RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip report on the Texas Eagle (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trip report on the Texas Eagle
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad Bob, you don't have to be an "old-timer" to like the Eagles (although I certainly do fit the category). Just want to remind everyone on here not to stay at the Hotel California on their travels. You can check out but you can never leave!
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If not already, The Eagles will soon be on the marquee in Vegas - alongside of Wayne Newton.

As I recall, a production of theirs was part of a recent PBS (well at least the local outlet WTTW) "begathon". This certainly means, 'they're getting there" to that Vegas marquee.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good old Wayne Newton is doing his very last series of shows right now. He's playing at the Tropicana, which is not exactly one of the premier hotels on the Strip. I guess he wanted to stick with old Vegas.

Where will the Eagles be playing? I hadn't heard that yet. Knowing them, it will probably be at the Hard Rock or Caesar's Palace.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Facetious speculation on my part, Mr. Smith.

Hey, if I find The Eagles melodic, then I guess we know what demographic they appeal to; don't think I am exactly a SlipKnotMaggot (I didn't even know what that was until about a day ago until some kid over at RRNET using that as an e-mail handle PM'd me).

Finally, I think I'm going to have "words' with the owner of the Coffee House having "tables with a view'. It seems as if they have hired a twentysomething youngster (possibly a relative) to handle such during Sat AM, as the owner's daughter seems to be there for their new Soup 'n Sandwich Lunch hour. With this change, the background music has suddenly become "Lite Rock' in place of the classical. I think one can guess what I think of that change.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I had to look up slipknotmaggot. Slipknot is a rock band. Slipknot maggots are fans of the band. They are called that because the band's drummer refers to his mates as maggots.

Sometimes it's just easier being deaf.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny watching old farts make comments about current music. LOL!!! Sorry, just had to say it. I'll be there someday also...currently 44 and I'm already saying "youth is wasted on the young". [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Jimmy Buffett can play a couple shows each year in Vegas and attract sell-out crowds, I don't see why the Eagles couldn't also........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
Railroad Bob, you don't have to be an "old-timer" to like the Eagles (although I certainly do fit the category). Just want to remind everyone on here not to stay at the Hotel California on their travels. You can check out but you can never leave!

Haha, yeah I knew that Mike- I was just having fun being an' ol' fart... [Big Grin] And that song you referred to is truly their masterpiece- Hotel California. Timeless, awesome piece. I like the version of the song from the Hell Freezes Over album, with the long accoustic intro--
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, pretty much my candidate for the numero uno rock song of all-time. I like this lyric; maybe it describes being on an Amtrak LD waiting in a siding for a signal, or maybe it describes this group:

"We are all just prisoners here of our own device".

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an old friend who earns his livlihood driving the fancy charter buses touring rock bands ride. Our nostalgia keeps him working - shortly before Christmas he came in off a tour driving REO Speedwagon.......

not quite the Eagles - but reasonably close.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page