RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AGR 2MM Promotion

Author Topic: AGR 2MM Promotion
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I registered for this promotion but can't find any detailed information about it. If I am reading it correctly 2 million points will be divided among all AGR members who ride on 20 August.

My question is, will they be divided evenly or will it depend on the length of your trip and/or cost?

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really surprised that I haven't gotten a response to this one! Am I the only one who got the e-mail? Are all 2 million points going to be mine???

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my email today, and here is some of the "fine print" but it really doesn't answer your question:

The share of two million points will be determined based on the total number of Amtrak Guest Rewards members registered for this promotion with travel on August 20, 2009, regardless of the number of trips taken by each member that day. The share of two million points is in addition to regular Amtrak travel points or any other promotional bonus points you may qualify for on August 20, 2009. These bonus points will post separately to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account by October 1, 2009, and will not post at the time of your Amtrak travel points or promotional bonus points earned on August 20, 2009.

I don't know how they're going to determine your points based upon that statement. It could be read as just a simple bonus that is divided amongst all registered members. Or........it could be that, plus taking into account the distance you travel. My WAG (wild a*s guess) is that everyone will receive the same number of bonus points, regardless of how far you travel. Good question though!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, does anyone have a good guess of how many AGR members would be traveling on a Thursday????

Frank in dark and foggy SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me. I bequeath my points to you Frank.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks, Vicki. I think I deserve it for that nice trip to the Bird Refuge and all of the "Naked Ladies"!! [Big Grin]

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is nice...

Houston has NO Amtrak service on the 20th. The Sunset Limited goes through Houston, both ways on 8-21, but there is no Amtrak on 8-20. Looks like 4,000,000 people miss out on this promotion, unless we drive to Austin.

Oh well...

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Malerich
Member # 14676

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Malerich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be on a short (98 mile) round trip from Ann Arbor to Royal Oak and back. I've wanted to do this for at least a few years and the promotion just gave me an added incentive to do it.

Hopefully we can all compare the rewards in October and then try to determine the allocation formula.

Posts: 6 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be working, ah-gain. Work. work. work. Otherwise I'm not sure if it would be worth a six hour roundtrip shuttle bus ride to Pittsburgh to get my share of the points, although I wouldn't mind a quickie Amtrak trip to 'anywhere but here'. Getting tired of 'here'.

Signed,

Help! I need a freakin vacation!

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to everyone who is "dropping everything" today in order to do a little "point chasing".

Oh well, looks like the airlines have 'em as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Tl0opcPnw&NR=1

Just as glad I was OUT of Corporate America before these reward plans really took hold. Besides no one would want ME to be a Travel Services manager, as I hold that if the points are earned from company paid travel, those points should inure to the company. With that regard, I know of a Fortune 500, duPont (NYSE-DD), that once had (and maybe still has) a policy of prohibiting any employee traveling on company dime from claiming any miles/points from that travel.

Finally, of possible interest, the gal who managed the MILW's Travel Services desk during my day held same view, but quite evidently both she and I were overruled by the airlines and lodging concerns.

disclaimer: author is a Member of Amtrak (AGR), Holiday Inn, Hyatt, and Marriott reward plans and have only collected from HI and Marriott.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well guess what; save a family emergency, I will miss out on 2018 United Premier standing by 928 miles.

Absent some year end "special offer", you must "fly your way in" as "buy in" is not an option (buy in works for miles, but not standing. Nor can you buy standing with an affinity credit card).

I suppose if I were a "point chaser", I'd be planning a 1000 mile round trip flight over the Xmas-New Year's week, but I'm not. Of course here, someone will say why not a 1000 mile flight one way and Amtrak the other?

Otherwise, my 24052 United "miles" earned during this year have been donated (not a deduction under IRC 167; you "don't want to open THAT can of worms") to Fisher House (a military welfare charity). Can't Amtrak team up with one charity or the other for AGR? I'd like to find a charitable home for my 18682 points.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, a "bump" in the thread after 8 years! Never a point chaser, myself, Gil - good of you to donate.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page