RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Let's just say

Author Topic: Let's just say
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's just say America had high speed lines similar to the Bullet train or the TGV. How long would it take to go from NY to LA? NY to FL? NY to CHI? The Shinkansen Nozomi, Japan's fastest train, makes the 634 mile trip from Tokyo to Fukuoka in about 5 hours.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is, will the scenery be as scenic to see if the trains go so fast???
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd hazard a guess that, depending on routing, NYC - CHI would be 6 hours.....maybe 7., NYC-MIA in maybe 10-11 hours. Won't even hazard a guess on NYC-LAX as it would not be a same day trip.

Scenery? It's still possible to take in the scenery without discomfort in the neighborhood of 135 to 150mph on the three 'high speed' trains I have experienced firsthand. Those would be Amtrak's Acela and then the Swedish X2000 and the German ICE which both tested on the Northeast Corridor when I was in graduate school at Maryland in the early 1990's.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took Eurostar from London to Paris, the scenery was beautiful and the speed did not detract from the views. But one thing that scared the bejeezus out of me was when I was staring out the window and we suddenly passed another Eurostar going in the opposite direction. The "whoosh" and the speed are incredible at that point.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it doesn't last long....

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

I get your point which you make here and on the thread about Indian trains. I've travelled on the TGV and as long as the scenery isn't too close, the speed is not a factor. So, for example, if the Empire Builder is speeding through eastern Montana or North Dakota, you might not miss much. On the other hand, maybe the Capitol Limited route is better appreciated at a slower pace.

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember taking the TGV from Paris to Geneva and the speed was not an issue when it came to 'taking away' from the beauty of the scenery. And man, what a ride.
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the TGV to Geneva travels at high speeds only as far as Dijon. The rest of the journey is on the old line. I don't suppose there'll ever be high-speed long distance trains here.

--------------------

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
IIRC the TGV to Geneva travels at high speeds only as far as Dijon. The rest of the journey is on the old line. I don't suppose there'll ever be high-speed long distance trains here.

About 165 of the 250 miles then? Better to have experienced the TGV at high speeds even for that short a distance than to have never experienced it at all. I'm glad I got the opportunity.
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF the rate of advance averaged 120MPH, a

1000 mile journey would be 8 hours, 20 minutes

2000 mile journey would be 16 hours, 40 minutes

3000 mile journey would be 26 hours.

Now, factor in to that rate of advance a 20 minute station stop every 200 miles

1000 mile journey increases to 10 hours

2000 mile jouney increases to 20 hours

3000 mile journey increases to 30 hours.

Note the term average rate of advance. It's not the peak speed that matters in transportation; it's the distance from A-B divided by the time taken to get there.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank dns8560 I often thought of starting a thread like this, especially for New York - Chicago, And New York - Atlanta, or Montreal.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Thanks for those timings, Pullman. Does freight use the Chunnel and TGV lines?

--------------------

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think freight runs thru the chunnel at night. I saw a show once about a freight train fire in the tunnel once so I think it does.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
Thanks for those timings, Pullman. Does freight use the Chunnel and TGV lines?

Chunnel, Yes.
TGV lines: No.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page