RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Roomette * 19 * ? ?

Author Topic: Roomette * 19 * ? ?
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I booked June trip on Texas Eagle to Chicago on phone with Guest Rewards today. Theresa the rep stated I was assigned "Roomette 19" (that's one-niner). And the confirmation email also noted "Roomette 19."
My experience and understanding of Superliner config is upstairs Roomettes 1 - 10, and downstairs Nos. 11-14 (we all know the layout ).

Has the numbering changed? Am I missing something? I'll pick up my ticket Saturday at Fort Worth and can get the down-low from the agent there, but thought I'd ask here first.

BTW, fare was $112 and room was $259 for those keeping score at home. Thanks everybody.
Buhhhh-bye.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, a bud on another Forum replied Room 19 is in the dorm sleeper. Good to know. I've never ridden in the transition sleeper before. Oh boy.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy the Dorm Car as it has less foot traffic
and the unused Conductor Office can be used for picture taking if your room is on the opposite side of the car.

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which brings up the question, Why is the conductor's office unused?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

Because the conductors prefer to commandeer a table in the sightseer lounge to arrange their ticket receipts?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

Because the conductors prefer to commandeer a table in the sightseer lounge to arrange their ticket receipts?
Generally they sit downstairs in the Dorm Car and use those tables for their office-- I've rarely seen them use a table in the revenue lounge car, David.

Either on 3/4 or the Sunset/Eagle--->they work out of the Dorm Car, downstairs. Did you know there is also another odd little room at the other end of the DC, that was originally intended for the On Board Chief, I think. (It's next to where the stairs go down to the Bag Car.)

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad Bob,

Is this the odd little room you are referring to?

When I found it they appeared to be using it for storing mattresses and pillows.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy- that is the room he is referring to. It was designed to be used by the OBS Chief and as you noticed, now has become a room to store anything and everything in...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The major defect in the transition sleeper is the shower/restroom configuration. You step out of the shower into the area in front of the toilet. If that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned, you definitely want to be wearing your flip-flops...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right guys-- that is the odd little room. [Smile]
If I recall I once actually saw a PA system handset in there- which ostensibly was to be used by announcements from the OBS Chief. I never remember anyone ever actually sleeping in that room during my working days. One good reason was its location- directly above the trucks, and right next to the possible noisy baggage car. Rough riding little room. Generally, the Chief was put into a room in one of the revenue sleepers or a more centrally located dorm room.
A little more "comfortable" you see...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
The major defect in the transition sleeper is the shower/restroom configuration. You step out of the shower into the area in front of the toilet. If that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned, you definitely want to be wearing your flip-flops...

Smitty,
You're the best! This info is important. I always pack flip-flops. Maybe you could get a photo of this, so we could use it with your rolling-suitcase-on-the-roomette-step pic! Thanks.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chief, I thought I had pictures of that shower, but cannot find them from 2004 or 2003. My wife may have them on her computer. I'll keep looking this weekend.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page