RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Urgent help req'd - journey to Mansfield MA/Providence RI

Author Topic: Urgent help req'd - journey to Mansfield MA/Providence RI
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my colleagues has to do a business trip to the States in the next couple of weeks and I immediately put him straight on his original idea of trying to fly between NYC, Boston and Philly!

However, he has to go to a place called Mansfield which appears to be just over the border from RI into MA. Whilst a rail line appears to go right through it I can't find any Amtrak station between Providence and "Route 128", whereever that is. Is there any local/commuter service or is Providence the nearest station? Presumably it's a fairly big place so he'd have no trouble getting a taxi(and certainly easier than a taxi from Logan!)?

thanks in advance

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mansfield is served by the Boston mass transit agency, the MBTA.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

Auto rentals are available through both Providence and Route 128 stations, should your colleague wish to do without dealing with a local commuter agency and/or otherwise want/need his own ride. But I certainly respect if he is not comfortable with "driving on the wrong side of the road'.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the schedule for trains from South Station to Providence (stopping in Mansfield):

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=PROVSTOU

Easist thing would be to take the Silver Line bus from Logan to South Station, then the train to Mansfield. From there, your colleague can either taxi or have someone pick him up.

From Mansfield, MA it's easist to go to Providence to pick up an Acela Express for New York, and then he can go on to PHL. He can return to the UK (I assume) from PHL. We have several daily flights to both Heathrow and Gatwick.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks - looks as if he's going to be cancelling his flight! He'll be coming up from NYC first thing in the morning so an early Acela to Providence will do fine. Co-incidentally, several colleagues had to do a similar route about five years ago and found it much better than the airlines.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell him to sit on the right side facing forward from NYC to Providence for the best views of the LI Sound (mostly after New Haven until into RI); however, from when he leaves NYC until he gets into the Bronx, he will see some fine views of the city on the left side (he can go into the lounge or change seats to see it best)--also nice crossing the Hellgate Bridge.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page