RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Napery and crockery return to the Starlight

Author Topic: Napery and crockery return to the Starlight
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Media Relations today:

AMTRAK’S COAST STARLIGHT
RE-INTRODUCES REAL CHINA AND TABLE LINENS

Elegant dinner service aims to improve customer satisfaction

OAKLAND – Beginning today, real china, table linens and glassware are returning to Amtrak’s popular Coast Starlight long-distance train to provide an elegant dining experience for passengers and is the latest service change aimed at further improving customer satisfaction on the west coast route between Los Angeles and Seattle.

The re-introduction of full china service—and the move away from disposable plastic dinnerware— is one result of a comprehensive Route Performance Improvement (RPI) analysis undertaken by Amtrak to enhance Coast Starlight customer service, product quality and market performance.

“Amtrak listened to what passengers were telling us when they said ‘a premium train service deserves a premium place setting for meals—not throwaway plastic’,” said Brian Rosenwald Chief of Product Development. “We are committed to customer satisfaction and in favor of eliminating plastic in favor of ‘green’ alternatives wherever possible.”

Fiscal year 2009 was one of the most successful ridership years for the Coast Starlight, welcoming over 432,000 passengers, a 22.3 percent increase over the previous year. Customer satisfaction scores during the year also showed improvement, with 83 percent of customers ranking Coast Starlight service as excellent, up from 79 percent in fiscal year 2008.

The RPI analysis has resulted in Amtrak making other changes to Coast Starlight service. For example, sleeping car passengers may experience the Pacific Parlour Car, a lounge venue featuring alternative meal service, specialty coffees, a daily wine tasting, and private movie theater. In addition, Amtrak upgraded sleeping cars, enhanced room service, and re-trained employees to focus on high-level customer service delivery.

Other Amtrak trains that feature full china service include the Empire Builder (Chicago – Seattle/Portland), and Auto Train (Lorton, VA. – Sanford, FL).

In addition, this year Amtrak is performing an in-depth evaluation of other long-distance routes to identify and implement changes where possible to improve key measures such as customer service, ridership, and financial performance. The five routes being analyzed are the Sunset Limited (Los Angeles – New Orleans), Cardinal (New York – Cincinnati - Chicago), Texas Eagle (Chicago – San Antonio), Capitol Limited (Chicago – Washington, D.C.), and California Zephyr (Chicago – Emeryville/San Francisco).

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(sarcasm)

OH BOY!!! CORELLE CHINA!!!

WOWSER!!!

(/sarcasm)

The crockery and the napery is worth diddly if the victuals are not well prepared.

FRESH meats, FRESH veggies, hot biscuits, pies from the oven... those make for good dining.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are so right PUllman. Maybe they think if you have a good looking table people will not notice the quality of the food.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a child on UP 9 and 10 twice, the City of Saint Louis. I've had french toast.

I was a teen on Amtrak 17/18 (later 3/4) and 19/20 (the 1972 revival of the Chief). I've had ATSF French Toast and ribeye roast!

I was a young adult, returning home from college on Amtrak 14 from UC Santa Barbara. I've had a fresh burger off the broiler.

I've had pea soup, Wiener Schnitzel and rahmschnitzel on DSG in Germany, along with good wine. I've also had DSGs fruhstuck tray.

I'll admit I have french bread pizzas in the freezer now, but I didn't pay a double keystone over Schwan's prices to buy them. I've had bad beer, too, and didn't pay a double keystone for it.

Quality foodservice starts with the people and continues with the materials brought into the kitchen.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to traveling on the Starlight March 20th.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good, but I'd rather see AMTRAK spend their money repairing wreck-damaged cars and upgrading other older cars which tend to have so many mechanical problems (heat, A/C, plumbing problems, electrical problems, scratched and smudged windows, etc. -- it also wouldn't hurt some of the older cars (like the ones assigned to the Silver Service) to get fresh paint jobs).
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PullmanCo I like your sarcasm/humor. But I guess corelle is better than paper plates. Also,I might add....cocktails served in glassware would be very nice. I guess first class service should have a first class tavern lounge and dining section. Then upwards goes the cost of a sleeper ticket.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s....change those refurbished all day cafe cars into tavern lounge cars!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page