RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's new order

Author Topic: Amtrak's new order
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what it will be, I have heard about it when I had nothing to do, but nothing was detailed. I was wondering if any of you guys new anything about it. I also heard that they may be replacing the P-42s
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't head anything specific.

I wonder if any company really wants to bid on Amtrak passenger cars/equipment.

Pullman for sure, and I believe Bombardier as well ended up loosing money on the Superliners. Budd may have ended up loosing on the Amfleet as well.

And Bombardier went through nothing but grief with Acela. So it would be interesting if they ever try another Amtrak project.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First there need be an appropriation...nuff siad?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think the only major builder that I know of is Bombardier I don't know of any others, as Budd is gone. The request for the order is going to Congress when the C.E.O. goes to speak again
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has posted their Fleet Strategy Plan on their website (99 pages). It is downloadable. It includes new diesel and electric locomotives as well as single level and high level cars. A acquisition timetable is presented designed to both serve Amtrak's needs and those of a sustainable supplier base.

Of course the whole thing is dependent upon federal funding.

Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apart from Bombardier, other major builders include:
- Siemens (Germany)
- Hitachi (Japan)
- Alstom (France)
- Kawasaki (Japan)

There are also other, smaller companies around. Most of the above have been known to set up assembly lines in the country of the customer.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Thank you Dakguy 201, I've been trying to find that, and I didn't know the name. I would say after the Acella Bombardier might not want to get involved. I would say maybe Siemens trying to get it, and if I'm right they have a plant in the San Francisco area

[ 02-24-2010, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Moderator ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page