RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » On Going Expansion New Haven to Springfield

Author Topic: On Going Expansion New Haven to Springfield
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newhavenregister.com/articles/2010/01/09/news/a3-ctrailbond.txt

Conneticut has had multiple reports on this. The CT Shoreline has become "popular" because its a short reliable trip many comuters found it when gas prices where above $4 a gallon. An advantage the shoreline has is that the new stations have available parking around their tracks. Many of the stations along the New Haven Hartford line are 19th century sites with limited access. Second it would be much better if the Metro-North and Bay State Transit should do this along with the proposed rail service from New Haven to Penn Station in NY if the North East is "serious" about rail service they have to stop relaying on Amtrak. It is my opinion that the reason Metro North works is that it runs conviniently not on a limited basis. Many comuters in New Haven and Fairfield Counties can commute via train and not have to worry about working late or worry about when they need to head home, the trains run almost all night. Not so with an Amtrak schedule.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newhavenadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=16312

Another Article on the state of connecticut about building a Amtrak
commuter line between Springfield Ma. to New Haven CT. If other states and amtrak connect regional major cities with convinient and reliable
service perhaps more people might be inclined to use trains on longer trips.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Tanner, I shall defer to your thoughts, but I must wonder what will happen to Connecticut's rail initiatives now that popular, pro-rail, and scandal free (and that's a WOW in CT), Gov. Jodi Rell has chosen not to seek re-election.

GBN
Greenwich 1946-70

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ride last summer between New Haven and Hartford almost seemed like a different railroad. The crew was extremely friendly, the equipment was in good shape, and we were invited to step over the roped off seats near the cab car window so that we could see the railroad (and the engineer at work). Arriving in New Haven, the engineer gave us a good restaurant tip.

It appeared that much, if not all had been double tracked at one point. Anyone know? If so, upgrading to a higher speed double track railroad would be a lot easier than some of the proposals being discussed. The stations were nice, although Springfield needs more work.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was most if not all double track until about 17-18 years ago when Amtrak removed the second track to "save" money. The standard joke at the time was betting how long it would take for the state of CT. to pay to put the second track back. That time may be getting close...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To MDRR yeah you bet. and looking at the area of the torn up track
its not like the land was used for anything. They could have just used one track if the second wasn't needed it would be there but
but the wear an tear would be reduced.

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
To Mr. Norman,

Rell was indifferent about the studies Dodd who was never challenged much in his elections. He did spout some Hi-Speed
boiler-plate words in his last election because he needed a campaign topic. This was when gas was heading for $5 and ridership was increasing. And of course those new riders where
upset they couldn't find a seat or park the car at the station.
CT has alot of potiential for railroads but we are a car culture, will the riders be there? In CT they spend for studies on public transportation but highway work is the states most consistent employer.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Connecticut a car culture? A state that is just barely big enough for the highway department to need a few three digit mile markers? It could almost be a bicycle culture. Most western state counties are bigger than Connecticut.

This is a state made to order in both size and population density for rail transit to everywhere.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George,

Connecticut may be small, but hardly designed for a bicycle culture. Contrary to what most people think, there is far more country and suburbs than city here.

Expansion between New Haven,CT and Springfield, MA could however have great potential (if done right).

It may currently be a car culture but that is because there are few alternatives.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUIZ In what state is the most route mileage of the Boston-Washington Northeast Corridor located?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CT.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
QUIZ In what state is the most route mileage of the Boston-Washington Northeast Corridor located?

Given the thread's subject I would have to say CT. Possibly NJ for 2nd, and this is without looking at a map.

CT rail service is reasonable, particularly if you live along the shore. But a bit of joined up thinking wouldn't go amiss - I'm talking buses connecting with trains. Danbury to New Milford is only a few miles but had no public transport between the two back when I worked there (mid/late 90s). Either bus all the way from NYC or train to Danbury and make your own way from there. Ironically, of course, New Milford still has (had) a couple of freights a day so the track was there and usable but not the passenger transport.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Mayo, extension of rail service up the Berkshire Line "has been talked about", but so far as I'm concerned, Litchfield County is simply Dark Ages for any transportation.

Knowing Litchfield County (South Kent School 1956-61) to the extent I do, 'this is how we want to keep it'. Where is the Litchfield County International Airport (it aint)?, where is I-89 (in Vermont)?

Be it assured, when I drive US7 come June 2011 for my "fiftieth', the same curves that existed when I was a student will still be there. The last major improvement to that road in Litchfield was the Depression-era Cornwall Bridge over the Housatonic.

In this environment, it is amazing that passenger service hung on until A-Day (save a fan trip every so often). Freight traffic along the Housatonic RR is "one a day'.

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
We do like Bicycles here in CT in fact a group is trying to loosen the restrictions on taking bikes on Metro North Trains or at least get more bike racks at the stations.
And I agree rail service up to Lichfield would not work there is rail service from Waterbuy to the main NH Line, the Naugatuck line is a tourist train. The old Kent train station is a pottery and book store.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page