RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NewYork 's future new station

Author Topic: NewYork 's future new station
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the deal holds true this time. Well it is the Old Post Office building and the proposal has been on and off. As posted on Trainweb today, Bloomberg News reports that Amtrak has agreed to move to the Farley Post Office Building which will be renamed Moynihan Station. Cheers to New York City. There will also be a new Madison Square Garden Arena. Funny....I still regard this "old" arena as the new one. Sadly that ugly structure replaced the grand old Pennsylvania Station. Real estate shenanigans took precedent over city landmarks at the time.
...and shenanigans are still goin' on.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the Future. Or, rather, Forward to the Past. Penn Station was once a glorious Beaux Arts Building. It was torn down in a disgraceful episode that helped spur the building preservation movement and save Grand Central Station (Jackie Kennedy was among those involved in that). NOW, Penn Station will revert to being a Beaux Arts Building again! Yay!!!

I have nothing against calling it for Moynihan TOO but I hope they still mainly call it Penn Station. I mean, tradition is tradition. And the Post Office already was named for Farley too. He was some sort of Boss Tweed type (well, maybe not THAT bad), and Postmaster General of NY. They call the tracks there the Farley Corridor too, don't they?

Now if only other cities would wise up about their stations. (Salt Lake City, this means you!!!) Plus, no more stations in the Burbs (Savannah, Charleston, Jacksonville, & esp Richmond, use Main Street!!!) And no more having a nice station but shoving the Amtrak part into some seedy corner (Indianapolis, and to a lesser degree, Pittsburgh). . . . Well, one can dream . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20th Century is right. shenanigans are still going on, and this boondoogle is an outstanding example. Raise the hood and look at the details. It is more facade than substance in every sense of the word.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner I agree with you completely. Another bad station to go to is Charlotte. It is in a really bad ghetto. I wouldn't leave my car there, for a day trip. It is sad that Amtrak gets the worst locations for stations. Railroads go thru the main areas of towns and they don't use the old stations.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another station indignity is where Amtrak is in a building adjacent to the old station - as in Grand Junction, CO or Rouses Point, NY.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume the switch to the P.O. from the Madison Square Garden location would NOT involve relocating any of the massive underground trackage in NYC, right? The route from the new station down to the tracks would just be different, right? And the ticket agents, concessions, lounges, Acela Lounge, etc., would just be in a different building than they are now, I assume?

Will the LIRR and NJT also be moved to new location? (Metro-North operates everything out of Grand Central, right?)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, RRRich, the tracks are under all of it; this is just a different access area--through the very attractive old post office building on the other side of 8th Av. NJT is moving to the new location; in fact, they had said they woul--it was Amtrak that was holding things up.

I don't believe the LIRR is moving into this building; although maybe they would move to the old Amtrak or NJ Transit space, I really don't know details about that. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Harris,the shenanigans I suspect are to get a new Madison Sq.Garden and some other building projects to happen. If you know any "hidden" details I would be interested. I think NJ Transit and Amtrak will utilize the converted post office building. Also I have read somewhere that platforms extend under the post office building where mail cars used to be loaded. You can contact the reporter. There is a link in the article which can be found at the top of the Trainweb page under "What's new at Trainweb".
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any word on what the "new" Madison Square Garden is going to be like? The current one was one of the few projects my father worked on that he wasn't very proud of. He was always proud of the Transamerica building (after it finally found a site and buyer in San Francisco) and the Theme Building at LAX. And the runways on Saipan during WWII.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Another station indignity is where Amtrak is in a building adjacent to the old station - as in Grand Junction, CO or Rouses Point, NY.

Or St. Louis!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amtrak92:
sojourner I agree with you completely. Another bad station to go to is Charlotte. It is in a really bad ghetto. I wouldn't leave my car there, for a day trip. It is sad that Amtrak gets the worst locations for stations. Railroads go thru the main areas of towns and they don't use the old stations.

NCDOT has had a plan in place for several years to build a new Charlotte station downtown. It just needs money. You could probably build quite a few of these for less than the cost of the Moynihan Boondoogle.

There has been quite a bit written elsewhere that gives considerable detail of how the station in the Farley building will reduce patron convenience in a number of ways. Looks impressive does not equal useful.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page