RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Book Recommendation - 'Waiting on A Train' (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Book Recommendation - 'Waiting on A Train'
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RR4me:

Day of the month that the train left the originating city. In this case, aboard #58(7) means aboard the City of New Orleans that left New Orleans on the seventh of June.

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one exception to that rule, Mr. Dixie, and that relates to #1 the Westbound Sunset Limited.

Since the Sunset is "suspended" Orlando-New Orleans and has not been discontinued (I've always contended that an advocacy group could make a case that Amtrak discontinued a train without Notice under ARRA '97 so they'd better put it back on), the "phantom" train still originates in Orlando. Therefore the Sunset that left New Orleans on Monday June 14 had actually "left" Orlando Sun Jun 13. Therefore this particular train is still noted by Amtrak as #1(13).

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I have completed Mr. McCommons' work, I hold to the view expressed earlier at the topic that "it don't tell US too much we don't already know' and, pleasantly, I found there to be far more "balance" than I would have expected. The balance is that Mr. McCommons recognizes that there is more to hosting a passenger train than simply the advocates position of "hey what's some iddy bitty passenger train?' or "that big profit hungry railroad OWES us.'

While I think it was 'dumb' that Union Pacific would not grant the author any "face time' and the other three simply trotted out their 'PR mouthpieces', they did provide some insight into the industry's thoughts on handling this "nuisance" with which predecessor managers 'stuck' the contemporary industry. I continue to hold the industry is Kubler-Ross Phase V regarding Amtrak; it's here to stay.

In a word: "it's worth it'.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN:

Could this be an exception that proves the rule?

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page