RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder Top Permitted Speed?

Author Topic: Empire Builder Top Permitted Speed?
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being too familiar with this train nor the BN/BNSF track regions and speed limits, I'm wondering what the top permitted speed for the Empire Builder is? 79mph?

Also it might be interesting to hear what the limit of other long distance Amtrak trains are.

I know the Southwest Chief is still 90mph. Judging by my user name, I had better know what the Chief's limit is [Wink]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
79 mph
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak and the FRA restrict it at 79 is what I have heard, on Extreme Trains
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief and Surfliner Routes have ATS
{Automic Train Stop Device} which allows speeds of 90 MPH. 79 MPH is the limit without ATS and proper track like what the Empire Builder rides on.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. Figured it was the standard 79.

But I started thinking about the newer Talgo trains and if the track improvements made for them helped the Empire's speed. If they even use the same trackage.

The ATS system installed by the Santa Fe is interesting technical stuff to research. I'm adding wayside inductors and ATS shoes on my HO scale Santa Fe layout. Of course it's non functioning ATS. However I bet I could figure out a way to simulate an operating ATS system with DCC.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amtrak92:
Amtrak and the FRA restrict it at 79 is what I have heard, on Extreme Trains

The requirement was put in place in 1947 or thereabouts by the Interstate Commerce Commission as a safety requirement. AFter the ICC was discontinued (Really! a governmetn agency that ceased to exist) many of its rules were taken on by the Federal Railroad Administration. Here is the quote. The reference is 49CFR236.

quote:
§ 236.0 Applicability, minimum requirements, and penalties.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to all railroads.

(b) This part does not apply to—
(1) A railroad that operates only on track inside an installation that is not part of the general railroad system of transportation; or
(2) Rapid transit operations in an urban area that are not connected to the general railroad system of transportation.

(c) Where a passenger train is operated at a speed of 60 or more miles per hour, or a freight train is operated at a speed of 50 or more miles per hour, a block signal system complying with the provisions of this part shall be installed or a manual block system shall be placed permanently in effect which shall conform to the following conditions:
(1) A passenger train shall not be admitted to a block occupied by another train except under flag protection;
(2) No train shall be admitted to a block occupied by a passenger train except under flag protection;
(3) No train shall be admitted to a block occupied by an opposing train except under flag protection; and
(4) A freight train, including a work train, may be authorized to follow a freight train, including a work train, into a block but the following train must proceed prepared to stop within one-half the range of vision but not exceeding 20 miles per hour.

(d) Where any train is operated at a speed of 80 or more miles per hour, an automatic cab signal, automatic train stop or automatic train control system complying with the provisions of this
part shall be installed.

(e) Nothing in this section authorizes the discontinuance of a block signal system, interlocking, traffic control system, automatic train stop, train control, or cab signal system without approval of the Federal Railroad Administration.

(f) Any person (an entity of any type covered under 1 U.S.C. 1, including but not limited to the following: a railroad; a manager, supervisor, official, or other employee or agent of a railroad; any owner, manufacturer, lessor, or lessee of railroad equipment, track, or facilities; any independent contractor providing goods or services to a railroad; and any employee of such owner, manufacturer, lessor, lessee, or independent contractor) who violates any requirement of this part or causes the violation of any such requirement is subject to a civil penalty of at least $550 and not more than $11,000 per violation, except that: Penalties may be assessed against individuals only for willful violations, and, where a grossly negligent violation or a pattern of repeated violations has created an imminent hazard of death or injury to persons, or has caused death or injury, a penalty not to exceed $27,000 per violation may be assessed. Each day a violation continues shall constitute a separate offense. See appendix A to this part for a statement of agency civil penalty policy.

Notice d. The law says "80 mph or faster", so without the appropriate devices you cannot set a speed limit of 80 mph, but you can use anything less, so . . . 79 mph.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page