great, especially the SWChief at Lamy w/tree border, and the Lamy Station w/beautiful Arizona Sky.
Carl@TrainWeb.com

Posts: 11 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Now that Chris has photography nailed, all we have to do is get him on the internet. [Smile]
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at all the food reminds me of a question I've had about Amtrak's provision of a bisquit or croisant at breakfast rather than good old fashioned...and probably less expensive TOAST!
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told some years ago by an LSA that the reason for the no toast was that the toasters broke too often and were being "hi jacked" from one train to another in the yards.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Same with the soup. The big soup warmer (or whatever it's called) was removed at the same time as the toasters.
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carl@trainweb.com:
The last trip with you guys, Chris Parker couldn't sleep a wink on the trip. Is he doing any better these days? Tell him his photos are great, especially the SWChief at Lamy w/tree border, and the Lamy Station w/beautiful Arizona Sky.
Carl@TrainWeb.com

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I looked, Lamy was in New Mexico. not Arizona. Oh well.........
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pictures and good blogging.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing how you enjoyed the Santa Fe Southern.

Thanks also for getting pictures of that 'steak thing' on the forum. I had it twice last month...once on the Capitol from Chicago to DC and then the next night on the Crescent southward from DC. Mine didn't come with the orange or lettuce though. It was tasty and surprisingly tender so I can't complain......

But it still didn't live up to the great cooked on board steak I had about 8 years ago on the City of New Orleans. The chef was a mountain of a man who was proud to call New Orleans home and proud that I thought it was the best steak I had ever eaten on an Amtrak train.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
I was told some years ago by an LSA that the reason for the no toast was that the toasters broke too often and were being "hi jacked" from one train to another in the yards.

I was also given that broken toaster explanation when I asked "why no toast on Amtrak?" When I replied that other railways (such as Via) manage to produce toast, not counting the thousands of cafes and hotels that manage to serve millions of people and you can't find a working toaster?" I just received a "couldn't care less" shrug.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
But it still didn't live up to the great cooked on board steak I had about 8 years ago on the City of New Orleans. The chef was a mountain of a man who was proud to call New Orleans home and proud that I thought it was the best steak I had ever eaten on an Amtrak train.

There used to be a chef who worked the Coast Starlight, probably 5 or so years ago, who always brought a bag of his own seasonings from home. He would fix up the steaks, the pasta, and all of the dishes with his own special twist---and it was awesome. I just can not get into AmFood these days though.....this stuff just doesn't compare to how they used to do it. Maybe the whole SDS/disposable dinnerware thing will eventually go away. I can only hope so!
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Two chefs stand out in my mind In the 1980s there was one on the CL that made the best barbequed chicken I have ever eaten before or since. About 6n years ago there was a woman on the Crescent who made fantastic crab cakes with geen fried tomato as a side. there was no filler in those crab cakes and one time when she came up from the kitchen we all applauded her.She told me she used all her own recipes. Ah the good old days!!Just remembered a Mr. Smiley who was on the CZ. His specialty was mt. trout stuffed with carb. De licious!!!
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night on #3 I had the "flat iron" entre that Anton mentions. It's more of a pot roast rather than a steak, but perfectly acceptable and not too chewy. Mine also came with mashed potatoes and a hint of garlic.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
We have been getting flat iron steaks for about 3 years here. My butcher tells me it is a beef chuck blade cut thin. Actually if cut right it is very tender but not all butchers know how to cut it. A couple of years ago it was all the rage in New York Don't know if it still is.I do know it is a lot cheaper than most steaks.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Hey Anton, put down that latte and stop staring at the art.....and update your blog! [Smile] [Smile]
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
It's up! [Smile]
And we didn't spend anytime in Santa Fe today...we visited a Nat'l Park which name escapes me, and saw #3/4 arrive.

Tomorrow we'll catch the train back to L.A. via the SFSR Lamy run from the depot here in Santa Fe.

I will add more commentary and maybe more photos back in L.A.!

Enjoy

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that National Park perhaps called Bandelier? It is a short jaunt from Santa Fe (near Los Alamos). Awesome hiking is available there, including a beautiful trail down to the Rio Grande.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you take the picture of P-42 #51? It doesn't look as if it's on a track?
Best regards,
Rodger...We'll be on 4/02 September Los Angeles/Kansas City, then continue on 4/04 September (actually 06 September)Kansas City/La Plata and finally again leaving La Plata on 08 September to Chicago.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Yep, it was Bandelier. It was very nice indeed.

And P-42 #51 is the extra locomotive that is usually in ABQ. They also sometimes have a Superliner or two as well.

I'm now on #3 a few minutes out of ABQ.
More photos now up as well, and dinner in 4 hours.. I wonder what Amtrak is cooking tonight!?

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
quote:

There used to be a chef who worked the Coast Starlight, probably 5 or so years ago, who always brought a bag of his own seasonings from home. He would fix up the steaks, the pasta, and all of the dishes with his own special twist---and it was awesome. I just can not get into AmFood these days though.....this stuff just doesn't compare to how they used to do it. Maybe the whole SDS/disposable dinnerware thing will eventually go away. I can only hope so!
The fellow I'm speaking of was a large black man who had to weigh in the 375 to 400 pound range. I complimented his steak and he broke into a huge grin and said "I'm from New Orleans....what did you expect?".

I would imagine that Amtrak's food program today, if he is still with the company, is somewhat of an insult to this man.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
Yep, it was Bandelier. It was very nice indeed.

And P-42 #51 is the extra locomotive that is usually in ABQ. They also sometimes have a Superliner or two as well.

I'm now on #3 a few minutes out of ABQ.
More photos now up as well, and dinner in 4 hours.. I wonder what Amtrak is cooking tonight!?

#51 gets around.

It was the Amtrak locomotive trailing the SP 4449 on the July 18 Minneapolis-Chicago excursion I rode.

The following evening, July 19, it was in the consist of the Capitol Limited I caught to Washington.

--------------------
David Pressley

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Good story...and so true.
I remember some CS crews would bring dessert toppings as well.
I have to say out of all the new food, breakfast and dessert is the worst. The new desserts are way more fancy then the old ones and not nearly as good. Additionally, you just can't warm up french toast, eggs, etc. and expect them to taste fresh. Dinner is quite good however.

I put up some final photos just now.

Also, the LSA in the Diner did tell me that they may be bringing back real dishes to the Starlight soon.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
quote:

The fellow I'm speaking of was a large black man who had to weigh in the 375 to 400 pound range. I complimented his steak and he broke into a huge grin and said "I'm from New Orleans....what did you expect?".

I would imagine that Amtrak's food program today, if he is still with the company, is somewhat of an insult to this man.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Great blog! I wish Amtrak brought back the Turtle Pie for dessert. That was the best AmDessert EVER.

Enjoy your last night on the choo-choo.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
It looks like you guys arrived over an hour early into Union Station. Thanks for the excellent blog!
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Thanks Andy, I just updated it one last time! [Smile]

The trip was overall very good. I just wish Amtrak would refurbish the rest of the Sleeping Cars as some are really in dire need.
And the food is not bad, but it's far from restaurant style anymore. The server brings the salad, and roll as soon as you sit down THEN takes your drink order.

You also can't even ask for your "steak"/beef to be cooked in any particular way because it's all pre-cooked as they announce to customers.

If Amtrak could just make the cars look presentable and the food good once again, that would be wonderful!

Until then, Amtrak is lucky people are still willing to dish out big $$ for sleepers in this condition.

Thanks for all the comments everyone,
Anton

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Actually...... I rarely dish out the $$$$ for sleeper at all anymore.

I use my Amtrak Guest Rewards Credit Card for all of my automobile related purchases (gas, oil changes, tires, etc.). Beyond that I do purchase tickets for coach and business class travel when the offer presents itself. I generally earn enough points for about three overnight trips every two years or so.

I think the last time I actually spent money on a sleeper ticket was about 2003 or so.

--------------------
David Pressley

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page