RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Phillies Take the Train

Author Topic: Phillies Take the Train
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I embarressed by my favorite Newspaper for the juvinial text of this article in The New York Post at.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/their_fans_are_second_rate_so_is_mnrbqD4sqsEKH10TfB3k6H

There is a video clip from the Philly TV station which is much better.

It notes the 2nd class way the Phillies arrived in New York, Via Amtrak. I noted that while the Phillies departed from the classic 30th Street Station, they arrived at the 2nd rate Penn Station facility.

There is a better article in the NY Times about the Phillies reasoning for taking the train. As well as a mention about the team taking trains in 1950 the only time the teams played in the Series. Also mentioned how other teams and leagues use the trains in the NEC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sports/baseball/27phillies.html?_r=1

Amtrak advertises alot on both stadium and arena billboards as well as the teams radio broadcasts the teams should use the train more then they do.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, Tanner. Growing up in Delaware, the Phillies were my team. I well remember stories from my father about the 1950 Whiz Kids (the ace reliever, in a desperation move, started game 4. The Phils lost 4 straight). Now for revenge.

The Whiz Kids later became us Wuz Kids then Futile Phils.

Glad to see they're taking the train. As I've noted before, baseball specials were a regular occurrence on PRR from Wilmington to Phia.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a great thing their using the train. Thanks for the link
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
palmland, I'm old enough to remember the 1950 World Series, which the Yankees won in 4 straight from the Phils. I was a young Dodger fan, and the Phils won the pennant on the last day of the season that year, disappointing me and the Dodgers. The reliever you are thinking of was Jim Konstanty, a "closer" before the term was even thought of, but he started game one, not game four. The game four matchup was Whitey Ford, a rookie, vs. Bob Miller.

Now, on to Amtrak and baseball! Wonder if the Yanks and Phils will both use Amtrak for game three.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teams here in the North East sometimes make use of Amtrak (Acela) when playing teams also located on the Northeast Corridor. There have been occasional newspaper articles that mention it. Also the on air broadcasters will sometimes mention the fact. Do not know how frequently it happens but recall a tv station in Boston doing a feature on it. Looked like regualar Acela cars. (Darn nice spread Amtrak put out for them --- Not a Sunflower seed in sight.)
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeeCT:
Teams here in the North East sometimes make use of Amtrak (Acela) when playing teams also located on the Northeast Corridor. There have been occasional newspaper articles that mention it. Also the on air broadcasters will sometimes mention the fact. Do not know how frequently it happens but recall a tv station in Boston doing a feature on it. Looked like regualar Acela cars. (Darn nice spread Amtrak put out for them --- Not a Sunflower seed in sight.)

Phillies will have a fair chance of arriving rested, uncramped, and unexposed to the flu infected ventilation system of an aircraft; and hopefully without a cockpit debate over which team should win as the airliner overshoots the airport and lands in Red Sox territory.
Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the material located by Mr. Tanner, Times Sports columnist Dave Anderson has unveiled the term "The Amtrak Series":

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sports/baseball/27anderson.html

Brief passage:

• If the natural nickname for this rare Yankees-Phillies pairing is the Amtrak World Series, consider that when these two teams met in October for the only other time, in 1950, Amtrak didn’t even exist. Trains connecting New York and Philadelphia that year rolled along the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks, more than two decades before Amtrak was Amtrak
I guess Amtrak's "Spin Physician" Cliff Black did get to the ear of someone at The Times as Tuesday's Print Edition has a large headline in the Sports section proclaiming "The Amtrak Series".
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GBN - that was a great article. Hearing the names Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn really take me back. Go Phillies!
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember in the 80s when the phillies and orioles played in the series gary mathews of the phillies dubbed it the amtrak series. good publicity.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yankees are now in a "must win" for tonight; otherwise this could well become 1950 revenge.

But if this Series is to be delayed account bad weather, which anyone must concede is a distinct possibility, and baseball 'that really REALLY counts' (as distinct from April games that often are "snowed out" and there is a whole season ahead during which they can be made up) is now to be played during November, MLB may have to consider playing the Series in a warm weather "neutral' venue.

The above especially the case since indoor playing fields seem to be going the way of..(uh)..Amtrak Observation Cars.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious as to what impact the new Minnesota Twins stadium will have next season.

Baseball outdoors in Minneapolis sounds ideal in August. In April? - Not so much.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And suddenly Joe Girardi is managing his pitching staff like he's Gene Mauch in '64.

To notelvis, it will be cold. I hope one year the Twins will play the Chicago Cubs or the Colorado Rockies just so MLB will be forced to move the games either to Arizona, and Milwaukee (indoor stadium).

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner -

Neutral site playoff games will never happen. No way is any team ownership going to give up the profits from the games (gate, concessions, souvenirs etc).
I do think one day you will see a return of weekend double headers although with separate gates. 1st game at 1 p.m. - second at 7 p.m. (Perhaps a snow/ sleet delayed world series may provide the impetus). That could shorten the season (date-wise) and allow a mid October World Series.

Both you and I live in CT, home to two intense fan bases. Can you imagine either Yankee or Red Sox fans being told they have to travel to AZ or a Domed stadium for a possible 7 game series. The Sports Talk stations would be in a non-stop uproar.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with DeeCT; something has to be done, and the idea of lots more day-night doubleheaders sounds like a good one. I also think they need to revamp the current playoff system somehow.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh well, I guess Amtrak got their "return engagement" even if it was only one game. However, I guess the "undisclosed" hotel got some cancellation charges out of the Phillies (I guess the travel websites have some dirt cheap rooms at such hotel tonight).

Otherwise, congratualtions Yankees, but then money talks and there are no salary caps in MLB.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
One way to shorten the season: eliminate the Divisional playoffs. Have each league with only two divisions rather than three. Then the winner of each division meets in the League championship series. The best team over 164 games, rather than five or seven, should determine who is in the League Champion.

And of course, if you go back to the early 50's there is no team west of St. louis or south of Cincinnati. So all teams are an overnight Amtrak trip.

As for the Phillies: Wait 'til next year.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland; St Louis (38°38'N; 90°21'W) West AND South vice Cincinnati (39°08'N; 84°30'W) West.

While it remains possible to get between any city that had MLB during 1950 on Amtrak trains (and I think, other than Arizona Cardinals - Phoenix area, still the case today) with existing levels of service, it would simply be unreasonable and impractical to do so.

But then, so would be having MLB confined only to the country's NE Quadrant (lest we forget that 8 of the then 16 teams were within the NEC v. 6 of 30 today).

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
One way to shorten the season: eliminate the Divisional playoffs. Have each league with only two divisions rather than three. Then the winner of each division meets in the League championship series. The best team over 164 games, rather than five or seven, should determine who is in the League Champion.

But surely you know that this is not only unlikely to happen, it also goes in the exact opposite direction of where baseball is headed. If anything, there has been talk of adding two more wild card teams, if only they can figure out how to do so without incurring more November weather delays. Baseball added the division series in the mid-nineties and it has proven quite popular in ratings and revenue, so it will not be fading.

I do not think it possible to have fewer divisions with this many teams, because by mid-season too many teams will have been mathematically eliminated from contention. When baseball began expanding in the sixties, the number of teams made two, and later three, divisions in each league necessary to keep more than a few teams in contention. I expect that the division series will move to from best-of-five to best-of-seven, just as the league championship series did in the mid-eighties.

quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
As for the Phillies: Wait 'til next year.

Having been a lifelong Bronx Bomber, I can only chuckle. [Wink]
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
I agree I hate the Wild Card nonsense. 2 divisions best of 5 on to the series.
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second that Tanner
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page