RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Make Believe - Chapter 2/1

Author Topic: Make Believe - Chapter 2/1
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAY TWO

I woke early the next morning and had breakfast in my room. Then it was off to the bank to deposit the money I’d won. I couldn’t after all carry it all across America in a satchel. I would sit down and figure how to invest it later. I thought of my newly empowered Visa debit/credit card with a greater respect. Then I went to Penn Station to ride some NJT trains.

First I rode out to Dover and back. Dover Station is an historic landmark. The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad built it in 1901. Two rail lines serve it. I went there on the Morristown Line and returned on the Montclair-Boonton Line. I got off at Newark – Broad Street and rode the subway to Newark – Penn Station. Then I rode the line out to Bay Head and back. I enjoyed the latter very much. It goes across some long bridges and through picturesque seaside resorts. The train was pulled by a big Alstom PL42AC. When I got to Point Pleasant I took a cab to Allaire State Park, where I rode the Pine Creek train ride. I wanted to ride the ex-Erie Port Jervis Line too, that day, but there wasn’t enough time.

I was kind of in a daydream when the train back from Bay Head rolled into New York - Penn Station. I was looking forward to dinner with Ophelia. Then, blocking my path, emerged three New York City policemen! They instructed me to follow them. I didn’t see that I had much choice. “What’s this about?” I asked. They were silent. We went out onto Eighth Avenue. A large black SUV was parked there. One of the policemen opened the door. Inside, was the man with the man with the fedora hat!

“It’s you!” I exclaimed. “Why have you been following me?” I demanded. “Shut up and sit down!” replied the man in the fedora. I looked at him and then looked at the policemen. Reluctantly, I entered the SUV and sat down. The SUV took off into traffic.

The man spoke. “Your government needs your services, Mr. Sommer.” “Services? I’m just a guy who likes to ride Amtrak trains!” “Precisely.” The man began to explain. He said the Pentagon needed a microchip transported to Vandenbergh Air Force Base. The best way to do so seemed to be to hide it in plain sight. There are many enemies of America right here within our borders, he said. One of them was a man called Mr. Adrian. He would stop at nothing to get the microchip. Mr. Adrian wanted to sell the chip to terrorists. In short, they needed me to bring the chip to Vandenbergh. Who would suspect me of carrying the chip, being an ordinary tourist riding trains in a zig-zag manner across America?

“So what’s in it for me?” I asked. “10 million dollars and a lifelong first class Amtrak pass.” He answered. “But really it’s about patriotism” he added. “Well, I don’t know. My life will be in danger.” “All you have to do is follow your itinerary. When you get to Santa Barbara someone will meet you. No one will suspect you have the chip. The man leaned over. “Hold out your hand.” I did. The man had a small gun-like apparatus in his hand. He grabbed my hand and pulled the trigger. “There!” he said, “The chip is now embedded in your hand. That didn’t hurt, did it?” I looked at my hand. The SUV pulled up at Penn Station again.

“What if I get into trouble?” How can I contact you?” “We’ll be watching you the whole way," answered the man. “Now go. Take your trip as if this encounter never happened.” I opened the SUV door. My heart was racing. My hand smarted. The SUV sped away.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear.....the intrigue!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something tells me Frank in sunny SBA is going to get involved in this tale pretty soon!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep writing, it is getting very good.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, get some ess ee ex into it! There's no good train story without an Eva Marie Saint role in it.

Otherwise -- bravo!

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Somer, Vandenberg AFB vice Vandenbergh
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GBN

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page