RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cardinal or Capitol

Author Topic: Cardinal or Capitol
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having, with help from the site, made our reservation NY/Washington for July I have turned to next year's holiday which will be more extensive.
We shall use the South West Chief to get to LA. How to get to Chicago?
We have used the Lake Shore.
The Cardinal's departure time from NY is too early. But we could spend a few more days in Washington and catch the Cardinal there, on an appropriate day, probably Wednesday. But, compared to the Capitol it has no checked baggage and limited eating facilities.
What is the informal dining like and are meals still included in the bedroom price? We shall have two reasonable sized suitcases, which we could not accommodate in a bedroom; can these be forwarded to Chicago on a different train? My wife would be reluctant to leave them unattended at the end of the corridor, even if there is space there.
I presume the Cardinal route is more scenic than that of the Capitol and most of the the good stuff should be in daylight in the summer?
Rather than depend on the connection in Chicgo we will spend a few days there; we only had a fleeting look at the art gallery last time.
The Grand Canyon also features in our plans, including railway connection from Williams, but we do not intend leaving the South West Chief there. We will travel back with a car-owning american friend. Any suggestions on the best package from Williams to the Canyon? This will be a one-off visit for us so we can probably stretch the budget a bit!

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. mgt -- yes the Cardinal route is generally more scenic than the Capitol; however, in the summertime, much of the scenery will be obstructed by thick foliage and tree growth next to the tracks, especially through the New River Gorge. The trip along the Ohio River is also quite pretty; however, most of that will be passed overnight going west. And also the Cardinal route is longer than the Capitol Ltd route.

My wife and I will be on the Cardinal June 9-10 this summer, traveling from Washington to Crawfordsville, Indiana.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having ridden both trains countless times my personal preference is the Capitol. I think it is a more comfortable train. Years ago the scenery was better on the Cardinal but over time the foliage has grown up and even in the winter I find it obscures the view. As to baggage..once you check it in DC it will go to Chicago on whatever train leaves first. When you arrive it will be awaiting you. I have been traveling by train for many years and have yet to have a lost, misplaced or damaged luggage.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
addenda, when you get to the station get a red cap right away and tell him you want to check some bags through to Chicago. He will take you there and you will avoid the long lines.Then he will either take you to the lounge or tell you where it is and also tell you when he will be back to get you to your train. It is imporant to be there at the time he tells you. W leave our carry on luggage with him as well. He will give you a ticket for it and it is perfectly safe. That way you don't have to go dragging your bag around with you. It is well worth the tip which I usually make about $1 per bag including the checked ones.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We now have our tickets for North East Regional 125, 11.35 out of New York, Penn reserved. As this train originates in NY, can anyone tell me how long before departure time it is likely to be available for boarding? Or is this entirely down to operating circumsatances on any given day?
I have taken Trainlady's advice about Redcaps on board.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry this post should have been under "Penn to Washington Union"!
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on "operating circumstances", but usually around 20-30 minutes before departure. It originates in NY, but it has to come through the East River tunnel from Sunnyside Yard, so anything is possible.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often the trains are announced in NY only 10 minutes before departure, but a red cap can put you on a little earlier. I strongly advise you use one there!

With regard to which train you take to Chicago, I prefer the Capital LTd because it has an observation car and you can see the scenery better. However, there's no question the Cardinal passes some gorgeous scenery, and if you go in June you should be able to see much of it even westbound, as long as the train isn't late. It sounds like you are not making a round trip, right? I would suggest you consider doing your trip in the other direction if possible--both the Capital Ltd and the Cardinal (esp if it's late) are even more scenic, lightwise, eastbound.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related to this discussion on Neew York Penn, but in a post-9/11 world, how wide open are the stairwells to Amtrak tracks from the LIRR level?

They used to be a "sieve" in the otherwise "fortress" and made railfanning circa 60's quite "open'

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the same thing, Gil. If one knew the track assignment for a departing train "back in the day", it was an easy task to slip down to the platform before the train was "called." Not sure about the setup nowadays.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the Arrival blackboard on the LIRR level and the Telautograph (edit) machine that cryptically would write things such as 28/12/925? Even if the public knew or cared less, a railfan knew that meant The Broadway would arrive on Track 12 at 925A (5" early).
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
They had one of those "Telautograph" machines at the separate "arrival station" at GCT when I used to "railfan" there as a kid. Finally figured out the train nos. and track designations that would show up there first as the arriving train passed 138th St. or so. Took me a long time before I figured out that "Y" before a number meant a New Haven train was arriving, not a New York Central ("Y" for "Yankee"). That was a legacy of Mr. Vanderbilt himself, who always hated the "tenant railroad" in his domain.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page