RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Using AGR points

Author Topic: Using AGR points
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have enough points for a one region rommette. Question: Could I get a rommette from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale,on the Capital Limited and the Silver Service to Florida,or is it only good for one train. On the other side of the country,for example could I get a rommette from Denver to San Francisco on the Zephyr,and then another rommette on the Starlight to Seattle or LA?

I 'd like to maximize my AGR's as much as possible. Anybody know?

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love those typos..roomette,of course

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is to pretend you are making a regular reservation on Amtrak's website, enter your departure & destination cities and see what routings they give you. Generally if a routing comes up on the website, you can use AGR points for that trip.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is a loophole -

You could, fer-instance, travel Denver-Chicago-Washington-Atlanta in roommette for 15,000.

That's three trains, three nights....lots of Flat Iron Pot Roast Steak..... for a mere 15,000 points.

That's because Atlanta and Denver, while border cities, are both in the Central Region......even though the routing that comes up on the computer sends you through the eastern region to get there.

Judy's advice to try plugging it into the Amtrak website online before you call is very good. I always do that to start with when I'm planning a trip using Guest Reward Points.

Finally, I believe that yes, you could go Cleveland to Miami for the one charge of 15,000 points so long as you schedule yourself on the first train allowed out from DC southward.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the routing has to be "the most direct" routing available. We wanted to use AGR points from Seattle to LA, but change to the San Joaquin in Sacramento (It was when the Starlight had earned the name "Starlate") and AGR would not let us do that since the Starlight also went to LA and was "the most direct."

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page