RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » off on a sojourn

Author Topic: off on a sojourn
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to let you all know that I am shortly going to be heading out on a train trip to sunny (I hope) Florida and may not be able to get on line again until I return, so I wanted to wish everyone a very happy 2010 . . . good health, good weather, good travel, and may all your trains be comfortable and on time!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget your winter clothing! It may be sunny down here, but no shortage of wintry cold weather for the next few days. Hope your "Silver Service" is shiny.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a close friend living in Ft. Lauderdale. She told me the other day it had gotten cold there about 60 and it was 40 in Miami. Of course since the wind chill here is in the single didgets that doesn't seem too cold. Have a great trip and keep us posted
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip!

Honestly, I don't know how you folks manage it! [Razz]

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

Enjoy your time in the sunshine state.

Bring some of the warm back with you.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner -- it's 35 here this AM, with a high of only 50-something predicted today..... (at least we don't have any snow!)

Have a great trip!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Sojourner -- it's 35 here this AM, with a high of only 50-something predicted today..... (at least we don't have any snow!)

Have a great trip!!

My wife was hoping to hop a 'cheapjet' to the Orlando area in a couple or three weeks for a weekend away from North Carolina winter.

Her plans are on hold at the moment as YOU are having North Carolina winter. We are having Dubuque, Iowa winter!!!!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Iowa winters, I spent a lifetime one winter in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently typing this while in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Having lived in Wisconsin most of my life, to me this weather feels somewhat Spring-like. Oh, well. I have no complaints.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
Speaking of Iowa winters, I spent a lifetime one winter in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

And I spent an entire winter one January weekend in Dubuque!!!!!

The weather that weekend topped out at about 7 below and a friend who lives in Dubuque says "It hasn't been above freezing for the last 63 days."

That's the year I decided that future visits to the upper midwest would be confined to an April - October timeframe!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:

Have a great trip!!

My wife was hoping to hop a 'cheapjet' to the Orlando area in a couple or three weeks for a weekend away from North Carolina winter.

Her plans are on hold at the moment as YOU are having North Carolina winter. We are having Dubuque, Iowa winter!!!!

Wow!! Global warming strikes again.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to go to Dubuque some time. Not in winter, though.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I spent a year in Ely, Nevada, one week back in 1970........" but that is a different story and had nothing to do with trains!!! (CAR trouble!!!)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:

Wow!! Global warming strikes again.

Of course, it goes without saying that WEATHER is what's happening today, while CLIMATE is what takes place over long periods of time. Kind of like feeling wealthy on payday, right!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich - We had a great time in Ely several years ago - everything a small desolate western city should be. The Hotel Nevada was a hoot and a real time warp. Of course the big attraction is the Nevada Northern RR and fully functioning steam era shops. It's also convenient to the relatively new Great Basin N.P. with its almost 5000 year old Bristlecone Pine Trees (sorry for the pine tree referene).

The drive out on US 50 from Carson City ('The loneliest highway')was spectacular. First time I have gone over an hour on a designated U.S. highway without seeing another car, but we were stopped briefly by cattle wandering on the road. Good example I guess of how some places have improved with time. But, no, I would not want to be there in January.

Now back to warmer climates of Sojourner's Florida escape...

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Ely, NV!

I spent a lot of money there one day in 2005 and lived a childhood dream.

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I would like to go to Dubuque some time. Not in winter, though.

Aside from flying, the only public transport is a bus operated by Burlington Trailways. Seems like it's something like a Chicago - Cedar Rapids run. One bus a day in each direction.

--------------------
David Pressley

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Didn't AMTRAK's "Black Hawk" operate Chicago to Dubuque many years ago? I had forgotten about that train - perhaps that route would be a good candidate for a corridor route worth looking into again (and it would fit into GBN's vision of "what 21st century railroading is about."). How about it, Gil?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off the top of my head the State supported Black Hawk operated Chicago-Dubuque from about 1973 to 1981. "There's been talk' about restoring the route under the 'reawakening" of Illinois passenger service:

http://www.dot.state.il.us/amtrak/RCK_Feasibility.pdf

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Among the many challenges such a restoration of service faces would be a station facility in Dubuque.

The IC depot came down (I believe) in the 1980's during implementation of a traffic flow improvement plan. (IE: station area is now a northbound traffic lane.....)

A plexiglass Amshack would be worthless in Dubuque from mid-October until about May!

--------------------
David Pressley

DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

A plexiglass Amshack would be worthless in Dubuque from mid-October until about May! [/QB]

Not just in Dubuque but many other places also. However, that has not stopped Amtrak up to now.

We have one in Windsor Locks, CT, just a few miles west of me where it is currently a balmy 22º. (Which is why I drive a few extra miles to the Springfield, MA station.)

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page