RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas Eagle/CONO Run Through

Author Topic: Texas Eagle/CONO Run Through
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak announced that as of 1/8/10, CONO equipment will "run through" and be used for the Texas Eagle.
The equipment will be cleaned stripped and restocked in Chicago.
Also a full lounge will be added to CONO consist and the CC Cafe will revert to regular dining car service, but with the retention of all day menu service enhancements.

The reason given is to better utilize equipment and to prevent freeze damage.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heading out on the Eagle next Sunday for L.A. and will report back on the consist.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, why, why did we spend (what was it, an M a car?) what we did on the 370XX "Cross Country Cafe" conversions that quite simply "don't please no one"?

Rep. Mica (R-FL7), weren't you the one always preaching about the waste at Amtrak? Lest you forget, whose big idea was this "simplified dining' (again I note, "Diner-Lite" is railfanese) anyway?

Finally of interest, I just learned from reviewing govtrack.us, that the formal "shorthand" identification of party, state, and district for a Member of Congress is as reported above. Previously I reported such as, in this instance, (R-7th-FL). Oh well, three characters are saved.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is surprising that the train can be 'cleaned, stripped, and restocked' in the 4 hours 45 min.between CONO arrival and TE departure.

If Amtrak did that with all trains, imagine how many more cars would be available for new or expanded train consists, especially if there was some schedule adjustments.

Some examples of turn around times:

SWC, Chicago - 24 hrs.
Sunset, LA - 28 hrs.
Capitol, Washington - 27hrs.
Cardinal, NY - 39 hrs.
CONO, New Orleans - 22 hrs.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, this equipment assignment has been done in the past. It was discontinued when New Orleans was closed out as a maintenance facility (beyond turnaround end-point work) after being damaged during Katrina.

It does save one set of equipment, lest we note.

That Amtrak is now resuming this assignment leads me to wonder if they are again establishing New Orleans as a maintenance facility. I always thought NOL made sense, given its proximity to Chicago. Save most extreme weather, equipment at Chicago needing a thaw out and being added to 59's consist will start thawing likely after leaving Memphis. It would be reasonably thawed upon arrival in NO, and with 22hours to complete whatever repairs were needed arising from the freeze up.

The repaired equipment would be back in Chicago some 60hours later, and with 58's fairly early CHI arrival would be ready to be placed in the consist of any LD train departing that day (same applies to B/O'd equipment arriving on any LD at CHI - such could be on its way to the sunny South within hours).

Finally two points involving people. It is simply not reasonable to expect the same productivity from a, say, Carman having to carry on in 0dg as it is from one at say 40dg. Secondly, while I have never had too much nice to say about any experience I have had in NO over the years (last time there Feb 04 connecting from 1 to 58, I didn't even leave the station), such does not apply to the competent and dedicated New Orleans based Amtrak employees - including a cop!

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the Texas Eagle sleeper (on the Sunset Limited) out of Los Angeles this Wednesday. Heading to San Antonio.

Not sure if the run through will effect our consist or not, but I'll report on it for sure.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Why, why, why did we spend (what was it, an M a car?) what we did on the 370XX "Cross Country Cafe" conversions that quite simply "don't please no one"?

I'm going to find my notes and see if I can get the actual figure. For some reason, something closer to $2M is ringing a bell with me. I can't believe how much $$$ Amtrak wastes!!!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

That Amtrak is now resuming this assignment leads me to wonder if they are again establishing New Orleans as a maintenance facility.

And, if so, would this have any bearing on the resumption/addition of service NOL-Florida?
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mike, such likely has more to do with Sunset West needing a more extensive away from home terminal (1-2 is LA based - equipment and OBS crews) to replace Sanford SFA.

Smitty, the first car 37000 may have run up $2M by the time they were prepared to place it in revenue service, but I believe $1/ea was more the number for the subsequent cars.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Gil, I understand what you're saying about the Sunset, but what about NOL-Florida service WITH NOL as the home terminal? Additional service, rather than the resumption of the Sunset is what I mean.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well Mike, if such ever were to come to pass, then having an active maintenance facility at NO would enable greater operational efficiency regardless of whether the destination for such service were to be JAX or ORL.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would this mean they might revive the New Orleans maintenance base if it is being cleaned, etc. in Chicago?

It would seem that the only change is the equipment is going through so the maintenance crews have a shorter time. If a car needed repairs, presumably it would be set out in Chicago as would be the case now.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page