RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Crescent Report

Author Topic: Crescent Report
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just took round trip. Had not been on since Katrina hit.
Things I noticed:
No more TVs in sleeper..attendant told me they took out long ago...tried a rental thing...did not work out. I had brought my own DVD player so no biggie.
Food was miserable...fellow diner told me they fired chefs and now just microwave stuff. Served on plastic..same guy told me they fired dishwashers too.
Diner on way from New Orleans....ok. Felt like I was really getting in the way of some of the male diner attendants and their baseball chats. Diner on way from NY to NOL was much better...much nicer two ladies attending. Had William as car attendant and he was so nice and helpful. Only soup available in snack cafe was cup of noodles ( gag).
Red Caps and staff in NOL very nice.
Train was always on time.
Driver from NY was much more aggressive driver than on the way up.
All in all....excellent. I really realized how much I missed the train. I don't want my ride to end!

--------------------
I am in no hurry, so I take the train.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Kaz, a few points on your travelogue.

First, I note and respect that you have never represented to the Forum any kind of knowledge regarding Amtrak or railroad industry affairs, but with that being said, you have just as much right to be here as, say, do I who spent eleven years of my working life in the railroad industry or Mr. Resor who has spent his entire career either within or on the periphery of such.

To address the removal of any in-room Audio-Visual systems, Amtrak recognized that anyone who wants such entertainment en-route simply does as you did - bring it themselves. During 1996, when the existing Sleeping Cars assigned to the Crescent were placed in service, laptop computers that supported DVD's and rental services such as NetFlix simply "weren't". Incidentally, airlines of late have greatly curtailed the scope of in-flight entertainment offered.

Regarding the quality of on-board service, it appears you experienced both sides of the spectrum. As many others here have noted, it can be very good, with the crew putting forth a 'from the heart' desire to serve their passengers, or it can be of the "that's not my job' varietal as you apparently experienced on your outward #20 trip.

Overall, while I hardly have the Amtrak mileage that many do here and even though I only ride Amtrak when 1) I have somewhere to go (OK save that joyride I did during 2008) and 2) the schedules are convenient to my needs (something that has greatly diminished since the schedule for #48, Lake Shore, has changed), I have ridden consistently throughout Amtrak's 39 year existence, and I have an overall rating of "more positives than negatives'. Not a resounding endorsement, but recognition of a perfectly acceptable means to get around (BTW, I'm "not afraid' to fly and I enjoy the feeling of being "the Master of my fate, the Captain of my soul' inherent with a long auto journey).

Regarding the quality of the food served on board any Amtrak train, it of course "ain't what it used to be'. While some items are microwaved, not all are. For example, eggs any style are prepared to order; so is the steak. Desserts? even some "fancy schmantzy" restaurants I know buy those already prepared.

No question whatever, Dining car staff has been greatly reduced. Amtrak staffing on a single level Diner is now Chef, Assistant, Waiter (LSA) responsible for the cash transactions, and Waiter. I can recall railroad-era Diners with staff of ten instead of Amtrak's four. But this staff reduction had to be done as normally "friend of Amtrak' Congress (as distinct from "not always friendly' President) was directing it be done. Such is known as the Simplified Dining Service initiative (sometimes called Diner Lite is railfan circles).

I can only interpret your "Driver from NY was much more aggressive driver than on the way up" as your returning train #19 appeared to move over the road more expediently than did your outward train #20. If you formulated this impression based upon the travel between Wash and NY, it is simply that your train is scheduled for 5 hours where most other trains are scheduled for 3.5 (Acela 2'45"). If as you noted your trains were on time all the way, there was simply no reason to 'shovel on the coal'; you likely observed other trains "running around' yours especially during your station stop at Phila.

But all told, glad you enjoyed and thanks for sharing with the forum.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One slight correction to GBN's excellent summary of the way things are... Just 3 person crew on #19/20 in Diner, no asst. in kitchen.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One note on the food...it is not microwaved (at least, it's not supposed to be). It is pre-cooked/catered off-train, and it is supposed to be re-heated in a convection oven on-board the train. I know that some employees "cheat" and nuke things that shouldn't be, but for the most part, they are not nuked. (But there are certain menu items, as GBN pointed out, which are cooked to order). And I still say, "Bring back the turtle pie for dessert!!" [Smile]

And the chefs were not fired, but the dishwashers were. I don't know if "fired" is the correct railroad/union term, but yes, the people who washed the dishes are no longer on the train. I'd be curious to see if this actually saved any money (which was Amtrak's reason for eliminating that position, due to Federal mandate to reduce costs). They go through a HUGE amount of disposable dishes, so I dunno......

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Incidentally, airlines of late have greatly curtained the scope of in-flight entertainment offered.

Mr. Norman--

You need to chose your airlines and/or aircraft more carefully! In my experience airlines are adding more choices of in-flight entertainment rather than the other way around. AVOD (Audio-Visual On Demand) systems with individual screens in all cabins are becoming the industry standard. Domestically a number of airlines, including the Houston based one that supplies a large part of this household's income, are adding DirectTV to their domestic fleet.

Internet access and, dare I say it, cell-phone connectivity are not far behind. I'd rather that the latter didn't happen and can only hope that the cost will help us avoid the inane "Guess where I'm calling from?" mess that we are subjected to on trains.

I've suggested a number of times, when responding to guest relations questionnaires from Amtrak, that they have at least one "Quiet Car" on the Surfliners.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, of the ten flights I have been on this year, only three operated by JetBlue (E-190, A-320) knew what such is. The flight tracking map they offer is "fun".

None of the United (A-319), American (M-88), Skywest (CRJ), Shuttle America (E-190), or Cape Air flights, I was on offered any of such. Of course, Cape Air's Cessna 402 offered what could be called a 'cab ride".

Guess they all have something to learn from Continental.

Funny how I was giving "fleeting' thought for a quick trip KORD-KSLC for this weekend (I want to go to one more Utah Symphony concert while I still can, I went to at least four of such - that's right, an Air Force Enlisted Man going to the Symphony - when stationed at Hill AFB - also a joyride on Frontrunner), but "it fleeted' when those last munute air fares pushed my "obscenity button'; hotel not much better. Rental auto? "never got there'. United serves that market with SkyWest "puddle jumpers" complete with stern admonishments not to put anything in the seat pocket (Frank, wonder if your Flight Attendant cohort has ever heard of that nonsense; apparently it is an FAR; a United FA I know "couldn't believe it' when I told her about it); suffice to say there would have been no AVOD there.

quote:
And the chefs were not fired, but the dishwashers were. I don't know if "fired" is the correct railroad/union term,
Smitty, the positions were abolished and the adversely affected employees exercised their seniority. Be assured "adversely affected" means many...MANY more than those holding the abolished positions.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is my chance to give a shout-out to my favorite airline---VIRGIN AMERICA!!!!!! Sorry, GBN, they don't have ORD or MDW, but they are working on it (ORD I am told).

For those unfamiliar, VA is an incredibly awesome and unique airline. Low fares, however, their cabins have all leather seating, a beautiful First Class section with electronically operated seats, in-seat massagers, personal touch-screen TV's, fine food, wine, etc...In Coach, all seats have their own TV as well, with live DirecTV, on-demand movies and TV shows, live Google Maps that show where you are, touch-screen food ordering (they do not come around with a food cart---you touch what you want, swipe your credit card through the TV, and they bring you your food), in-airplane chat rooms and instant messaging, build your own playlist from thousands of songs, and so many other things. They are about to launch service to FLL, and their hub is SFO (they are based in Millbrae, just next to the airport). All aircraft are either A319's or A320's, and they *all* have WiFi (free through Christmas) and normal electrical outlets at EVERY SEAT.

Check out their pre-flight safety video. One of the best I've ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyygn8HFTCo

Amtrak could learn so much from these people.......seriously.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Nice, Mr. Smith; I have no use whatever for how Southwest thinks the safety briefing is an excuse for some kind of comic skit. My last SWA flight KDEN-KMDW (the last year joyride), a Flight Attendant thought it was cute to have a Red seatbelt wrapped around his head as he walked down the asile; sorry, but too many shades of 9/11.

While I think my tenure of employment as a Flight Attendant would last about ten minutes (oh well, one flight until they had a chance to can me) I'm of the "All right maggots, stow those Playboy's, kill the chin music, and listen up....' persuasion as the Loadmaster let loose during several USAF flights taken while I was "in".

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the fare is right, Continental gets my airline dollars every time. Nice planes, terminals, and crews. And, at least on my last flight, you still got free food. Hardly gourmet, but still appreciated in these days of bare bones airplanes.

For cheap fares in our neck of the woods, how can you beat Southwest? $90 on our last transcon flight and no extra fees. But it is like the proverbial bus.

And Smitty, I'm afraid Amtrak is not interested in learning from anybody. The only way for that culture to change is to eliminate it and start over. Wonder what would happen if Mr. Branson used his UK rail expertise on Amtrak routes?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Meals at Mealtimes" on Continental may end sometime next year. It is an expense issue and too many people have been trained by other carriers to bring their own food on board.

Mr. Norman--I've heard about the "nothing in the seatback pocket" issue. Generally it's aimed at laptops but I've also heard of water bottles being considered suspect.

I'd bet that UA plane was formerly in service with TED. I don't believe they ever had entertainment systems. I don't know about the "Mad Dog" at AA. Most regional jets don't have an entertainment system but I think some of the newer, larger Embraer planes do.

When leaving OAX for IAH last month I lost my corkscrew (the last of my cheap hotel room ones) to Mexican Security. My artificial hip didn't raise an eyebrow. While waiting in the gate area I bought a bottled water and was surprised when it was taken from me when they did a second search of carry ons right before boarding.

On a more upbeat note, Guest Rewards is getting very good about posting points. My regular points and bonus points for my last trip (LAUPT/SBA) appeared within three days!

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Airline related news.....last week, United Airlines flew their last flight with a Boeing 737. They are now officially 100% retired and gone from their system. They have all been flown to Victorville, where they await their next fate.

The Captain who flew the last flight (flight #737 for the special occasion) also retired along with the airplane. He had a 4 canon salute (4 fire trucks!) at SFO when they pulled off the runway. You can go to YouTube and search for "United flight 737" to see videos from on-board that people took.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
And Smitty, I'm afraid Amtrak is not interested in learning from anybody.

I'm afraid you're right.....
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Incidentally, airlines of late have greatly curtailed the scope of in-flight entertainment offered.

I'm sorry, Ms. Kaz, how one innocuous thought, apparently without foundation beyond observations from my recent airline flights, made at my posting in response to your trip report has resulted in your material being hijacked by a cabal - myself included - from www.airliners.net
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Ah, yes. But I've always found the divergent thinking on this board to be interesting and mostly informative!

Frank in gloriously sunny and clear SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
"Meals at Mealtimes" on Continental may end sometime next year. It is an expense issue and too many people have been trained by other carriers to bring their own food on board.........

Frank in dark and cool SBA

I wonder why some enterprising airline doesn't offer the ability to reserve, through their reservation system, a good hot meal on long flights. I'd be glad to add $10 to the fare to get a decent meal. I really don't care for a meal in a bag, whether bought in the airport or when doled out by the attendant.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: The dishwasher -

The school system I work in (4 high schools, 4 middle schools, another 12-14 elementary or special schools.... switched over to using styrofoam trays and plastic forks five years ago. The dishwasher at each school was 'let go' at that time.

The central office declares (more or less convincingly) that it's cheaper to throw thousands of styrofoam trays away each week (at our school alone) than it was to employ a dishwasher.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thanks David. That's interesting that buying all of those disposable trays is cheaper than a dishwasher.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Thanks David. That's interesting that buying all of those disposable trays is cheaper than a dishwasher.

Interesting yes......but I cringe at the number of 50 gallon trash bags full of plastic, styrofoam, and food refuse that we generate every day. Ecologically speaking, I worry that we are being penny-wise but pound-foolish.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page