RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Glacier Nat'l Park ..need advice

Author Topic: Glacier Nat'l Park ..need advice
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might use a rail "expert" travel agent.
This is just in the planning stages for now. But summer travel can be difficult for bookings although our dates are flexible. Even September is fine. My friend and I are planning to take the Empire Builder (full bedroom) either out of Chicago or Portland (we've been to Seattle) with a several day sojourn at the park. Should we do it eastbound or westbound? It might be whatever is available. Isaac Walton (tempting for me), or Glacier Park Lodge? So far I'm not planning a car rental but intend to use those Red tour vans. If we do the westbound I'm planning to depart from Trenton and connect in D.C. to the Capitol Ltd. The Lake Shore out of NY Penn is a possibility but the fare for the smaller viewliner bedroom seems to show more $$ than a full bedroom on the Capitol. As always my fellow well heeled train travelers are well informed and give welcoming advice. We haven't traveled long distance on Amtrak (Coast Starlight) since 1994. We will return home by plane. The one way coach fares to/from Newark and Philadelphia Int'l have become costly again. So much so that a first class ticket can cost only about $200 more. By the time we pay the extra fees if we have to check luggage,etc. it might better to fly "up front". I hope we can make this trip. So feel free to offer info. Thanks so much!

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been many years since I took my lads to Glacier Park, but some things stay the same. The lodges and the jammers (the red buses) are wonderful, but both fill up early and fast. Even for a September sojourn I wouldn't wait before making reservations.

For Glacier Park it might be wise to have a knowledgeable travel agent do the reservations. The bus reservations can be complex, especially if you are staying at several lodges within the park.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isaac Walton is great.....my wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon.

Should you not be renting a car, be aware that beyond the lodge itself, there are very few services available in Essex, MT. A Convienence Store about 3/4 of a mile down US 2 is about it.

I know this because we needed to make a Diet Pepsi run the first morning. There were, at the time, no vending machines on the property and my wife wanted more than the 12 ounce glass available from the hotel restaurant!!!!!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry: Thanks! Early reservations seem to be the expected challenge for red jammer tours,the train accomodations,etc. A travel agent might be the way to go.

David: Thanks for the tip on the Isaac Walton Inn. ihave to revisit their website or call to get the details. The red jammer buses pick up tourists atthe inn until Sept.15.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 20th Century:
I might use a rail "expert" travel agent.
This is just in the planning stages for now. But summer travel can be difficult for bookings although our dates are flexible. Even September is fine. My friend and I are planning to take the Empire Builder (full bedroom) either out of Chicago or Portland (we've been to Seattle) with a several day sojourn at the park. Should we do it eastbound or westbound? It might be whatever is available. Isaac Walton (tempting for me), or Glacier Park Lodge? So far I'm not planning a car rental but intend to use those Red tour vans. If we do the westbound I'm planning to depart from Trenton and connect in D.C. to the Capitol Ltd. The Lake Shore out of NY Penn is a possibility but the fare for the smaller viewliner bedroom seems to show more $$ than a full bedroom on the Capitol. As always my fellow well heeled train travelers are well informed and give welcoming advice. We haven't traveled long distance on Amtrak (Coast Starlight) since 1994. We will return home by plane. The one way coach fares to/from Newark and Philadelphia Int'l have become costly again. So much so that a first class ticket can cost only about $200 more. By the time we pay the extra fees if we have to check luggage,etc. it might better to fly "up front". I hope we can make this trip. So feel free to offer info. Thanks so much!

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20th Century -- as others have said, I too vote for Izaak Walton Inn. And you DO have to make your jammer reservations early (i.e. before you even leave for your vacation!) -- I think they have a web site, and the jammer will pick you up right at Izaak Walton.

If you find that you do need a car, Izaak Walton has a few local only rental cars available (which you can rent if you want to go back into GNP after your jammer tour to spend more time or to see additional features). Izaak Walton's rental cars too must be reserved well ahead of time.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
I spoke with a rail travel agent. She also recommended the Isaac Walton in lieu of the Glacier Lodge. But I also would like to be near a small village where there are some shops,etc.
might want to do an hour of horseback riding. Will that be available at either lodge?

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try these two websites:

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/horseback-rides.htm
shows which park lodges have horseback riding.

http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/
I do not see horseback riding offered at first glance.

The most variety of shops would be in Apgar, a village just a few miles into the park from the West Glacier (Belton) Amtrak stop. My preference as an Amtrak destination is usually Whitefish, with checked baggage and rental cars at the station, and many wonderful shops and eateries. With reservations, the car rental companies will meet you at the train. It is an easy 20 mile drive on flat wide highway to the park.

If you are into bike rental, Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish is excellent. There is a paved bike path from Belton to Apgar that is back in the woods and flat. Bikes are not allowed on some park roads after 11 am due to traffic and narrow shoulders.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Thanks TwinStarRocket. Those sites are also helpful. I did make use of a travel agent (Accent On Travel). They have been most helpful.
Looks like we will departing Trenton (8/18) on a Regional to D.C. where we will be board the Capitol Ltd. Staying in Chicago overnight. Then riding the EB to Glacier Park for (4 night package) at Isaac Walton Inn with Redjammer tour, whitewater rafting lite, and horseback riding. Then onto Portland for 3 nights. I'm getting very excited already. It's been a while since I've used Amtrak's LD service. Looking forward to it. We fly back to Philadelphia Int'l via United operated by US Airways.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page