TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » For the really HOPELESS foamer

Author Topic: For the really HOPELESS foamer
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/gn441.htm
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Henry -- looks great!!! We stayed at the Walton back in 2006, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to anyone who may be planning an Empire Builder trip out West. Isaak Walton is a BEAUTIFUL resort, and does have a "railroad theme," We did not stay in the renovated cabooses up on the hill across the tracks from the main lodge (they actually had a power outage in those units for a couple days while we were there) -- we stayed in one of the "trackside" rooms in front, in the main buidling, and enjoyed it immensely.

The GN441 is obviously new, and was not there when we were, but it looks pretty nice!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.....

This looks like just the ticket.....

But for the price of sleeping three nights in the 441 I can play engineer at the Nevada Northern Museum in Ely, NV.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to do the Chattanooga hotel that has Pullmans as part of its room inventory sometime.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Pullman, "been there done that"; not worth it. Also in Nashville I have looked for accommodations elsewhere than the Wyndham Union Station Hotel (namely last visit at Marriott Courtyard near Vanderbilt Univ - easier on the piggybank as well); I need my sleep more than I need 24/7 railfanning.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do Want!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do want what, Jonathon?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you know, GBN, I differ with you on Wyndham Union Station. A great old station with a restoration that was extremely well done. While I am not a great fan of Wyndham properties, this one is excellent. No reason to feel compelled to train watch here. Get a room on the upper floors and not facing the tracks and you would never know there was a railroad there. While I value Marriott 'points' as well, it's worth it try this.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Marriott properties, at least Courtyard on up, have the best beds out there - well I guess save the likes of Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton - can't help you on those (Hyatt is as high as I go in this life - once or twice a year in Greenwich).

Haven't stayed at a Wyndham since that fiasco I noted earlier involving the Pittsburgh Airport property (Marriott to Wyndham back to Marriott) was resolved (it could best be described as "run down" during its Wyndham years). Guess the Lunch at the Tri-Rail Miami Airport property with Mr. Resor was the last time I put anything in their till. But I'd be suspicious of any chain having "bottom feeder" brands like Days Inn and Super 8 in their portfolio.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page