RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Top 20 Best Looking Amtrak Stations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 20 Best Looking Amtrak Stations
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the category of "bad stations Amtrak used to stop at but thankfully doesn't anymore..."

1) Thompson, UT (Route of 5 and 6)
(Falling down white clapboard shack, and a
Flagstop, to boot.)

2) Borie, WY (When 5 and 6 ran across Wyoming)
(Concrete platform, openly exposed to -20 below
in winter) --The stop for Cheyenne--

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On an auto trip during 2K, I stopped off at the Green River UT station that is located well to the West of a rather desolate town. Suffice to say "not overly impressed".

However, I think that station did have a pay phone as all Amtrak stops had such back then. Obviously that requirement has been forgotten about nowadays (there used to be two of such at our METRA station - not anymore).

But guess what, I DO have a cell phone that was last used March 5 for both an incoming and outgoing call. This was because I dropped it and I wanted to see if it survived (it did). Otherwise, it is just a $13.73 "tax" (Verizon's minimum charge for no usage) that shows up each month and has to be paid.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
How about the Top 20 WORST Amtrak stations, just to add a little levity?

Good candidates would have to be the one at Essex, Montana -- just a 50-foot slab of cracked asphalt -- and the AmShack at Granby, Colorado.

Maybe Alpine, Texas -- no platform at all, just a looooong way down to the step box on the slanted roadbed.

Williams Junction? Slab with light pole.
Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garden City, Kansas [IMG]

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/12044015.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sfthunderchief:
Williams Junction? Slab with light pole.

Yeah that's a bad one.

But it is really all they need since the Grand Canyon bus serves as the waiting room.

Not worth the expense to build a station there.

The original Santa Fe depot at Williams Junction was a very unique and modern building for the line. It was built in the early 1960s and eventually torn down in the mid 1980s. I've seen a photo of it before, and I wish there was an online photo I could share, but I can't find any.

The location is a real good one for railfanning high speed freights.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst big city station: Birmingham, AL. A tiny waiting room that looks like the entrance to a storage room under the railroad viaduct. Shared parking lot with trucks being filled with some kind of liquid from tank cars parked on the viaduct above. The old L&N station stood dormant for years a couple hundred feet away but has since been demolished. Shameful for such a big city.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had always hoped that Birmingham would eventually ressurect the L&N station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Birmingham "might" be worse than Houston...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Silver Star, is this what you have in mind when you address the "old station"?

http://stagmiesalrailpics.homestead.com/bhamsta1_copy.jpg

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only image I could find of the old Williams ATSF station:
http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/dkspencer/Depots/ATSF/Williams_AZ.jpg

Was there another station built at Williams Junction? Would it have been in the middle of nowhere like the slab is now?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
On an auto trip during 2K, I stopped off at the Green River UT station that is located well to the West of a rather desolate town. Suffice to say "not overly impressed".

However, I think that station did have a pay phone as all Amtrak stops had such back then. Obviously that requirement has been forgotten about nowadays (there used to be two of such at our METRA station - not anymore).

But guess what, I DO have a cell phone that was last used March 5 for both an incoming and outgoing call. This was because I dropped it and I wanted to see if it survived (it did). Otherwise, it is just a $13.73 "tax" (Verizon's minimum charge for no usage) that shows up each month and has to be paid.

Mr. Norman: If memory serves me (and it probably doesn't) I thought there is or once was a pay phone in the parlour car of the Coast Starlight. Maybe it is no longer there...due to the fact so many people have cell phones. Are there pay telephones on any of the other Amtrak trains?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, Richard, I was addressing a plain old land line pay phone, but to address your extension of the topic to include on-board public phones, it appears that Railfone is gone, gone gone (so is for that matter AirFone).
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
First, Richard, I was addressing a plain old land line pay phone, but to address your extension of the topic to include on-board public phones, it appears that Railfone is gone, gone gone (so is for that matter AirFone).

I know you were talking about a land-line pay phone. However, I think it might have been a good idea to keep the "railphone" on board. Not all people remember or think of taking a cell phone with them. Not everyone has a cell phone (I reisisted for a long time). For emergencies or semi-emergencies I think it would be nice to have a pay cell phone service on board).

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
The only image I could find of the old Williams ATSF station:
http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/dkspencer/Depots/ATSF/Williams_AZ.jpg

Was there another station built at Williams Junction? Would it have been in the middle of nowhere like the slab is now?

That's the Williams depot, actually in the city of Williams. It's still there and used for the Grand Canyon Railway.

The Williams Junction depot was in the middle of nowhere exactly where the present day slab is now. I've explored the area and there are, or were, still some remnants of the original slab...although that could be gone now.

Doing some more digging I found out that the Glendale, Arizona depot was similar to the Williams Junction depot. And yes from the photo I saw of the Williams Junction depot I would agree that they are somewhat similar. Here is a link to the brief write up about it:

Glendale, Arizona Depot

Here is what the Glendale one currently looks like:

-

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page