RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » America's Best Idea (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: America's Best Idea
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken Burns has a new documentary that starts this Sunday 8pm on PBS called 'The National Parks: America's Best Idea'. I am sure it is well worth the investment of your time to see the beauty that America is through this brilliant work. Maybe your next Amtrak excursion can include a side stop at one or more of these parks.
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amongst the "majors", Glacier certainly is on the top of the pile for rail accessibility, but Grand Canyon is not far behind. Yosemite is "in the running" as well. But alas, Yellowstone hasn't been since the Northern Pacific last had a passenger train, North Coast Hiawatha, during 1979.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glacier, and the Grand Canyon are by far the best to reach by rail. It is a shame they had to discontinue the North Coast Hiawatha.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/

Extended version:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#33026342

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads-up on this documentary. Ken Burns' productions are always worth watching, not least because they draw so much on oral history.

Glacier Park is splendid. I've taken my family there three times, all on the Builder, and my wife and I have stopped at the Izaak Walton Inn three times as well. We're thinking about taking our sons and their children to Glacier in a couple of years.

We did Grand Canyon a few years ago, getting there via the SW Chief and the GCRR. It made for a great short (two day) stay.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We traveled from L.A. to Sequoia National Park a few weeks ago -- Amtrak bus to Bakersfield, followed by the San Joaquin to Hanford, followed by another Amtrak bus to Visalia (from there, we took the Visalia/NPS shuttle bus to the park).

Several years ago, we used Amtrak to take a trip to the absolutely amazing Yosemite too. Definitely one of the most spectacular places on Planet Earth. Highly recommended.

---------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
"Adequately favorable" review appearing in this past Friday's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/25/arts/television/25parks.html

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I watched the first installment last evening. It addressed Yosemite and Yellowstone. Since the Northern Pacific, to say the least, "lobbied" to have Yellowstone become a Park, there were "stills" of NP trains.

Indeed, Mr. Burns, is likely the most accomplished documentary film artist to have ever walked this planet. Michael Moore, grow up.

I'll be out of town next Friday (Greenwich; far away from here as either way with the Olympics, the "town's gonna get trashed") who knows after Dinner with friends, I'll catch it at the hotel (WTTW -Chi PBS- runs an "encore'; can't be sure what WNET -NY PBS- does)

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bit disappointed in the opener -- a few too many sentimental references to the spirituality of nature, accompanied by wide-angle shots of the same lordly peaks and majestic waterfalls. But I loved that endearing nutball John Muir and the pointed references to unbridled private enterprise. Here's hoping next week's installment doesn't feel like a 60-minute episode stretched into two hours.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If you have HDTV, the experience is indeed "enhanced".

It will be quite interesting to learn how that 20K' mountain peak in Alaska is addressed - Denali or McKinley. I always thought it was Mr. McKinley in Denali National Park, but I believe I saw a recent reference to such as Mr. Denali.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

The Wikipedia entry on Mt. McKinley has an interesting passage on the controversy over its name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_McKinley

I have HDTV, too, and the viewing experience was first-rate, aside from the repetition. (But a tiger can't change its spots.)

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, the next episode is tonight. It runs every night this week. Also will be repeated on the weekend in larger chunks.

Sounds like you are really on the mend. See your posts but no Twitters lately?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the show last night. But one point made in the NYT review is well-taken: there are few people in the show. I find the history interesting, and the views spectacular, but every time I've visited in the summer months, the traffic, both vehicular and foot is overwhelming. Both the Grand Canyon and Glacier are on my list to visit by train. We used to go to Yellowstone every other year when young; we'd find great amusement in stopping our car, pointing out at nothing for a bit, then leaving just as whole crowds would stop to look for the "wildlife" we had seen.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught bits and pieces of last night's documentary during the lengthy commercial breaks in the sophmoric movie I was watching on an adjacent channel. What I saw was fine but I didn't want to get sucked into something that's going to be running all week.

For the interested; one of the lines from said movie on the adjacent channel was -

"strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

Anyone know from that what I was watching?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears that Comcast On-Demand will be offering the National Parks episodes, but not (as of yet) in HD.
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's just something mesmerizing about the two episodes I have seen so far. The staggering amount of history laced with incredible black and white pictures and dramatic color vistas keeps me watching. I am DVR'ing it so I can watch it again later. Sucked into it? Darn right. [Smile]
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

For the interested; one of the lines from said movie on the adjacent channel was -

You were watching 1989's "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", but I don't know on which channel. One of my son's favorite movies.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I fell asleep halfway through last nights installment. But as I noted earlier, Comcast On-Demand is offering same. For one who "hits the rack' at about 9PM, these are "a bit of a slog'.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

You were watching 1989's "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", but I don't know on which channel. One of my son's favorite movies.
You are correct!

Having spent the bulk of my professional career (less three years as an Army trumpet player) working with teen-agers, Bill & Ted still make me howl.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm sorry to report that "I've given up" on Mr. Burns material.

Not that it is anything other than quality material, it is simply aired too darned late for a fellow whose bedtime is 830-9PM. It seems that the local PBS outlet WTTW never airs anything of value prior to 8PM CT as they appear committed to airing McNeal/Leher at 6 followed by Chicago Tonight at 7; even "the begathons' adhere to that schedule.

I've learned things I've never knew; first that some portion of Yosemite was damed to become a reservoir and the extent that railroads, in the interest of promoting PASSENGER traffic, were involved in the political lobby.

But negatively, I'd swear I can hear that hymn, "Jerusalem...what God grants I may see" (it's in the Episcopal hymnal FWIW - and our Rector seemed to like it) in my sleep!!!

http://www.blc.edu/comm/gargy/gargy1/ELH.Hymn.info.JKL.html

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

GBN, I hear you! (So to speak.) I'm also the kind of geezer who hits the hay early, and so I'm DVRing all of the Burns episodes to watch earlier in the day when I've got more energy.

My wife, however, said the second two episodes were livelier than the first and kept her rapt all the way through. She also felt the first episode dragged some, so perhaps that gives hope for the rest. The project is a noble one and I sure hope it reaches a wide audience.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As you likely know, Mr. Kisor, the WTTW offerings available with Comcast On Demand are quite limited. They are offering the National Parks, but only in "low def' and for very limited periods (obviously the rights holder has "visions of lucrative DVD sales dancing in their heads" - Xmas is a comin' and not too many merchants are gettin' fat).

What with my ankle injury (it getting better but its gonna take time - that's what Doc said; and I think she is right), the (fly and rent) trip to Virginia on which it happened two weeks ago, hobbling in to town for my hook up with Mr. Palmland and Miss Mary, a carpenter doing work at my house, the upcoming trip this weekend to Greenwich (also fly and rent) for a family wedding that is actually in Brooklyn, I am three days behind in reading my Times and Journal; something's gotta give.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

There's a great shot of "Uncle Gil" on that wedding site. Wish I looked as avuncular.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
LOVED tonight's segment on the Great Smokey Mountains......complete with a segment on logging activities with twisting mountain railroads with tiny steam locomotives.

One of my friends, also a teacher in the school system where I work, is a huge fan and collector of firsthand accounts of the logging railroads which once existed throughout the Southern Appalachians. He, like most of us, loves the Great Smokies National Park although he is descended from the owner of one of the timber companies which tried their best to strip the Smokies bare before it's National Park designation.

Great stuff.

--------------------
David Pressley

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,

That is a good photo of our Uncle Gil. I believe, if memory serves, that Barbara Bankson is Gil's sister. GBN needs to stay off that ankle, so maybe not too much dancing at the reception? A couple of glasses of wine always helps!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
I've joined the DVR crowd since I'm on a stretch of 7-16hr shifts at work. Will watch them all in a row my next Sunday off. I am sure they will all be incredible!

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

This thread -- and watching the DVRed second episode of the Burns epic yesterday afternoon -- has me hankering to visit the Big Bend National Park on the Rio Grande in Texas. I've heard a lot about it, all good, from fellow writers.

From the maps it looks as if we could take the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Alpine, Texas, about 60 miles north of Big Bend, and then rent a car for the rest of the trip.

Anybody done this one yet?

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, I went to Big Bend for purposes of birding. Did not take the train though.

The park is immense with miles and miles of not much. All the action, at least birdwise, is at the southern end near the border and the river. It was not my favorite place.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Vicki, why wasn't Big Bend your favorite place? Too much sand and rocks? Loneliness and isolation?

I costed out a trip in March from Chicago -- it'd be two nights and 48 hours each way, and I am not sure a roomette on the Texas Eagle is worth $1200 RT for two. It'd be a lot cheaper to use airline miles to fly to San Antonio and then take coach on the Eagle from San Antonio to Alpine.

In any case my wife does not seem eager to go to that part of Texas. To paraphrase GBN, if you've seen one cactus you've seen 'em all. But I love the isolation of the desert . . .

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think Alpine has a car rental anymore. They used to have a $40 a day rental PLUS 29 cents a mile. Outrageous rates! Big Bend is 110 miles one way from Alpine.

If you go, be sure to visit Chisos Mountains campgrounds. The High Desert is very scenic and the lava mountains are worth a bunch of pictures, too.

I have land in Terlingua Ranch, giving me a reason to get out there 2-3 times a year.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

There are two auto rental places in Alpine, or so Googling indicates. One offers small Chevys for $36 a day plus 10 cents a mile.

I'm not familiar with car rental policies in that part of the country, but wonder if the per-mile charge (most cars I've rented in the big cities come with unlimited mileage) is because of the huge distances between localities in south Texas. Or maybe because there's little competition.

It's 93.44 miles from Alpine to the center of Big Bend National Park, according to MapQuest. At 10 cents a mile round trip that sure does add up.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a phone call before you go.

And I think 10 cents was the price, not 29 cents. However, you may be able to negotiate the first 100 miles a day free.

The Big Bend visitor's center is 110 miles from Alpine.

And it is worth the trip to Marfa to see the lights.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
93.44 miles one-way X 2 = 186.88 miles round trip

186.88 miles X $0.10/mile = $18.69

Sounds reasonable to me...........

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
I do not think Alpine has a car rental anymore. They used to have a $40 a day rental PLUS 29 cents a mile. Outrageous rates!

Mr. Smith, rental autos "ain't cheap no more". At one time, the various automakers , shall we say, subsidized the auto rental concerns figuring that it was good advertising to get spanking new product out in the hands of a clientele that "buys new cars'. However, the automakers scrapped that business model and to my knowledge the auto rental concerns now pay a fleet price similar to any concern buying a like number of vehicles would pay, i.e. still more than UENI.

I can recall renting autos in Florida maybe five years ago, for $129 a week unlimited mileage ($99 a week ten years ago), albeit from off airport outlets. Only add on was tax and gas (and fortitude to ward off the hard sell for unneeded insurances).

My three rental auto experiences so far this year (all from Hertz airport locations; unlimited mileage) are Feb KPBI (Nissan Sentra) 4 days $569.30, Sep KRIC (Toyota Camry) 2 days $98.33, and Oct KHPN (projected starting later today: edit Chevy Impala) 3 days $346.83. All these include taxes and the various add-ons such as 'concession recoupment fee". But, absent having my own auto, renting an auto at destination is simply a "knee-jerk' as it is with most anyone I know.

"Grin 'n bear it"; also "pony up".

A final Amtrak related thought, the whopper increase in Florida auto rental rates certainly makes Auto Train more financially attractive.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
West Texas. You can't even get a radio station on the regular car radio. Not even in Spanish.

I'll take the California desert thanks.

--------------------

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

RRRich, thanks! I misplaced the decimal point badly.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

This Ken Burns epic has me trying to figure out where the Mrs. and I might go on the train to visit national parks.

We've done Glacier three times, Yellowstone once, Yosemite once and the Grand Canyon once. So those are out.

Hmmm . . . what about the Arches and Canyonlands in Utah? Looks like they're within a couple hours' rental car drive from Green River, Utah, a stop on Nos. 5/6. Anyone done this?

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We "did"Arches and Canyonlands on a trip west. We did drive the entire trip but I can tell you we stayed several days in Moab and struck out from there. the tourist info from Moab was excellent. I suggest you also stop at Dead Horsepoint for some magnificant scenery and if you go to Canyonlands take food and water. Unless things have changed there is none there.
Another park you might consider if you haven't been there and want to drive is Theodore Roosevelt in N. Dakota. Super!! I don't know what train arrangements would be unless you take the Builder to the closest town in ND and drive from there. All my travel logs are packed for moving so my help is curtailed but the National Park Service web site is very good.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, addenda..Medora is the town close to the park and has a number of motels and restaurants. They always closed on Labor Day but I don't know when they reopen
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
addenda to the addenda.. I think Williston may be the closest town the builder goes to in ND
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page