RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New rail-borne mystery novel from Jim Lehrer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New rail-borne mystery novel from Jim Lehrer
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Lehrer, the PBS news guy, is a pretty good mystery novelist, and his new one, coming in April, is set aboard the Super Chief in the 1950s and involves Harry Truman and others. I've already reserved a copy.

The Amazon.com page is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Novel-Jim-Lehrer/dp/1400067634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269381348&sr=1-1

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reserved a copy, too.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip, Mr Kisor!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to reserve a copy at the library so I put a hold on it.I just moved from a 10 room house to a one bedroom, den apt so I don't have room for new additions now. I already gave the library over 300 books. I am # 5 on the hold list so It may be Thanksgiving before I get the book. But so be it!! Please those of you who red it send along a review
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
I decided to reserve a copy at the library so I put a hold on it.I just moved from a 10 room house to a one bedroom, den apt so I don't have room for new additions now. I already gave the library over 300 books. I am # 5 on the hold list so It may be Thanksgiving before I get the book. But so be it!! Please those of you who red it send along a review

I got tickets to get a signed copy and hear his upcoming presentation at meeting at Kansas City Union Station.
Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/what was the presntation like? Did it perk your interest? Which reminds me how is your book coming along, Henry?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
The book came through much more quickly than I expected and I got it today. I just finished it and I must say I was disappointed. I thought it moved very slowly, too many characters and almost disjointed. About 1/3 through I figured out the plot and endings (which I won't go into for the sake of those who want to read it ) and it was all down hill from there. I have enjoyed other boks of his much more. I would be interested in the opinions of others.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't yet read the book but found this Booklist review:

"Many of Lehrer’s 19 previous novels showcased his abiding love for simpler times: mid-twentieth-century America, the small-town Midwest, and the intercity bus lines of that time and region. This time out, he focuses his attention on the Super Chief, the luxurious Sante Fe Railroad train that carried the rich and famous from Chicago to Los Angeles in just over 39 hours. Set in 1956, the tale involves three mysterious deaths, former president Harry Truman, actor Clark Gable, a movie producer whose last picture flopped, and a callow, movie-loving Sante Fe passenger agent. It’s Lehrer in typically fine form: wonderful detail about railroad operations and life on the Super; small prairie towns that owed their existence to the Sante Fe; Hollywood’s worries about television; rail’s apparent lack of worry about airlines; gossip about Gable’s prodigious womanizing; and concerns about radiation from nuclear tests in Nevada. Remarkably, however, the book’s central events are true, as Lehrer testifies in an epilogue. Lehrer is a national treasure, and Super is, well . . . super." --Thomas Gaughan

I'm a mystery novelist myself, and know that different readers will have different experiences with the same book. Some people love the "furniture" with which a novelist dresses a book, and some people think that just throws molasses into the gears of the plot.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
I have the distinct feeling that Mr. Gaughan and I have read different books.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm back in the barn.

I can only hope that Mr. Lehrer researches material more throughly than did David Baldacci when he wrote Christmas Train.

Something tells me with that one, either he or more likely a Research Assistant rode the Capitol Limited from Wash to Chicago, but when it came to continuing the journey aboard the Southwest Chief, imaginations ran wild.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not all the way through the book, but I think I can guess the rest of the plot. To my taste there is much too much of the "furniture" regarding the Santa Fe and the Super Chief, while the characters are cardboard cutouts. I'd advise Mr. Lehrer to keep his daytime job.
Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this could be classified as a book for the beach (or airplane). Not much to it but mildly amusing, especially for those of us who are into trains. While Lehrer gets many of the train details right there are some glaring goofs - don't think I've ever seen a bathroom in a roomette.

Maybe Mr. Buffet will read it. Wouldn't you love to see the BNSF take over passenger operations on their railroad. In the very unlikely event that happened I am sure we would see a return of the Super Chief name - and the service to match.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Mr. Lehrer tonight at KC Union Station. It was a nice event, especially for him being entertained aboard Kansas City Southern's business train for dinner. Anyone could have gotten tickets to have dinner with him ($250 a person).

The KCS business train was beautiful in the late afternoon sun illuminating the red, yello and almost black locomotives and rail cars.

It leaves tomorrow morning (probably with Lehrer aboard as guest for Stillwater, from what was being rumored tonight.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Palmland, didn't the old single-passenger roomettes have toilets?
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Yes they did. They were miserable at night because the bed came down over the toilet.Therefore one had the option of lifting the bed up or going down the hall to use the "public" one.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, as Trainlady notes, they did have a toilet and a sink, but in the same room with the seat/bed. However, in the book the stowaway was instructed to hide in the bathroom of the roomette if anyone knocked.

I liked the layout of the old roomette. Since it was designed for only one person, the facilities in the room were very convenient. Now it is true that it did require raising the bed at night to use the toilet. But somehow I don't remember that as a problem. Probably because my plumbing was more efficient in those days.

The newer roomettes had a cutaway bed so you could lift the bed without having to back out into the hall (with the curtain to give you some privacy).

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got this book from the library and hope to have time to read it too.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never would have made it through an Evelyn Wood course. That being said; it seems the conductor on The Super is "nearly" in charge the whole long way. Didn't they have time limits in the "good" old days? Enjoyed the book, but not nearly as much as the Phoney Marine.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Rodger, Hours of Service has been law of the land for as long as I have followed railroad industry affairs.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I suspect that Lehrer did not have a couple of railroad industry experts read his manuscript before it was sent to the publisher. But perhaps that was not a fatal oversight if his errors remain small ones.

(I have just downloaded the e-book to my iPod Touch and will be reading it over the next week.)

sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
A link related to the Jim Lehrer author lecture tour. The videos are embedded in the first image.

April 30th.

1: KCS business train preparing to depart Union Station Kansas City: 6:15 am
2: KCS business train departing Union Station. On the back platform are two men. Mike Haverty KCS president and CEO in black suit. Jim Lehrer in light blue sport coat.
3: KCS business train at speed (about 50MPH) running south over 150 highway just north of Richards-Gebaur AFB and multi-modal terminal.

The night before Lehrer said of his visit to Kansas City Union Station "It doesn't get better than this." That's certainly true when given the royal treatment with dinner aboard this train and a private excursion hosted by the president of the railroad.

http://picasaweb.google.com/114428075704987683849/20100502201431

http://picasaweb.google.com/114428075704987683849/20100502201431#5467592236732931202

http://picasaweb.google.com/114428075704987683849/20100502201431#5467590804367436178

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sfthunderchief, those are great videos. RGAFB was my first duty assignment in the Air Force back in 1965-1966, and I met by bride of 44 years in Kansas City while stationed there. I thought the "base" closed a long time ago; does it still retain its name, and what is its use today?

We lived off-base in Grandview, not far from the KCS tracks, and can remember seeing the Southern Belle go through back in the day.

Your videos took us back!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
sfthunderchief, those are great videos. RGAFB was my first duty assignment in the Air Force back in 1965-1966, and I met by bride of 44 years in Kansas City while stationed there. I thought the "base" closed a long time ago; does it still retain its name, and what is its use today?

We lived off-base in Grandview, not far from the KCS tracks, and can remember seeing the Southern Belle go through back in the day.

Your videos took us back!

sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Ocala Mike: Richards Gebaurer will probably always be known by that name, it's after sort of a district. KSC developed a major inter-modal terminal there (a great money make and employer). The spot I chose for that shot was recommended by one of the KCS Railroad detectives with the clear shot of the train approaching at speed. The weather was rainy and dreary and if it had been sunny the train would have been very bright in the morning sun. But the approach shot was still ok, and I didn't have much time to be choosy.
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sfthunderchief:
Ocala Mike: Richards Gebaur will probably always be known by that name, it's after sort of a district. KSC developed a major inter-modal terminal there (a great money make and employer). The spot I chose for that shot was recommended by one of the KCS Railroad detectives with the clear shot of the train approaching at speed. The weather was rainy and dreary and if it had been sunny the train would have been very bright in the morning sun. But the approach shot was still ok, and I didn't have much time to be choosy.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I was able to read the book. I liked it all right but like a lot of books nowadays I found it very skimpy--glad I got it from the library and didn't shell out big bucks for it! Nothing much really happened in it; it was mostly "furniture," I think. I don't mind the lack of characterization but would have liked more of a plot, since it is supposed to be a novel with a mystery or such. In that regard it seemed like the outline of a book than an actual book. It didn't go anywhere, didn't make any point, but it did capture the local color and "wallpaper" of the times pretty nicely, more like a travel memoir than a novel. It did get me interested in the Super Chief, though, and even in the Randallites. Why doesn't the SW Chief take the same route?
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Finally read the book. I basically agree with Sojourner that the "furniture" was interesting but the actual mystery went nowhere. Not one of Lehrer's better novels, I'm afraid.

I am not that much of an operations expert, but I did spot the two mistakes others have referred to -- hiding in the bathroom in a roomette and a conductor on duty the whole way, ignoring the hours of service law. Neither was a huge mistake, in my opinion. The character of the conductor was very minor and it would have been easy for Lehrer to fix that in manuscript if somebody had suggested it.

I did enjoy all the nostalgia for the Super Chief -- and the thread about the amorous character of Clark Gable. There were many good set-piece scenes.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Kisor, if you have read (even if I think it is a waste of time) "The Christmas Train' by David Baldachhi, do you think those flagrant technical errors can be discounted?
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I'm afraid I've never read anything by Baldacci. Not my cup of tea.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
I think the thing that bothered me most was it was a nice little story but not the "spine tingling" mystery I expected.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

This Chicago Sun-Times review pretty much sums up this thread:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/books/2270978,super-jim-lehrer-051610.article

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Amen!!!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr Kisor, your successor colleague makes Mr. Lehrer's novel sound a bit like "Ship of Fools". Maybe when I get done with this (300 pages down 300 to go), I'll try some fiction.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

GBN, you are so right. Nearly all travel narratives, both fiction and nonfiction, follow the themes and structure of the Katherine Anne Porter classic. Fools and knaves are much more interesting to read about than saints and sissies.

The trick, however, is to develop the characters. Lehrer has done this much better in other novels.

By the way, the writer of the Sun-Times piece is a freelancer, not one of my successors.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mr Kisor, your successor colleague makes Mr. Lehrer's novel sound a bit like "Ship of Fools". Maybe when I get done with this (300 pages down 300 to go), I'll try some fiction.

Mr. Kisor, have things gone SO downhill at BOTH Chicago papers that yours (and likely the other guys as well) no longer has a staff reviewer?

Wonder why I read The Times.

As for my current missive, it is now 360 down 240 to go. I'm almost afraid to take it on my trip to New York (flying) tomorrow; seems as if the events chronicled within the work (the 9/15/08 financial markets near-collapse), were actually unfolding while I was out there (well, Greenwich) during Sep 2008 for my Nephew's wedding. As likely many here know, the Markets have been "acting up' again of late - and here comes this 'bad penny" again out to 'ground zero'.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, was underwhelmed by this book. Too much of the story was telegraphed to the reader too early.

I do have a question, however, about the location of the Turquoise Room. I was always under the impression that it was located beneath the dome lounge. Was this car directly behind or in front of the diner? If not, where was the food prepared?

Frank in gorgeous SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Yes, the Turquoise Room was on the lower level of the dome lounge which was always operated adjacent to the diner and served from the diner's kitchen. The UP Gold Room had a slightly different setup--I'm not sure whether it was in the short main-floor end of the dome diner with the kitchen under the dome or vice versa. GBN was fortunate enough to have experienced the UP dome diners; perhaps he can elaborate.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having looked through my copy of Dubin's Some Classic Trains I see that the UP's dome diners seated 18 in the dome (3 2-top tables, 3 4-top tables), 18 on the main floor at round tables (unusual) for 2 and 4, and 10 in the Gold Room under the dome (not pictured). The kitchen, by process of elimination, must have been in the short end of the main floor.

Must...get...time...machine...working!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I do recall riding on UP's City of Denver/Portland in 1966 and '68. On both trips, my most vivid memory was how much I liked the dome lounge car. For some reason it reminded me of an old style wood paneled private clubroom, quite the opposite of the Superliner Lounge. Maybe because there were so few people in it. My impression of the dome diner was how smooth and quiet it was as it seemed to float on the bridge across the Mississippi.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Meant to mention: I notice Super Chief left from Dearborn Station, which I saw while in Chicago, though it's just mainly offices and a restaurant now. Still, interesting building to see. . .
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page