RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report: WOR to SAN

Author Topic: Trip Report: WOR to SAN
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to record a few highlights of a recent round-trip from Worcester, MA to San Diego, CA. (Mar. 2 -18). As usual, though Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England, I was one of just two or three boarding and the only sleeper passenger. This was my first trip since the Boston sleeper has been put back on. The attendant, Joel Lutz, greeted me by name. After my ticket was taken he guided me back to the cafe car where I had a nice lunch. He acted as a waiter and sat talking with me for a while.

At Albany the New York section is added. Supper was in one of the restored heritage dining cars that not long ago replaced the so-called "diner lite" cafe cars. Great improvement! Because of the placement of the Boston Sleeper, a trip to the diner requires traversing 6 coaches and two cafe cars (one unused). The Lake Shore Limited kept on schedule all the way and arrived at CHI 25 minutes early.

The Southwest Chief conductor collected tickets in the Metropolitan Lounge. My roomette was #14, on the lower level. Although I prefer upstairs, there are certain advantages to being down under. It was very quiet, as only one other room there was booked and no one was in the Family Room. This was one of the renovated Superliner 1 sleepers. The rest rooms and shower were completely different and I think much better. The sink and toilet had that color simulating black granite. The attendant says that he has less space for storage since the cars were redone. He had a lot of things stacked in the Family Room.

My favorite scenery on the Southwest Chief is between Trinidad and Lamy. The views along the front of Glorieta Mesa and in the canyons north of Lamy were striking.

Breakfast is served 5:00 to 6:00 AM on the last day but that is no problem for people whose bodies are still on Eastern or Central time. Arrival in LAX was a half-hour early. Paying the little bit extra for Business Class on the Surfliner is worth it in my opinion. I love that car with its morning pastries and juice, afternoon snack pack, newspaper and personal attendant.

The trains on my return trip were also on time. I had an upstairs room on the Southwest Chief and recognized the attendant, Simon, from a trip in 2009. Passengers in Chicago board the LSL early and are invited to a reception in the dining car with crackers, cheese, grapes and wine. This time we were back to the cafe car diner, as the heritage one was out of service for some reason. My sleeper attendant this time was Elizabeth, a native of Liberia - very pleasant and talkative woman. She told me she usually works the Zephyr.

Passengers to Massachusetts were being bussed from Albany because of CSX track work. I boarded a bus taking people to Pittsfield, Worcester and Framingham. Boston passengers went on a bus taking a more direct route. I was surprised that the bus arrived at the stations at exactly the scheduled time for the train.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report. It sounds like a trip I might like to do in the Fall.

I'm probably going to be off the Forum for awhile. We are leaving today for Miami and a 26 day cruise (2 B2B cruises one to Rome and the other in the Eastern Mediterranean. We will leave about the time Miss Vicki and Mr. Art return from their 33 day cruise!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good report! Did you notice an improvement in the quality of the service as well as the attitudes of the crew, as I did on my recent trips?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful report, abd so glad you were on time. I am surprised so few people get on in Worcester, though. It seems to me when I've gone coach on the Boston to Albany spur there were a few more--though most boarded in Boston. The stop that is amazingly underused is Pittsfield. If there were a quicker way to get from Pittsfield to NYP or better service Boston to Pittsfield I suspect it might get more use.

There have always been quite a few folks going to western NY from Boston on the train.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner, maybe they ought to bring back "The Berkshire" for NYP to Pittsfield service.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,

With regard to service and attitude: the four sleeper attendants were all excellent - got beds down and up when requested, were usually around the car. Dining car steward came around for lunch and dinner reservations, called people in on time. Some of this may be because passenger loads were quite light on the trains I was on.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
sojourner, maybe they ought to bring back "The Berkshire" for NYP to Pittsfield service.

Hey, how about in time for my 50th at South Kent School during 2011. "Back in my day', The Berkshire made a special stop at South Kent (Woodrow) whenever School recessed ("Freedom Train') or convened ("Prison Train"). So let's get that service back up and running so this ol' 'lum can have his door to door train ride.

Anyone REALLY think this is what I hold? Well, here's a little "sing along'.

Finally, any here who subscribe to the NHRHTA Shoreliner magazine (don't bother to go on line as they are very protective of their copyrighted material - as they should be) will find an upcoming article on a 1941 derailment occurring within sight of the School. The New Haven (I'm pretty sure; to confirm I asked the Alumni Affairs Coordinator to look for the number, but much as I love Carol-Ann in this life, something tells me she did not know where to look - I'm probably the only living alum who knows of this - safe to say that the '33 lum who showed such to me is long gone) donated the bell from the wrecked locomotive to the School where it is still in use today.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page