RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » More Studies and Pols take a train ride

Author Topic: More Studies and Pols take a train ride
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/politics/state_politics/good-chance-for-high-speed-rail-line

Ray Lahood and CT Reps took a ride from New Haven to Hartford. Most of the money received has gone to studies I think they avg one every 5 years. I don't think its important that it be high speed just that it runs more on a commuter schedule and more funds are needed for expanded parking along many of the stops. Amtrak schedules are more like airline schedules not like local commuter rail lines another reason the New Haven-Springfield line is always empty.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/lamont_to_transform_union_/

Another politician rides the New Haven line in Connecticut. Nice ideas but can Connecticut ever give up its addiction to road projects?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Tanner, do you really think Connecticut favors roads?

Sure seems to me that they have done less than nothing to meet current traffic levels on I-95; when it opened during 1957 and was known as the Connecticut Turnpike, it was three lanes in each direction, well what is it today?

If anyone can tell me what that facility on the NB side is at Byram near where the toll plaza was (yup, it was toll) I'd sure like to know. What I do know is that taxpayers ponied up for a facility that I don't think many have any idea of its use.

I have long since given up trying to navigate the Greenwich Gauntlet; when I come out, it seems as if my flight always arrives at KHPN about 430P - just in time to hit the Gauntlet. Last trip during May, the Gauntlet was so bad that I ducked off at Arch Street and took the Post Road on to my Greenwich Hyatt destination.

The prevalent attitude of New Jersey to provide needed transportation to move people through the Metropolitan Area simply does not exist in CT - it is also nice that Jersey definitely seems to favor the rail mode. Connecticut's mode is simply "no mode".

I'm sure when I come back for my "fiftieth" at South Kent School, I'll find that the same curves on US7 when I was a student are still there - Litchfield County is the worst of the wasteland.

It is really a wonder that The Berkshire survived until A-Day.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like you guys like how NJ has valued rail travel. Not to mention they have their buses ready at the station to provide good service. That is why a commuter train wouldn't work in my area. As the bus system isn't the best. Plus nothing is in range of the station where people go except one proposed stop. So NJ has it right, with the bus and train. I do think in CT that high speeds aren't needed for the shuttle. Just for it to be more appealing the commuter. With better parking.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, other "pols" (of sorts) were also out riding today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ns/nightly_news/#38047865

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Mr. Norman,

Ah if only you knew, Road work is a state symbol. Unfortantly much of the time they are rebuilding the original roads, either expanding them or rebuilding them correctly. I think the state leads the nation in left side exit ramps. For a small state there is no direct highway from New Haven to Danbury or even New Haven to Waterbury. Also they will not let you into Litchfield County if you talk about easy access to anything, its hard to get a signal on your cell phone out there. Of course if you asked anyone in lower fairfield county about how difficult it is to get to the around the states northern counties they would look at you oddly and wonder why you would need to get on 95 North?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page