RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Make-Believe - Part 5

Author Topic: Make-Believe - Part 5
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ophelia ordered an Amfleet Salad and Chicken d'Acela Cordon Bleu. I opted for the P42 strip steak with Sightseer mashed potatoes and Talgo broccoli. We shared a bottle of Merlot F40PH.

Our conversation touched on a thousand different topics. How did the word cartridge originate? Why are the Muslims in the Phillipines called Moros? What are Quaker guns? Why do we have a best man at a wedding? Does the lunula occur on the fingernails of all races? Which is correct, "harebrained" or "hairbrained"? Why are so many companies incorporated in Delaware? Does thunder cause milk to turn sour?

We traded personal info, too, by the time we reached Newark, NJ. It turned out Ophelia was a model. She had gone to DC to pose in clothes tailored for congresswomen. In college, she had studied to be a dental hygienest. Now she worked for a dental practice in downtown Manhattan, modeled part-time, and lived in a high-rise in the village. Between cleaning teeth and modeling she made a pretty good buck. Once, there was a pizza baker/wanna-be rapper named Tony in her life. That was history now.

The train entered the Hudson Tunnels. Passengers began gathering their personal items. It was about seven pm. Within a few minutes we'd arrive in Penn Station. I asked Ophelia if she'd like to meet again while I was in New York City. I intended to stay for a few days of suburban train riding. She said she'd love to and told me to just give her a call. The train came to a stop. We said goodbye.

As I walked up the stairs to the concourse, I wondered, would the man in the fedora be there? When I reached the top of the stairs I took a good look around. There were college students waiting for regional trains. Throngs of commuters headed for the LIRR and NJT platforms. People lined up at the checked baggage counter. Homeless people. Security guards. But there was no sign of the man in the fedora hat.

I went outside and flagged a taxi. "Take me to the Park Plaza Hotel, please", I told the driver. I saw from his license that his name was Vinjay Surimpopakok. "Yes sir, very good sir!" he said with great enthusiasm.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and was he?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice keep writing, you should write fiction books.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David -- I don't know if you are a "Parrothead," but you might enjoy reading some of Jimmy Buffett's novels -- he also writes about a bunch of very strange, unforgettable characters (mostly in Caribbean settings), and does a great job of telling a story about all his strange characters. You should read "Where is Joe Merchant?" or "A Salty Piece of Land"--(both novels made the New York Times Top 10 list)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In line with the previous post, you may also enjoy reading some of Carl Hiaasen's "Florida" novels.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice and support! I did not know Jimmy Buffett is a novelist. He's quite a character himself! Should I keep writing here, or take it under wraps? There is something fun about writing here. I'd like to continue.

Dave

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep going. You can't possibily stop now. You have us all hooked!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again nice story. Seeing everyone likes this, how would you guys like me to post my novel that takes place on a train for almost every minute of it, you guys would probably love it. Thanks.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things are veddy, veddy slow in my office today.

Please entertain me with the next installment!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page