RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Washington DC

Author Topic: Washington DC
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going there this month, and I was wondering if there are any good railfaning locations in the city+suburbs. Not to mention if you know any good locations north of Florence on 95. Restaurants would also be a nice thing to know. Thank you
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak station in Alexandria is pretty good. As to restaurants it depends on type of food and price you are looking for.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, more of the steak, you know, that type of stuff, price I don't care about as much, as long as it is good
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If price is no, or not much of, an object, here is my personal favorite in The District:

http://www.1789restaurant.com/main/index.shtml

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Cool, thank you. Do you have any recommendations?
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Marc to the Bowie Station and shot pictures there a few years ago. Just beware of non stopping Amtrak Trains on the platform next to to the platform.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Yeah, that sounds like some fun, I hope I will have enough time to see it all. I'm thinking about taking the Acella up to Baltimore just to ride it
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get to Baltimore you might enjoy the B&O Railroad Museum.

If not a weekend, a return on the MARC commuter train will be a different experience than Acela (and a lot less expensive). It leaves from a station next to the historic B&O Camden station (and next to the Orioles ball park). Much closer to the museum than Penn Station.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray's the Steak has a great rep for that, steak that is.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
I know, that is what I was planing. I don't plan on a weekend for Baltimore, so I can use the MARC. Yeah, I figured I would like ride both, and get both experiences. I would love to visit museum as I think it has a nice website. Thank you, I think I will go. I like the sound of that restaurant as it is my type of food.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ruth's Chris Steak House---yum! DC has two of 'em. One on Connecticut Ave NW, and the other near the Convention Center.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to Alexandria, there are a few other good railfanning spots on the Metro system. New York Ave. on the Red Line is right alongside the approach tracks to Union Station with plenty of Amtrak, MARC & VRE trains going by. New Carrollton and Landover stations on the Orange are parallel to Amtrak's NEC and for photography, you'll get best results in the morning. For a "circle" trip, you can take the MARC Brunswick line to Rockville and then take the Red back to DC. Likewise with the the VRE to Alexandria (Blue & Yellow-King St.) or Franconia-Springfield (Blue).

The food court at Union Station is excellent, probably the best one I've ever seen. I like the Chinese place (I think it's called Rice Bowl), where you can get a big bowl of rice or noodles with a good variety of toppings.

If you're going to Baltimore, it's better to take the Acela up and the MARC down. The last Camden Line train to DC leaves at about 6:10pm. The Light Rail goes from Penn to Camden Stations. From Camden, it's about a 15-20 minute walk west to the B&O Museum and the Babe Ruth Museum is in between. The Inner Harbor is about 3 blocks east of the station.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
That sounds really good. I like all of those railfaning locations. I have been to Union Station before, and they have the best food court I think. I agree it is better to take the acella up to Baltimore, as well as you said how the schedules run.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Ruth's Chris Steak House---yum! DC has two of 'em. One on Connecticut Ave NW, and the other near the Convention Center.

Palm, 1225 19th Street NW, and Morton's, 1050 Connecticut Ave, much better; at least IMHO.

Been to Ruth's three times this year (Sandy Spring GA x2; Indy) quality dining, but they are "just not' the mentioned.

Finally, I should note that my three Ruth's visits represented 'wake up calls' that there is a recession going on out there. All visits were at "prime time' Friday or Saturday, and all were 'Mr. Norman, we have your table' and I could not help but note that at least two Dining rooms were closed.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Yeah, it sounds like a good restaurant, I actually think I have one near me, or I have seen one recently. Mortan's looks really good. I looked at all of their locations, they have one within an hour of me. Thank you guys
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Morton's....Yes GBN, I definitely need to try that out. I drive by the one in Vegas all the time. I think I'll make a reservation next time there and give it a try. I have heard very good things about it.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a way to sneak into the tunnel beneath the Capitol?

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tzena & I went to the Morton's in Houston. It was very good, but we dropped $120 for 2 and we shared the sides. (The side orders are large enough to share!)

Our steaks were perfect, some of the best dead cow I have eaten!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
$120 for two @ Morton's, Mr. Mike Smith? you "got off light".
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amtrak92 -

Another good railfanning location not too far out of DC would be the BWI Rail Station. Plenty of MARC weekday access......enough Amtrak on weekends. Free shuttle bus to the BWI airport where you can easily access the Baltimore light rail.

What I like about the BWI Station is the pedestrian overpass with windows looking out on the three track mainline in each direction. It's a place to be when an ACELA rushes beneath your feet at 125mph.

Interesting locations along I-95 north would include the Amtrak station in Selma, NC (less than 3/4 of a mile off the highway) where the Silver Star and Carolinian diverge from the A line to head over to Raleigh (active platform on two of the three sides of the station). Also might want to consider a stop in downtown Ashland, VA where the former RF&P doubletrack mainline runs down the street. Usually lot's of action there.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the other extreme - a good steak house is nice, but it's hard to beat throwing a hunk of meat on a campfire grill. Everything tastes better outside, especially with a bottle of wine.

Wow, is this ever off topic. Amtrak 92, if time permits wander over to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. It's a couple blocks from Camden station. Phillips Seafood is something of an institution in Baltimore (although these days the local catch may well be from Asia rather than local Chesapeake Bay). The National Aquarium there is excellent.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
Is there a way to sneak into the tunnel beneath the Capitol?

Ask the Salahis; they wrote the book on sneaking around DC.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to sneak in the tunnel. Just ask your Congressman for a staff led tour of the Capitol. You will go to his office in the Rayburn Building and then over to the Capitol through the tunnel.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
amtrak92 -

Another good railfanning location not too far out of DC would be the BWI Rail Station. Plenty of MARC weekday access......enough Amtrak on weekends. Free shuttle bus to the BWI airport where you can easily access the Baltimore light rail.

What I like about the BWI Station is the pedestrian overpass with windows looking out on the three track mainline in each direction. It's a place to be when an ACELA rushes beneath your feet at 125mph.

Interesting locations along I-95 north would include the Amtrak station in Selma, NC (less than 3/4 of a mile off the highway) where the Silver Star and Carolinian diverge from the A line to head over to Raleigh (active platform on two of the three sides of the station). Also might want to consider a stop in downtown Ashland, VA where the former RF&P doubletrack mainline runs down the street. Usually lot's of action there.

Thank you, I'll try to use these. I have rode the routes a lot. It just depends what time I'm passing thru. I have always wanted to stop in Ashland.
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
At the other extreme - a good steak house is nice, but it's hard to beat throwing a hunk of meat on a campfire grill. Everything tastes better outside, especially with a bottle of wine.

Wow, is this ever off topic. Amtrak 92, if time permits wander over to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. It's a couple blocks from Camden station. Phillips Seafood is something of an institution in Baltimore (although these days the local catch may well be from Asia rather than local Chesapeake Bay). The National Aquarium there is excellent.

Sounds like a great place to spend the day. Also sounds like a great restaurant
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by wayne72145:
You don't have to sneak in the tunnel. Just ask your Congressman for a staff led tour of the Capitol. You will go to his office in the Rayburn Building and then over to the Capitol through the tunnel.

Some of these tours they take you on a primitive maglev train to the capital building. I have done that once, and it was really bumpy, which surprised me

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page