RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Signs of Change at NH Union Station

Author Topic: Signs of Change at NH Union Station
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of a protest is springing up in New Haven's Union Station. The "Solari" mechanical train board will be replaced by a LED screen. It's the "Clicky-Clack" the sign makes is what people will miss. "it alerts us the Acela from Boston will abit late."

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/12/schedule_board.php

Grand Central changed from these signs can't remember when 90's perhaps. They didn't save one for prosterity as they have an old manual board. It is located on the north west side, can't remember is its on the upper level in the "kissing room" or on the lower level below.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/10/bikers_city_ask.php#entry-017328more

Here is a recent article about the New Haven Union Station. It's a great building. Many of the plans are rather grand and unfortunatly the area is cutoff from the downtown area. I read in a archetecture book about the Station. Origionally the front plaza and entrances where to be designed by Olmstad of Central Park fame who also designed New Havens Edgewood Park. Only the station was built and furthermore unfortunatly following the ill conceived urban renewall further cut off the station from downtown and Yale University. Today it is cut off by a highway connector, a housing project and a police headquarters.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Away back in the early '60's...that's over a half century ago...TWA installed on of the first Solari Boards in the US at their Flight Center at JFK. And yes; everytime there was a new entry just about every one would stop to look at what new information was being posted. Yesterday's advance is today's antique.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If New Haven's Solari board is replaced, you'll still be able to get your "Solari fix" at 30th Street in Phiadelphia, where the board is still happily clacking away and I know of no plans to replace it.

One of the joys of a Solari board is that, if you watch closely, you'll see destinations and train names that no longer apply. "Montreal" and "Cape Cod" still come up as the Solari board is changing its settings.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baltimore Penn still had the Solari board chattering away when I was there in April.

It's been longer BUT do they not still use the Solari Board in the New Carrollton, MD station as well?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Solari Boards even, there were electronically-operated cloth "scrolls" at New York's GCT back in the 50's. If you think there were some exotic named trains that you're going to miss seeing now that the Solaris are gone, you should have seen some of the ones (I think many predating WWII) that I used to see on those old scroll boards when they were in use.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of train boards, I understand departing train info is hard to find at L.A. Union Station. I'll be there in a few weeks. Any suggestion what a geezer who don't hear so good no more ought to do to find out what track No. 4 is departing from?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAUPT has a large electronic board in the area between the main waiting room and the tunnel leading to the tracks (near the ticket windows). I don't recall seeing any boards in the main waiting room.

My experience has been that an employee at the entrance of the tunnel usually hollers out the train and track number before it is posted on the board.

I have also noticed the Red Caps usually start loading people on the carts and heading to the tunnel before other announcements are made.

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you.

Possibly the best thing to do is find an Amtrak official, point to my ear and shake my head, show my ticket, point at the tunnel, and shrug.

That used to work with the airlines and insure early boarding, but they got wise to the scam.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/12/save_solari_voi.php

Here is an update of the grass root "save the solari" advocy group. the led by the local bicycle groups. I think their mantra is not one dime for transportation until they get a sheltered bike rack, and more space in the trains for bikes. Anyway here is a suggestion. If i can program my cell phone to sound like the phone in Sam Spade's office then I'm sure they could make the LED board go clickty clack when changes are made.
To Ocala Mike its true, when i watch the board roll through the sighn still has Pittsburgh, Montreal and Miami, What ever happens I hope they perserve the sign either at the East Haven trolley museum or perhaps the Danbury rail museum.

MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new dot matrix board at Boston's South Station makes a sound that vaguely sounds like a Solari board. It does it when a train opens for boarding, not very authentic.
Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page