RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Penn to Washington Union

Author Topic: Penn to Washington Union
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would appreciate any information on the following, please.
My wife and I shall be trevelling from Penn Station to Washington DC in July. Speed is not important as we shall be on holiday and enjoy train travel.
What is the scenery like between NY and Washington?
We have already used the Acela from New York to Boston, on which stretch I believe this train reaches its highest speeds. What train would you recommend from NY to Washington? We have used Business Class on The Maple Leaf and found it more than adequate. Is Business Class on the Northeast Corridor the same?
Any recommendations for transport with two suitcases from Washington Union sation to the Arlington area?
Thank-you.
MGT

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save "a vista here and a vista there" between Wilmington and Baltimore (or more precisely, Fireman's side North East, MD to Chase, MD), you will quickly realize why both the Metroliner MU and Amfleet-I cars were designed with exceptionally small windows - in short, scenery is a virtual zero. This contrasts with travel along the Connecticut shoreline where I hold that Stonington to New Haven is one of the more scenic rides to be had in the Northeast.

Since you have already used Acela, the novelty is off and you are simply looking at a train ride with a hefty premium fare.

Now, so far as using Business Class over Coach on a Regional train, be mindful that "Business Class' is simply just another 70 seat Coach. However, such is at the head or rear of the train, which means they can and do "police' to ensure only those ticketed are in the car. In short, you are paying for the 'exclusivity'.

I guess I should point out that there is one amenity offered; complimentary soda pop, if that means anything.

All told, drawing an analogy with airlines, an airline could take an aircraft configured all Coach, then take one row of those seats, label them "First Class', and double the fare for seating in such. Be it assured, there would be takers. Some will say Corridor Business Class amounts to just that, but when I'm "out there", I always use it.

Oh well, P.T. Barnum always said "there's a sucker born every minute'. Guess GBN is of of 'em.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scenery through New Jersey is very industrial to say the least. Yes Wilmington through Baltimore has the best views. Yes on most trips I think the Acela saves only about 40 minutes and if you've every ridden on a commuter train the seats on the Metro-Linear will feel like a Eazy-Boy recliner.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when coming home we use Red TopCab (703 522 3333) the fare to Arlington is around $20. In any case do not ,I repeat do not use a D C cab. They do not usually know the area and will charge an arm and a leg.
We always use business class as we find it more comfortable. You can also get complimentary coffee and news papers (if they have them).
as to scenery I enjoy watching the little towns and industrial sites. Or you can always read. Also the business class seats have leg rests and regular coach doesn't

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scenery between NYP and WAS? I characterize it as northeast urban blight. With apologies to GBN, "if you've seen one graffiti-adorned concrete wall, you've seen them all." One thing you can do to pass the time is to clock the time between mileposts to check your speed; I clocked the Silver Meteor run at 110 mph in NJ for a bit, but then we were running late.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends what you call scenery, if buildings are your style then yes, you will love it. If it is trees, and rivers, then maybe not, even though after Wilmington it is good.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the practical advice so far. When I used "scenery" in my initial post I should have said "what can be seen on the route"? The views you get, particularly from trains, of the industrial infrastructure, past and present, can be interesting, at least the first time, if not as spiritually uplifting as the Rockies, Cascades or Scottish Highlands.
Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. MGT, I appreciate your open mindedness and willingness to accept what there is is what there is. Obviously there is nothing anywhere East of the Rockies to equal Ft. William-Mallaig.

There is also a good vista of Phila to the South seen from X-ing the Schuylkill and then as you proceed Southward to 30th St Station.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree that there is "0" scenery between NYP and WAS. I feel that this area offers a good mix of both urbanized industrial areas, as well as smaller towns (especially in MD), a few pretty river crossings (i.e. the Susquehanna River at Havre de Grace, the Bush River, etc.) On the east there are some nice views of Chesapeake Bay and the Delaware River also. The view of Philadelphia from the Schuylkill River Bridge is nice, as GBN states -- also the view of NYC as you approach it across the "Meadowlands" north of Newark, NJ, is nice. And don't forget the famous bridge in Trenton -- "Trenton Makes, the World Takes," which is still somewhat visible from the train, even though there is a newer highway bridge between the AMTRAK ROW and the more famous bridge now.

At the Wilmington station, look to the north, toward downtown, to see one of artist Robert Wyland's famous "whaling walls."

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ACELA is nice, and if you can afford it, you can even go ACELA First Class, which also entitles you to use the CLUB Acela lounges (the private ones with the bell you ring to access--I say this because the main lounge in NYP is now also labeled ACELA but it's not the Club Acela Lounge)--if you do go First Class only NYP to DC, be sure to check out the Club ACELA Lounge in DC on arrival too as it's nicer than the one in NYP. Depending on time of day ACELA First Class also includes a nicely served but still preprepared-type meal a well as beverages and snacks. Note, however, that there is actually very limited seating in ACELA First Class, and you want to be on the left facing forward as you leave NYP for DC (and the right facing forward if you are coming back DC to NYP).

Business class on the Regional is not quite as nice as the Maple Leaf, in my experience, though it can be less hectic at busy times of day. And if you happen to be leaving really early in the morning, I do esp recommend business class on the Carolinian.

In NYP, the thing to do regardless of what train you take is to use a REd Cap (you will need to tip him) who will get you on early and put you on the left side facing forward. That is the side for the best views NYP to WAS, such as they are. (If you are returning, you want to be right side facing forward).

As for what you pass:

As you leave NYP, you go through a tunnel under the Hudson River and then come out in New Jersey. Look back to see a bit of the view of the Manhattan skyline (this is better WAS to DC, of course)--you should at some points be able to see the Empire State Building. Continue looking out the window as you go through the area of weird canals and raised highways and tracks and whatnot, the "Ironbound" District of Newark, which is kinda cool in an industrial way. (I believe the high bridge on your left is part of the Kosciusko Skyway, or do I mean Pulaski?--anyway, named for one of the Polish emigre heroes of the American Revolution). After you stop in Newark (and Newark Airport?) you will see the old neighborhood of Elizabeth NJ on your left. After that there is little of interest in the rest of NJ that you will pass (imagine a state that names something Metropark and you get the picture) except for New Brunswick, home of Rutgers University (where the better view is actually on the right I think) and around where you cross the Raritan River. Otherwise, keep in mind that NJ is perhaps the most densely populated state in the US and that American suburbs are rather boring. Princeton NJ is a nice town, and you may stop nearby in Princeton Junction, but you cannot see the town from the train. Amuse yourself as you go through the industrially blighted and overdeveloped suburbs and business areas to remember that New Jersey once earned the nickname (still used) of the Garden State!

Finally, as you approach Trenton, the state capital, you pass some kinda campy giant sculptures on your left--I think there is one of a knight on horseback, or something. Then, after you stop in Trenton, you might see the state capitol building on the right, and there is one thing of high interest on the right as you cross the river, the bridge (parallel to yours) which has a big sign on it "Trenton Makes, the World Takes." Then you will be in Pennsylvania.

After this, you pass some factories and whatnot and go through mostly hideous urban blight in North Philadelphia until suddenly you will see (on your left) the balloon signalling the Philadelphia Zoo, the adjoining park, the skyline of downtown Philadelphia, and esp the lovely boathouses on the Schuylkill River, followed immediately by the old waterworks, and above on the hill, the Philadelphia Art Museum with the Rocky steps (there is even a statue of Rocky in his boxing gloves at the museum, but you won't see that from the train). You then go semi-underground into Philadelphia 30th St Station (which is very nice, but you won't see it from the train).

Right after this stop, there is a stadium (I think from U Penn) on your right, while the views on your left include occasional water (but trees in July will block it--you see lots more this time of year) and the very scary Chester Pennsylvania iron mill (I think it's an iron mill), usually with a flame or two burning--very very industrial. About 20 minutes after Philadelphia (I think you may cross more water) you come to Wilmington Delaware, with a reasonably attractive downtown (and station, which you sort of see a bit of)--you can see some nicely redone buildings on your left and an Amtrak HQ building too (after you leave the station, as I recall). From here to DC is the nicest part of the trip, because you cross 3 estuaries/rivers emptying into Upper Chesapeake, with very nice views on both sides, but nicer on the left because at one after you cross there is a very nice marina. You are in Maryland now and will also stop in Baltimore, which has famous poor neighborhoods of row houses you can see from the river.

From Baltimore to DC under an hour. Your approach from behind Union Station does not pass any of the scenic famous buildings of DC--you will have to wait until you get out of Union Station to see those (going out the main door you can see the Capitol right away!). Union Station itself is one of the nicest in the US--you should make sure to wander a bit in the main halls of the old part of it.

I have never had trouble with any taxi I got at Union Station but then again, I haven't gone as far as Arlington. I think the Metro may go there too--check with your hotel. I would say the Metro is usually manageable with luggage but it depends on time of day, the stop you are going to (check with the hotel to make sure it has a working elevator), and your own physical condition. The Metro Red Line adjoins Union Station--if you go to the main lobby, you can cut over to the right and out the side doors to it. Then you probably have to change for another line at a stop further down the line. So I suppose with all this, a taxi is better, but if you can stay in a hotel near Union Station, you would be better off. Why are you going to Arlington; are you staying with friends there?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the sheer fun of it and throwing caution to the wind we experienced Acela 1st class a couple of years ago to Boston; we were looked after by the excellent Javier?, who certainly livened up the trip, but did not go over the top. This has been our experience with most on-train Amtrak staff.
Thanks Trainlady for the practical advice on taxis.
Thanks Sojourner for taking so much trouble. We are going to a conference in Arlington, or at least Chrystal City. I appreciate the remarks about the Redcap. On the aforementioned trip to Boston we were asked on entering the Acela Club Lounge if we required a Redcap. We did, simply because they know the ropes. Unfortunately there was a changeover of desk personell and the replacement was the epitome of apathy. I was left having to hunt down a Redcap by myself after the train's arrival had been announced. He was very good. It is little things like this that can mar a holiday.
How long before departure time should I contact a Redcap? I have heard that the train/platform information for non-Acela Club passengers at Penn can be quite haphazard.

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I would say from experience from the long distance Florida trains, which sleepers can use the Club Acela. You should get the request a red cap as soon as you walk in, that way you get one. If you are in the main waiting room, they don't get you. You have to watch the monitors every few minutes. You also then have to compete to board the train, with everyone, which can be tough if your in a group. I would recommend first class off of that.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner the reason you have never had a taxi problem is because you have never gone to Arlington.Metro does go to Chrystle City (which is Arlington) but frankly I would rather not try to drag all my luggage on that train. If you only have a samll bag it would be ok. The Red line goes to D C and Maryland so staying in its vicinity for a connference in Va. doesn;t make sense.
We always get a red cap as soon as we get to the station. This applies to either long distance or NEC. They will get you aboaard early and you can get all settled before the mads crush. Especially in coach you can pick your seat.For the NEC he will take youbags and tell you where to sit and what time he will come back for you. Then board you. On the LD runs he will come to get you in the electric cart which I consider a nice perk. Also they will carry your bags on board for you.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stadium Seen comming out of the 30th Street Station is Franklin Field Built origionally in 1895 and strengtend in the 20's. Current home of Univ of Penn, former home of the Philadelphia Eagles from the late 50's to 1970. And home of the Penn Relays the longest running Track Meet in the United States. The Field has outlived both the Veterens and Giants Stadiums built in the 70's.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tanner929:
The Stadium Seen comming out of the 30th Street Station is Franklin Field Built origionally in 1895 and strengtend in the 20's. Current home of Univ of Penn, former home of the Philadelphia Eagles from the late 50's to 1970. And home of the Penn Relays the longest running Track Meet in the United States. The Field has outlived both the Veterens and Giants Stadiums built in the 70's.

I never knew that, that will be cool, for my next trip up
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
ome thing about the red caps I forgot to mention is just before you get to D C ask the conductor to call for a red cap and give him your name. That way one would be waitng for yu when you get in but only if he knows your name. Otherwise you may get Mr. Grump the one who could never understand that my husband and I NEEDED the electric cart for boyh us nd the luggage
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until I saw the words "New York" in the first post, I was going to run through the gamut of Penn Stations that Amtrak serves, the rest being Newark, Baltimore and Pittsburgh; don't know if any west of Pittsburgh are left with that name. (Was the Harrisburg PA station called "Penn Station" at one time, to distinguish from the Reading?)

BTW, this is JMHO, but the Raritan River crossing between Highland Park and New Brunswick in NJ (the latter still holding on in terms of Amtrak service) is pretty impressive in terms of views. (That's aside from the Rutgers campus.)

And as far as windows go, many of the Heritage Fleet cars that preceded the Amfleets also had rather small windows. Neither the Silverliners, Comets (Horizons) nor Amfleet/Metroliner set any precedent there.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page