RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Capitol Limited meets Snowmageddon

Author Topic: The Capitol Limited meets Snowmageddon
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/us/07train.html?scp=3&sq=amtrak&st=cse
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
naturally the whole thing was the fault of Amtrak. The complainers should have had airline tickets then they could sleep on the airport floor and figure out hw to get food. BAH HUMBUG !!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--- just blame Mother Nature. Call it an act of God. Bad Karma. Whatever.

Life Happens.

--- how we react and adjust to what happens says a lot about us.

One thing always amazes me -- It is the we were not kept informed statements. Look out the window people. A simple "trees and power lines are down and we will proceed as soon as we can do so safely" should suffice. Having that repeated every fifteen minutes or so will not change a thing. -- We have become an impatient people.

And yes I have been on severely delayed trains several times. (Sometimes handled wonderfully by Amtrak Train Attendants and/or Customer Services and sometimes not.)

In every case, as near as I can determine, it did not affect or alter the rest of my life.

Life is short --- enjoy the ride.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Dee
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too was wondering how AMTRAK was doing in the NE with all the snow. I realize no one can change the weather, but it seems to me, back in the hey-day of railroading (1930's and 1940's), passenger trains were very seldom delayed, even by such massive snowstorms. Highways were shut down, planes (what few there were then) were cancelled, but how did the railroads handle situations like this "in the olden days?"
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply a case of "more boots on the ground" Rich.

Lest we forget that when the 1952 City of San Francisco Donner Pass stranding occurred, railroad industry employment was about 1.2M; today it is about 185K or some 15% of 1952 levels.

Railroading today by comparison is one big 1:1 Lionel set - and it is handling considerably more traffic today than it did back then - Korean War notwithstanding.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Acording to the reports massive numbers of lines and trees are down on therails. also the crews may have trouble getting to work. The roads are incredible.
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear, hear DeeCT
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great link, Mr. Norman. Thanks for posting it.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the 1952 newsreel link, Gil! As always, I enjoy your vast archives of railroading history.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as long as they don't handle the Donner Pass stranding Mr Norman describes as it was handled in the 1800s . . .
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, did you know that there is a tourist spot in the pass called the "Donner Camp Picnic Grounds"?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be checking the lunch meat in those picnic sandwiches very carefully at that spot!
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how things weren't so bad in worse snow conditions, back in 1996 (fourteen years ago). Nobody coined the inane term "Snowmageddon" either. Has the younger generation just turned out weaker or weaker-willed?

Pity about the real Capitol Limited too. Riding out of CRRNJ Terminal and stopping at Baltimore Mount Royal en route are things that one can merely imagine, these days.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been delayed at the Denver Airport in February and can not count the times in Chicago and I have been stuck between Spokane and Seattle for hours in the snow. I will trade any of my airport delays for the comfortable wait on a train. Delays on a train are more relaxing than an airport floor. I won't go through Denver in the winter ever again unless it's on Amtrak.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

As a lover of wordplay, I enjoyed "Snowmageddon" the first couple of times it was used. Also "Snowpocalypse," for a while. And "Snopocalympics," the caption a Maryland newspaper reportedly put on a photograph of kids sledding downhill Monday.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Jusr this AM a woman reported her son looked out and called it a snowdado (age 10 not bad!!)With the blizzard going on that is a very apt discription
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like everything has to be a 3 second soundbyte nowadays, and I don't necessarily blame the younger generations. I blame "news" casters or their writers. Can't resist adding it is ruining thoughtful discourse in politics as well.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Heard "snowverkill" today, and thought that was a good 'un.

It's nice to see people having fun with the language.

AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I just returned from our 7,000 mile train trip, and all went well except the final 400 miles on the Capitol Limited from CHI to PGH.

We arrived in CHI Sunday night on the Empire Builder, and the Capitol was canceled due to "trees on the tracks."

We were staying in Chicago for two nights anyway, but the CL departure of 2/10 was still canceled and Amtrak in Chicago doesn't expect the CL to be operational for "3-5 more days."

So we rented a car and returned home via the Indiana and Ohio Turnpikes. Weather was okay until Akron. Slow driving after that.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
AHALL, will we be getting a trip report? Since I can't ride as often as I'd like (work, bills, college funding etc.) I vicariously enjoy all the reports published.
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, with respect to "snowverkill" or whatever you want to call it, I need to point one thing out. This one broke records set more than a hundred years ago, so those "back in the day" railroaders never dealt with anything quite so severe, at least not on the East Coast. In Philadelphia, we're now up to 72 inches so far this year -- previous yearly high was 54 inches, back in 1996, and 52 in 1898.

A friend sent photos of his neighborhood south of Washington, and there were LOTS of downed trees, so that made the problems on the RF&P pretty clear.

We're got about three feet on the ground here. Main roads are okay, side streets still iffy in spots. But hey, I work for the government, and they've been closed all week so I've got nowhere I need to go. Good thing, because Amtrak sure won't get me there.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Today it was "snowverload." Tomorrow it'll be "snowverdose," Sunday it'll be "snowverflow," Monday "snowversupply."

Or am I snowverdoing it?

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methought "snowmageddon" was "snowverdone" right out of the box. Snow corny…
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
The word play here is excellent and amusing. Trying to survuve in the snow is not. People in the area are being taken out by helicopter for medicaal emergencies, the National guard is helping get the emergency equipment through, in some communities there ate 8 ft. drifts, people can't get out to get food, Some have been without electricity for days and the temps have been below freezing. No life for many here is not a game nor are the reports overkill.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
oops Line 3 the word is are not ate
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Dare I stick my head out of the turret again? But I wanted to tell you all that even the New York Times is playing this game:

Clearing Roads in Winter Requires Snowphistication

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
that was also in the Washington Post this morning. Hmmm, I wonder who copied whom?
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Come to think of it, that was an AP story -- presumably the AP puts headlines on all its stories.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While off rails, the best of these contracted terms I've heard along the way has got to be 'Invoicetation", or otherwise an invitation which best translates 'send gift to....'
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page