RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » East Coast Travel

Author Topic: East Coast Travel
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at actually venturing east of the Mississippi next spring. The plan includes rail travel between Washington DC and Philly and then Philly to NYC. Is this where the much talked about ACELA is for me or is there something else I should use? I would use AGR points and wonder how that plays out with the various zones and regions.

We would then travel NYC to CHI. Looks like two regions even though only 19 hours. Will AGR grab 30,000 points from me for my bedroom? The LSL is the way to go, yes? Will connect with the Chief.

Any tidbits you can share would be appreciated.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you prefer Superliner trains, you may want to journey down the corridor and catch the Capitol Limited from Washington, DC to Chicago.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, we will have already traveled thru DC as we start in Florida and end in NYC.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going FL, I hope you take the Meteor to Charleston, SC. Late March, early April are prime times for seeing that fascinating city with great food, as well as viewing the plantation gardens.

A day trip on the Palmetto from Charleston to Washington lets you see the rest of the south in daylight (and save some AGR points).

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Vicki,

I did catch that you would have already traveled through DC......

For various reasons the last couple or three years riding the corridor train back to DC and catching the Cap Ltd has been a preferred option for getting to Chicago from the east coast.

In my case, I prefer the Superliner sleeping cars to the Viewliners. For others it was a matter of dining car availability....until only a month or two ago the Cap Limited offered the nearest thing to 'real' full-service dining between Chicago and the Midwest. This has improved as enough Heritage Diners were recently patched up and returned to service on the Lake Shore.

Regardless of your ultimate choice, I am sure you'll have a great trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki: How are you getting to Florida? If you are flying, then I would esp second David P's recommendation of going back west on the Cap Ltd. The Lakeshore Ltd is lovely on the left side (river side) for the first 2-1/2 hours up the Hudson (if light)--but remember, there is no sightseer lounge of the sort you know out west (none of FL trains either); the Cap Ltd is very nice all the way until dark and does have a sightseer lounge. The situation of the stop at Harpers Ferry is simply glorious. AGR will book you on a Regional (not ACELA) NYP to DC and the Cap Ltd to Chicago if you ask; try to get an earlier Regional than they automatically offer so you have time for a short DC stopover with lunch etc. You will be able to use the NYP and the WAS Union Station First-Class Club ACELA lounges (the one with the private access/you ring a bell) on the day you are traveling in your sleeper, even if you don't pick up your sleeper till DC--the DC Club ACELA is quite nice, and you can leave your luggage in it for free when you arrive (at your own risk of course; I wouldn't leave a valuable computer or jewelry something like that) so you can go out for lunch or whatever and be back to catch your Cap Ltd.

Re AGR: Are you planning a Chicago stopover, or planning to fly back from Chicago? If not, use your AGR points NYP to Denver, or NYP to Albuquerque (depending on which western train you are taking), for the same points as NYP to Chicago. You can still book it with a Regional to DC and the Cap Ltd. An alternative is to book for 1 zone to Toledo and go into coach from Toledo to Chicago, but then you have to get up very early in the morning to change rooms (if the train is on time) and are probably not entitled to breakfast (again, depending on whether or not the train is on time).

Re ACELA: It is quicker, and nicer than most Regionals, but busy. I would suggest trying it once. Note that when you do, you do not get access to Club ACELA Lounges unless you take ACELA first class.

One tip: In NYP, regardless of what train you are taking, use a red cap to put you on the train. It's worth the tip as he can usually board you earlier. Otherwise boarding can be very hectic, depending on time of day when you travel, of course.) Also, sit on the left side facing forward NYP to DC; on the right side facing facing DC (or PHI) to NYP for the better views--though DC to NYP is one of the least scenic routes, there are a few things to see. Right after you pull out of Philly heading north (or right before you get there heading south), look for the attractive boathouses, waterworks, and art museum with Rocky steps. If you have just actually been there and walked around, it will be esp fun.

Why are you going to Philadelphia, just to see it? There's certainly plenty to see, but you might want to stop in Baltimore too, it is quite nice in spring if the weather is good--the water taxis beginning running some time in April.

Posts: 2652 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Sojourner, thanks for the reply. I was giving up hope on any info from the group.

We will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale by ship and will be driving a rental car from there north to DC, sightseeing along the way. I thought I could then get rid of the car in DC. We would stay a few days in DC then train to Philly. Stay there a couple of days then train to NYC. That is why the return from NYC rather than DC. And yes, we would take the train all the way home to LA so your advice on the AGR to Denver or ABQ is very helpful.

Why are we going to Philly, etc.? Because my husband has never been to any of these cities and he wants to see the historical and interesting stuff. I know it could take many, many days to see it all but highlights will have to do. We expect the driving/train part of the trip to be 10-14 days then the LD train directly home.

As for Chicago, probably no stop there except to transfer but maybe we will have time for lunch with Gilbert.

Any more ideas based on this additional info? Train Lady, you might also have some input here.

--------------------

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VickiI am waiting until I can get to my journel We did the Ft L -DC and I do have notes on that. I can tell you that Rte 95 is a real zoo and to be avoided if possible, I"ll be back with you soon.
Also plan to use a red cap in DC they take you out to the train in an electric cart which sure beats walking and in Chicago the walk is really long. I thought i was walking back home. But you have to tell the conductor just before Chi that you need the cart and give your name to the red cap whenyou get off.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie, if you don't mind paying for two conveyance for one trip and your planned sightseeing is "take it or leave it', this would appear to be your opportunity to give Auto Train a try. It truly is Amtrak's "best foot forward'.

Yes, renting an auto to use Auto Train is paying for two conveysances to do one job, but you will join the company of DPM who once did just that during 1972, albeit Southward. However, since auto rentals back then also had a mileage component within their rate structure, he reported in TRAINS that he had a "bit of explaning' to do when he turned in the rented auto in Orlando - with some 50 miles driven - and flew back to Milwaukee (DPM was also an airfan).

This time, we'll simply do Millers Pub; haven't been back to Riva since our '07 Dinner there (somehow it could be said I really don't miss it).

Posts: 10401 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thougjht of that too but realized that you would then miss Savannah and Charleston ( 2 of my favorite places)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are driving up from Ft Lauderdale to see some stuff, you might want to take scenic route A1A so that you can see the mansions of Palm Beach etc., maybe at least as far as the Jupiter/Juno Beach areas, also very nice mansions (Burt Reynolds lived up here). You might then get onto Route 1, perhaps, to save time; there's also 95 but I don't think you see much from that (don't know, never drove north of Jupiter/Juno, I take the train!) As you are looking to stop in historic places, you should look into St Augustine, FL, which rivals Santa Fe NM as the oldest city in America. A1A may go all the way up here, though I imagine that could be slow going, but Route 1 also goes here . . . well, you have to ask others about the driving route. Anyway, it's many years since I was in St Augustine but I recall really liking the town, in spite of a few honky tonk elements (like a wax museum, to be avoided!)--it is on the coast on Matanzas Bay (Slaughter Bay so named because the Spanish came here and slaughtered all the French who had come before!). You will want to see the old Spanish fort (a national monument, I think), the lovely old square with cathedral (and there was a fine cafe/pastry shop nearby, but that was early 1980s!), and the Flagler (I think that was name) historic museum, which had some really neat stuff. There were also the (debatably, with Santa Fe, I suppose) Oldest House, Oldest Jail, Oldest School. . . well, it gets a bit much, but I recall liking the Oldest House. I also remember some lovely old homes on streets with trees hung with Spanish moss; not sure what kind of hurricane damage the town has had. And when I was there, there was a little free trolley all around town so you could stay in an inexpensive motel on the edge and leave your car there. . . . but like I said, it's nearly 20 years since I've been there, so likely things have changed a bit, but I imagine still nice. And there are beaches too of course. There was also a quarry but I didn't go to that. . .

If you prefer to take a more internal route, I really enjoyed my stop in Winter Park (by train) this winter and will be happy to tell you what I did there too.

Savannah and Charleston are both lovely, but if time is an issue, you might only do one, as they are somewhat similar and close to one another. If so, I'd recommend Charleston, which in my experience had more to do & see in its tourist area, which was even nicer than Savannah's (and also has better restaurants). Again, I will give you my (few years old) info on either city if you decide to stop.

From Charleston there's the coast road through NC but I expect that would take you too long. You might just head up highay to Virginia, lots of history there; I quite liked my stop in Richmond last year, and Williamsburg/Jamestown isn't too far from there (though a detour, as you are heading to DC). David P can tell you all about staying in Ashland, too, I imagine, though I've never been.

Washington itself is simply chock full of things to do and see, and I'll be happy to give you tips closer to your trip, but one thing to remember to do is to arrange with your Congressperson in advance so you can get in early for the tour of the Capitol--this is not the legislative chambers (I've never done that) but the new Visitor Center (very interesting) and tour of the rotunda, crypt, etc etc. I also strongly recommend the Library of Congress behind it (take the building tour once you get in).

Philadelphia has lots of history, esp around Independence Hall. As noted, if the weather is good, Baltimore is also worth a stop, with all its water taxis inc to Fort McHenry etc (and if you still had your car, Annapolis MD would be very nice indeed as well; as would DelMarVa ferry to Cape May, Jersey shore, but I doubt you have time for all this.)

NYC is a great city, of course, esp if the weather cooperates, though hotels are vastly overpriced (too many European tourists, and dollar so low they can afford things better than we) . . . but again, for all these places, I'll be happy to give you tips when you are closer to travel time.

I would recommend you go back to DC and take the Cap Ltd rather than do the LSL but that would cut into your time in NYC, so you have to decide. One thing I should mention is that the Club ACELA Lounges do not have checked luggage the way Chicago does; they just have a place where you leave luggage. I don't know what sort of valuables you might have in luggage going on a cruise but do keep that in mind. Personally, I've never had any trouble with my luggage in any of these lounges. . . and Club ACELA Lounge in DC is far nicer than Chicago (or NYC). But if you are taking the LSL, you can just check luggage.

BTW, to me it doesn't make sense (and would be a waste of money) to rent a car and then take the Auto Train!

Posts: 2652 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
As I read Sojourner's report I was struck by the fact that 2 people can be in the same place and see things so differently. To me Savanna and Charleton are totally different and I would suggest you go to both. If necessary just spent a day and an overnight in each. We took a tour of both cities and having the time went back and saw what sounded interesing. In Savanna it was by bus and Chas. horse drawn carriage. In Savanna be sure to see the interesting down spouts on the houses. We found wonderful restaurants in each city. If time allows do take the boat out to Ft. Sumpter.Another thing to do if time allows is take one of the Gullah tours. It is fascinating. Also keep in mind that it gets very hot and humid that time of the year so early spring is the time to go.
St Augustine was not one of my favorites and I would skip it if time was short.
As to the coast road.. we take 17 between Myrtle Beach and Chas. simply because it is faster and little traffic As to scenery if you have seen one pine tree you have seen them all.
If Congress is in session try to get passes to the chamber of either the houe or senate. It is interesting to listen to the verbage and I won't start a debate here. The passes go very fast so as soon as you know what yur timeschedule is arrange for them via your congressperson.
Be glad to give you more help as needed. Just know I think you have a terrific trip planned. I have spent so much time in NY over the years that I could happily skip it. I think it is noisy dirty and crowded

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think there is little opportunity for 'star gazing' along the Florida Gold Coast (yippie do; Tom Selleck lived immediately South of my Father's condo in Lighthouse Point - reportedly a "regular guy' off-screen). While there are some Ocean vistas along A1A, the 'stars" UNO: Bernie Madoff and friends, all have gated residences and many have guards.
Posts: 10401 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
On the Florida coast I know we intend to visit the Space Center and the Wildlife Refuge on the north part of the same island. We suspect we will leave the cruise ship, get the car and drive to Titusville that day, about 200 miles. We would stay there for two nights and then head north.

I have been to both Charleston and Savannah and loved them both. But what I loved, touring the old homes, etc. is not what my spouse would love. I have ordered the tourist stuff from all the states and will be doing some heavy reading.

I am still not clear why the concensus to take the Capitol Ltd. There seems to only be a few hours of daylight on either train, the hours after boarding. So scenery would not be a great issue. We would get a bedroom.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Train Lady, you may be right about St Augustine; it's a long time since I was there (early 1980s), though I really liked it when I was. And I do like both Savannah and Charleston--though I think there are similarities--colonial-era southern port, lovely old homes nicely restored or kept up, Spanish moss on trees etc etc--but certainly I agree, if one can see both, should do. But one thing I will never agree with you about: I would not waste time listening to Congresspersons talk! (OTOH I think Capitol building tour--dome etc--are very much worth seeing.)

Re Cap Ltd, Miss Vicki: It depends when you are going in spring, but if late April to June you should have at least 4 hours of light from departure. I think it's very pretty, esp Harpers Ferry stop, and Martinsburg has the roundhouse, and I really like everything until dark. Plus you have the observation/lounge car from which to see the views, which you don't have on the LSL. But of course going up the Hudson on the LSL is very nice too, it's just that only about 2-1/2 hours. But if you want more time in NYC that day, obviously LSL is the train to take.

graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driving North through Florida on US 1 is very slow going..lots of lights,traffic and not really all that interesting. Taking A1A North to West Palm is scenic,then get on 95 and take 95 to Daytona Beach. After you exit get back on A1A to Jacksonville. You'll be right along the Ocean, pass through St Augustine(worth a stop) and if you would like,stay on AIA North of Jacksonville to Fernandina Beach. You'll need to take a short ferry. Very nice. 95 and 17 run together on the way to Savannah for a short time. Agreed..Savannah and Charleston are interesting cities.

I 've taken the train from Fort Lauderdale North and drove it many times. If you want more train time,take the Silver Star(I think)..that will take you to Tampa before heading up to Jacksonville. The train stations in Jacksonville, Savannah and Charleston are way out of town,however if you spend time in Jacksonville, taking the Meteor and then switching to the Star,you ll have time to take a bus downtown to the waterfront. The bus leaves right from the station.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning "scenery" on the E coast of Florida --

on A1A, if you've seen one oceanfront condominium, you've seen them all

On U.S. 1 or I-95, if you've seen one pine tree, you've seen them all

I do recommend a visit to the Space Coast and Kennedy Space Center, however, plus also St. Augustine. Of course, there's always the beach........

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Sojourner I think everyone should be in one chamber or the other for about 20 minutes. when they see how these characters behave people woould be more careful who they elect. I have seen people reading the paper, comic books, standing around talking while someone was standing in front talking. It is disgraceful.
as to St Augusdtine don't you thinkeach of us has a different focus? I go more foe the historical. By the time we got there I was very tired of houses.
If you go to Wmsburg make certain first that the college is not having somethingspecial going on. During special events the town is more of a zoo than usual.
You might waant to consider driving along the N. Carolina coast above Myrtle Beach (which has fabulous sea food) to little towns liked New Berne.
If you have time go to Brookgreen gardens about 90 miles north of Chas. It is an incredible sculpture garden. Check out their web site just for pure enjoyment.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
BTW, to me it doesn't make sense (and would be a waste of money) to rent a car and then take the Auto Train!

I certainly agree Ms. Sojourner, if Auto Train is a service one has no desire to try out.

But when I review postings made here, enough people have stated they'd like to try it out, but were constrained by needing an auto to do so.

Miss Vickie and Mr. Art have made the choice that, for this Atlantic Coast segment of their trip, they will have a rented auto. It is their call to what extent they have interest in so doing and in the process foregoing visits to Savannah and Charleston (Space Coast and Williamsburg could still be 'dos").

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Hi Vicki,

Work has been hectic lately or I would have done better for you sooner.....fortunately there are some good folks here who know the northeast better than I.

Let's talk about driving though -

If you are in to interesting (and nicely restored) historic railroad stations (which are still used by Amtrak), you may want to venture 45 minutes off I-95 to visit the Hamlet, NC station. The also nice but nearly as impressive station in Selma, NC is barely 1.5 miles off I-95.

Now....... if you have a little time (such as an extra day) and would like to avoid some of I-95 and get a much prettier eastern US drive, let me make this suggestion -

From Charleston set out on I-26 westward to Columbia, SC and then take I-77 northward through Charlotte, NC. North of Statesville, NC you will ascend eastern edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains and drop down on the other side into Wytheville, VA. From here you will take I-81 north through Roanoke, VA and up the famous Shenandoah Valley. (Two nice railroad museums in Roanoke.....one has real trains and the other is dedicated to the photography of Winston Linke and his fabulous shots of N&W steam locomotives in the 1950's).

Just before Winchester, VA and about 4-5 hours driving beyond Wytheville, you will take I-66 eastward for about an hour down to the Washington, DC Capitol Beltway.

Less traffic, better scenery than I-95 which, frankly, you'll be tired of by the time you get to South Carolina and you won't even be halfway there yet!

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're in St. Augustine for lunch or dinner, I'd certainly make a reservation for the Columbia Restaurant. We had dinner there a couple months ago and were frequent visitors when we lived in Jacksonville. At one such meal, the CSX President was at a nearby table - but it is reasonably priced and not 'over the top'. The owners are Cuban and have several restaurants in FL.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I go for the historical too, Train Lady, much more than for houses, am surprised I gave you an impression of otherwise. I do like seeing architecture too, and taking architectural tours (as in Chicago), but I'm much interested in that from the outside, as I walk around--or in public buildings (like Grand Central STation or the Chicago Cultural Center), not houses. I also like nice grounds and gardens more than the houses. But I sometimes like visiting homes of interesting writers etc etc . .

I thought the history in St Augustine was very interesting--oldest Spanish town in America (arguably with Santa Fe), stories about the original settlements (e.g., Slaughter Bay, Ponce de Leon, etc etc). I don't remember any houses in St Augustine, other than Oldest House (which I thought nice). Savannah seemed much more a place for people who like houses; in fact I knew someone who used to buy and restore old houses there. I don't recall visiting any houses there, though I might have visited Juliet Low's if it were open. I am not a big Flannery O'Connor fan either but I think that was closed too!

I did visit some houses of worship, all quite interesting. But mostly I walked all over, and went into every little park on the map. There is an interesting cemetery as I recall too. I also must have taken some kind of walking or buggy tour, something like that, because I remember getting a little tired of hearing about the Garden of Good and Evil (which I never read, and which sounds a very unpleasant book to me) and Forrest Gump (which I didn't like when I was there), though I liked hearing aobut Hoagy Carmichael! Also, when I was there, the River Walk was inundated with college students, so that is probably also part of why I liked Charleston better. Also, I've been to Charleston twice. I definitely had fantastic food there! Savannah was OK, but not so memorable. . .

In both, I found the distant location of the train station irritating.

Re legislators: I have of course seem some state legislators in session on all my visits to state capitals, but I prefer when the chambers are empty and a good tour guide tells me some interesting history of the place!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page