RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My Next Trip

Author Topic: My Next Trip
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I bought a round-trip air ticket from Ithaca, NY to Sacramento, CA for $258.20. The trip will be in March. Included will be a roundtrip ride on the Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Los Angeles for just $55 each way!

Some questions - Apart from the train museum, what is there to do in Sacramento?

Does the CS usually run on-time?

I found a Knights Inn motel in LA at 1255 W. Temple Street for $69 a night. It appears to be about a mile west of Union Station. What is that area like?

Do Metrolink trains run to San Juan Capistrano on Sundays?

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
What is that area like?

Hotel

LA

$69

Somehow Mr. Sommer, I think that question has answered itself.

If I am to make a trip to LA (as I've noted, before that referee way topside signals "game over", I'd like to hear Dudamel lead the LA Philharmonic at Disney), I'd be staying at The Biltmore - an absolute classic.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm completely mystified by Mr. Norman's collection of words but what I *think* he's trying to say is that it is unlikely to be a good hotel at that price in that city. Only 6 reviews on TripAdvisor and none favourable:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d589309-Reviews-Knights_Inn_Los_Angeles-Los_Angeles_California.html

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cockroaches? I better keep searching! Thanks for the link!

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you staying at the Vagabond Inn across the street from the Amtrak station in Sacramento? It's highly recommended by a number of us who have stayed there.

Beyond the Railroad museum in Sacramento, there are other things to see in that same area....known as 'Old Sacramento'. Then there are the various government buildings and some museums not too far away.

Sacramento also has easy access to outlying areas using the light rail which does serve the Amtrak station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grief Mr. Mayo, the reviews for this place seem even worse than the place in Florida at which "I always stay' and felt compelled to write a Trip Advisor review myself stating that the negatives previously reported appeared unfounded to me.

As others have noted, Trip Advisor must be "taken with a grain of salt", but in this instance, I'll place my bets there is some foundation to the adverse reviews.

Knights Inn is one of these franchises in which I think it is pretty much a case of 'we'll hang up a sign and you start sending in the royalties". While possibly mistaken, I'd be amazed if the franchisor has any kind of quality assurance activities.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Sommer, just make sure you don't choose this hotel (apologies to The Eagles):

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"relax," said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

-Hotel California lyrics

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to get nostalgic for the 70's all of a sudden....as the Southern Crescents pass in the night in some little North Caolina textile town......the smell of honeysuckle in the air...

The good old days when buying a coach seat was a waste of good money because I was going to spend all night hanging out in the vestibule...or at least until the conductor shooed me away.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:

Does the CS usually run on-time?

I found a Knights Inn motel in LA at 1255 W. Temple Street for $69 a night.

Do Metrolink trains run to San Juan Capistrano on Sundays?

Yes, the CS usually leaves LA on time and that part of the journey is likely to go well.

I concur that the Knight's Inn is suspect.

Metrolink hours are quite limited on the weekend and besides, one would do better to take the Surfliner to Capistrano. More comfortable for one thing.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a Knight's Inn in our town. Apparently it's the location of significant local commerce - and not from hotel revenues.

Notelvis - sounds to me like you're just ready for spring. Except you have to replace dreams of honeysuckle with Kudzu. But for that wind in your face feeling on jointed rail, I would recommend TVRM in Chattanooga in a couple months.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland, if the noted "commerce" is such that lends itself to currency transactions between hotel and other parties, then I would guess the franchisor has a cadre of Loss Prevention Auditors, possibly local accounting firms, about the land.

However, if a franchisor offers to franchisees (can't make 'em; just "suggest') charge card processing, then they are in a position to know what the independently owned property is doing (how many people with nothing to hide pay for a room in currency nowadays?) and hence that their royalties are being properly (or at least in the ballpark) reported. The need to have outside auditors and the expense associated therewith is greatly minimized.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local commerce; great euphemism for the world's oldest profession/drug deals going down (either/or).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saramento has Old Town around the train museum near SAC train station, including boat rides in season in the day time. Somewhat further away (but still walkable distance), the state capitol is open in the day time too (not sure of weekend hours), has tours, nice grounds.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stayed at a few Knights Inns, and none of them have rated over a 4 (on a scale of 1 to 10).
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page